Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge Frispel...It looks like an Akubra Federation to me.

fed4-darkbrown-large.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I will once I somehow get that hat... just found out it costs 120 bucks... :eeek:

Yes, and probably around $165 in the Heritage felt - plus shipping, customs and VAT. Oh yes, welcome to hat wearing too :D

It's a lot of money, but you don't get a descent felt hat any cheaper - and they really are descent hats. A lot better than most other modern off-the-rack hats. Hats cost - but they are such a joy, and you'll all too soon be hooked ;)

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Lovecityhatters - it's what in the UK would be called a trilby, and in the US a stingy-brimmed fedora. It's got a centre-dent and from what I can make out either has a cavanagh edge or rolled edge. You could find a nice condition vintage one for not too much on ebay.

BlinkyInky

New in Town
Big and floppy flat cap

After looking at this thread and rewatching Voyage of the Dawn treader, I've realised how much I like the vintage style of flat caps more than the sleek and stream-lined versions I see everywhere today. Does anyone know where I can get one, preferably a tweed (I like Harris the best)?

Here is a picture from the Narnia movie
1-edmund.JPG

bloc

One of the Regulars
New question..
Presumably you only need a band block if you are not blocking to the full depth of your crown block? If you are using the full depth of the block you would be able to leave the block in when you do the brim work?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
After looking at this thread and rewatching Voyage of the Dawn treader, I've realised how much I like the vintage style of flat caps more than the sleek and stream-lined versions I see everywhere today. Does anyone know where I can get one, preferably a tweed (I like Harris the best)?
You need to look thru the cap faction thread to see the caps being made.
Cap-Faction/page272

Here is Cordova Caps thread.
Cordova-Handmade-Caps-1920s-Vintage-Styles

Simonds Caps thread
Simonds-Caps

You will be able to get the cap you are looking for.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Thanks (but no thanks...)

I owned a Statesman a while back that was basically a Snowy River copy. This ones seems to be a Cattleman copy.
I trimmed the brim down & tried to raise the crease some but it was just too low crowned to start with.
It was a plain chocolate brown color, seemed like decent bunny fur felt. I ended up sending to Art for his Cash for Clunkers.
Mine didn't have the vent holes, bound edge or that nice of a hat band.
I'd say if you like that look, that it is worth $40.

Thanks, both to you and tonyb above.

I went and looked at it, tried it on. The crown is fairly low, the brim is WIDE at nearly four inches, and it's a bit darker tan than the picture in the ad... flash must have paled it.

It was my size, sorta. The shape is a very round 7-3/8, and I'm a very elongated, knobby-boned 7-3/8. Everything is stretchable, I suppose, but that sucker is STIFF. Like, makes a new Stetson Cattleman feel like an old paper sack level of stiff.

I passed on it, even for forty, as I don't need the project and it wasn't quite my cuppa.

Cheers,

Jack

Mystic

Practically Family
Hi Guys...Been a while since I've been around. But, I do look in from time to time.

I have a penny's Marathon dating question. Searched some older threads and found one liner logo like this one but no mention of any dating. My search ability is limited.

Now, if i can remember how to post photos....any ideas on possible dating of liner and sweat logo. I have one or two with the "M" liner and one with the Circle with swirl lines, this is the first I've had like this.
IMG_1514_2_zps28f3b43e.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1515_2_zps4e9db1b1.jpg
[/IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

John Galt

Vendor
I'm no expert, but it is unreeded and has an oilskin liner protector. I also believe it is probably an early 1950's hat.

[Edit - an eBay seller has an unlined Marathon hat with the same design, he claims 1940's or even 1930's. I will stand by my estimate.]

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy