Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matthewlawson3

New in Town
Ah, both are new Stetsons, then. Neither older than 10 years, likely. What exactly did you want to know about them?

I bought the Cordova Saxon a week ago and have had the Midnight Saxon. They are the same hat, just a different color. So I was curious why the logo crests are different on the underside of the crowns? Does that imply one is older than another or something else?

Landman

One Too Many
I've got a couple of liner replacement projects on the go. I need to re-insert the liner from a Biltmore western that I was was able to peel out while wet & washed up in order to remove dye staining; plus I've got a liner coming from the goodly ManOfKent to retrofit into an unfinished Beaver Brand homburg. I get the impression that liners are generally glued in these days rather than sewn in place, using a thick glue which doesn't penetrate into the body of the fur felt.

Can someone recommend the adhesive which I should use?

You really don't need to glue or stitch a liner in place. If the liner is the correct size the sweatband will hold it in place. Makes it easier to remove it if you want to during the warmer months. I do that with several of my hats.

Landman

One Too Many
I bought the Cordova Saxon a week ago and have had the Midnight Saxon. They are the same hat, just a different color. So I was curious why the logo crests are different on the underside of the crowns? Does that imply one is older than another or something else?

The hat with the red, white and blue liner might be a little older but they are both fairly new hats.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Hello,
I saw a hat recently online that I liked, it had a size tag of 6w. After some research I found a size chart with French hat sizing information and in the French size a 6 translates to a 7 3/8 in USA size. Does anyone here have any further information about other hat sizes, I am assuming it is an adult sized hat, the smallest adult sized hat I have seen in the US scale is a 6 5/8, perhaps a 6 would be a child's hat or perhaps it is a European size of some type. Thanks for any information you may have.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello,
I saw a hat recently online that I liked, it had a size tag of 6w. After some research I found a size chart with French hat sizing information and in the French size a 6 translates to a 7 3/8 in USA size. Does anyone here have any further information about other hat sizes, I am assuming it is an adult sized hat, the smallest adult sized hat I have seen in the US scale is a 6 5/8, perhaps a 6 would be a child's hat or perhaps it is a European size of some type. Thanks for any information you may have.

The old French hat sizes and corresponding Italian Punti aren't used much now but you'll find them on some vintage hats: http://www.genaconti.com/HatSizeConversion.htm

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Hi,
Thanks for the information. This hat is definitely vintage so it looks like a 6 does translate to a 7 3/8 US. Thanks again for your help.

viclip

Practically Family
You really don't need to glue or stitch a liner in place. If the liner is the correct size the sweatband will hold it in place. Makes it easier to remove it if you want to during the warmer months. I do that with several of my hats.

I think that I'll try this first. Why complicate things unnecessarily?

John Galt

Vendor

I agree with Landman. This matches my experience, except when a liner is very floppy, in which case it can be steamed and maybe even lightly starched back to shape over a block or can. I never glue liners on any hat. I stitch them. On my own personal hats, I sometimes tape them with strips of paper tape, which is easily removed with steam and holds quite well.

Incidentally, as Landman suggested, the original liners are sized individually for each hat size.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
I'll pursue any solution which prevents me from poking myself with a sewing needle &/or gluing my own fingers together. Over the weekend I'll see how my Biltmore western goes with the original liner simply reinserted. Today my new but linerless Beaver Brand homburg arrived from Missouri, once the liner arrives from the UK courtesy of ManofKent I'll see how that goes too with simple insertion (the orphaned liner comes from a 7-5/8 hat which matches my homburg's size ~ what are the odds of that!)

HoustonVeer

New in Town
In reading the forum, it appears that the Akubra polystraw hats and some of the Tilley models appear to be popular choices in hot climates where thundershowers might ruin a genuine panama hat.

Do I have this right?

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
I recently had someone at my church anonymously give me a vintage Milan Stingy that appears to date from the 50's or so. I still don't know who gave it to me, but they left it in my Panama that was sitting under my chair upside down while I was in another room. At a size 7, I have been able to barely make it fit by putting it in my stretcher (I wear a 7/18 to 7 1/4). Aside from being a bit faded, it is a super generous gift in that, the hat doesn't really look like it was ever worn. I've never been a huge fan of the stingy brim style, but I'm working on getting used to it, and I certainly like the hat. In any case, here's my question:

The hat is labeled as a Pedgree Fifth Avenue New York. On the band it says "Andrew Gross Custome Hatter" and lists the address in Oakland. Searching the web, I've found that this was a top notch hatter who used to operate in Oakland, who did fantastic one-of-a-kind hats for top dollar. So what I'm wondering is, how much of this hat would be the work of Pedigree in New York, and how much would be the work of Andrew Gross? Also the bad says that it is genuine imported Milan. Given the notion that the hat was made in the 50's to no later than the 60's, based off the union label, what would this mean specifically? does it indicate a level of quality? Does it show what materials it is made of? The hat is a light brown color with a multicolored pugaree band. Thanks for any and all help!

GregNYC

One Too Many
Is there a thread on this forum where we can make random observations about hats? For example, I had an observation about fedoras in the lowrider culture. Where would I post something like that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou