Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Is there any difference between a fedora and a Trilby? I think of the Trilby as having a tapered crown and a short brim with a sharp curl to it, almost always snapped up in back and down in front. I saw a lot of these this summer, more on women than men! If that is a Trilby, I prefer a fedora!!!!

trilby.jpg

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Trilby just refers to a stingy brim fedora, usually less than two inches, I think. (Unless you're Joao ;) ) I see a lot of them being worn with the brim up all the way around.

fedoracentric

Banned
That is an argument we've had endlessly here.

The origin of the word "Trilby" doesn't limit it to any particular brim width.

Still, for many in the USA trilby only refers to stingy brims, and the 2 inch and less brims, at that. However, in the UK trilby refers to about any fedora and is used more interchangeably there than it is in the US.

So, the short answer is that trilby means fedora, but the long answer is it depends on where you are and how you use it.

With as much argument as we've seen over the question here on the site, I'd get used to just imagining that trilby is just another word for fedora and has no minutely specific meaning past that.

If you mean stingy brim... say that.

Heck, we even recently had an argument with some here claiming that a porkpie looks like a regular, full sized Stetson Open Road hat, so... sometimes it's hard to nail things down around here!
[huh][huh]

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
Thanks for the UK vs US distinction. In all the UK literature I've read, they use "trilby" and hardly ever "fedora." So I came to think of it as a more generic term....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
5 not counting my gardening/camping slouch hats that don't have regular use, but really, most of the time it's two that I alternate to go with my blacks and browns in my clothes rotation. Everything follows the rotation of my shoes...

GregNYC

One Too Many
I just began this hobby a few weeks ago on the recommendation of my derm. Plus I've wanted to wear good hats for a long time. So far I have about 7 straws and 3 felts. Not counting sun hats for hiking. One straw I became not too fond of. The rest of the straws are in rotation. And I'll start with the felts as the weather cools...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
Q: How many hats in your rotation?

Are you guys all single???
I would never post the number of hats I have in a public forum that my wife could possibly see!
I try to have no more than six hats at any given time out where they could be seen at home.

fedoracentric

Banned
I would never post the number of hats I have in a public forum that my wife could possibly see!
I try to have no more than six hats at any given time out where they could be seen at home.

Ha, I love that. And I sympathize... seriously. I am 100% on board with that.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer

Where do you hide them ????? Every time the secretary of war opens the closet the cat is out of the bag--and I am more than occasionally reminded of that fact.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Any recommendation for cedar chips, sachets, or moth balls for my hat boxes? Something that has worked well for you? I see all kinds of different cedar chips and moth balls, with reviews all over the place. One reviewer said he saw a moth actually sitting on a cedar chip after three days in a drawer. Thanks!!!

fedoracentric

Banned
Moth balls are bad. First of all they stink, but more importantly the caustic agents in them can damage your hats. don't use them. Best thing to do is keep the boxes well closed. Moths get in when the lids are ajar. But also occasionally get them out of the boxes and look them over. Bugs like things that aren't disturbed and they need time to do their damage. So, move them around a bit and keep any eye on things.

John Galt

Vendor
Any recommendation for cedar chips, sachets, or moth balls for my hat boxes? Something that has worked well for you? I see all kinds of different cedar chips and moth balls, with reviews all over the place. One reviewer said he saw a moth actually sitting on a cedar chip after three days in a drawer. Thanks!!!

I bought cedar fence boards because they are rough cut, still fairly green & aromatic. I paneled the back of a door with hooks, and cut the rest into blocks, which I put in my hat cupboards & boxes. So far so good.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I ordered some cedar blocks and some cedar oil that I can use to refresh them with. But I will also take Fedoracentric's advice and keep boxes sealed tightly, and check on the hats every so often. Thanks guys!!

dnjan

One Too Many
Where do you hide them ????? Every time the secretary of war opens the closet the cat is out of the bag--and I am more than occasionally reminded of that fact.

I have a number of boxes of old papers, etc. The boxes with hats (most are generic-looking cardboard boxes) get kind of mixed-in ;)

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face

Errr, what will happen when she reads this post?

I have a fixed monthly budget for fun, clothes, etc. What I do with it is my business, and there is no interference from my better half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy