Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ingineer

One Too Many
Moon ;
Wild .. guess
Korber Hat co. Fall River MA
They had a lot of legal arguments re the use of "Milan"
And the lower carriage fees might be in that favor

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My son wants to buy a Stetson Western hat, Open Road. There is a 4x and a 6x option. The 4x has buffalo hair in it. Can anybody give me some counsel? thanks.

Only choose the 4x buffalo in last option. It's like wool.
A 6x can be bunny/hare (if beaver is not mentioned) will be a better hat.

RobertM

Familiar Face
I have a growing list of hats, but have a question - I am also looking to get a QUALITY - not a throwaway beater, hat that can stand up to the elements - rain, snow, hiking, etc. and still look great.
Is Akruba the stock brand of choice? Beaver over rabbit? Or would anyone suggest going custom?

R

RJR

Robert,you're opening another can of worms.Everyone has his own opinion.Akubras are tough,stylish and reasonably priced in either grade.I suspect most who have done much experimenting will suggest custom if you can afford it.Then there's Ebay/ETSY..........
Good luck.

RobertM

Familiar Face
Robert,you're opening another can of worms.Everyone has his own opinion.Akubras are tough,stylish and reasonably priced in either grade.I suspect most who have done much experimenting will suggest custom if you can afford it.Then there's Ebay/ETSY..........
Good luck.
Thanks, RJR. Yep, I figured this would be a can of worms type question and don't want to overthink it. Also, I don't mean to suggest that I am looking to wear that hat in a heavy snowstorm, monsoon or for 6 days on a trail; I'm a city guy, not Indiana Jones, even though Ford looks great in it, I wouldn't and would never want to clone that hat, but that's the idealized version of what I am thinking about.
There are also the wool one like this - which is also not what I'm looking for either.
http://www.orvis.com/p/man-s-best-friend-wool-fedora/17bs
Actually, I have just placed an order with Bob from Black Sheep Hatworks to get me in that cue, and was giving thought to having that custom hat be the one for my purposes.
Or simply get an Akruba and call it a day.

R

RobertM

Familiar Face

bsharpblues

New in Town
hi, i m a newbie on vtg hats n this seems to be the right place to ask questions. can anyone tell me more about pre war flat top fedoras? i am interested in getting one. they are not creased down the center but are not top hats apparently, n i suppose have soft felt?
many thanks in advance. i did do a search for flat top fedora in here but too many threads came up with no specific way to find the answer.

I have a growing list of hats, but have a question - I am also looking to get a QUALITY - not a throwaway beater, hat that can stand up to the elements - rain, snow, hiking, etc. and still look great.
Is Akruba the stock brand of choice? Beaver over rabbit? Or would anyone suggest going custom?

R

Akubra is my brand of choice for a good using hat around the ranch, camping, hiking, hunting, etc. for cooler months. I take the liner out for warmer seasons.
I do have an ArtLite custom in undyed natural beaver with vent holes that gets used during the hot summer months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran