Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bsharpblues

New in Town
That style was popular from the mid-1950s to the early-1960s. They enjoyed an earlier period of popularity in the early part of the century, but almost every one that comes up for sale or auction are 1950s.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Thank for the INFO Brad. Any info on "They enjoyed an earlier period of popularity in the early part of the century" - like 20s? 30s, and were part of what style or movement - like who would wear them, what occasion, what materials? as far as i understand, fedoras were not yet super popular in the 20s, and skimmers were outdoor hats, while top hats were dress hats. so these must fall somewhere in between?? i have seen not boaters/skimmers straw hats with what looks to be a pork pie crown, but i have no idea how those were used as well, ie in what type of setting.

bsharpblues

New in Town
Keeping alive the Hatting History of Crofut & Knapp, Dobbs, and Cavanagh since 2004. Visit my blog, The Hatted Professor.
New website under construction at TheHattedProfessor.com!

- nice blog! great reading for a newbie like me.

javadave61

Practically Family
Question regarding Stratoliners - What is the difference between the Royal Quality Strats and the Premier Quality Strats?

R
I've tried for a while to figure this out, and here's how I think it works. There are three grades of fur... Royal, Royal Deluxe (aka Premiere) and Excellent. Royal quality is not that good (imho) and has done much to rile up the folks here in the Lounge. Royal Deluxe/Premiere is much more acceptable. I have several and am satisfied, but still not vintage quality. I'm very happy with it myself. I've never handled an Excellent quality felt.

javadave61

Practically Family
QUESTION: Where does the 2 inch brim fit in the evolution of the fedora?

Or asked another way, it seems that the wider brims were popular in the 40s & 50s with the stingier brims (say, under 2 inches) being popular in the 60s and 70s. As I've grown comfortable with wearing my fedoras, 2 inches looks too stingy on me and feels very 60s to me....

...yet today at an antique store, I came across two 2 inch brimmed hats that looked quite vintage, likely from the 50s. One was a Knox with a Cavanagh Edge. The other an Adams. Both with that great vintage feel and 50s look (and both in my size!) until on my head. Then it felt 60s, if that makes sense. I didn't want to pull the trigger only to find they get little head time.

It just made me wonder where you guys place the 2 inch brim.

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Ever since I've gotten my first felt this summer I don't feel the urge to buy anymore hats. I'm more of a vintage suit guy I guess.

Anyone else like this?

Lotsahats

One Too Many
QUESTION: Where does the 2 inch brim fit in the evolution of the fedora?

Or asked another way, it seems that the wider brims were popular in the 40s & 50s with the stingier brims (say, under 2 inches) being popular in the 60s and 70s. As I've grown comfortable with wearing my fedoras, 2 inches looks too stingy on me and feels very 60s to me....

...yet today at an antique store, I came across two 2 inch brimmed hats that looked quite vintage, likely from the 50s. One was a Knox with a Cavanagh Edge. The other an Adams. Both with that great vintage feel and 50s look (and both in my size!) until on my head. Then it felt 60s, if that makes sense. I didn't want to pull the trigger only to find they get little head time.

It just made me wonder where you guys place the 2 inch brim.

Years ago, this debate raged particularly hot, with many insisting that 2" brims were not seen before the 60s. If memory (and the archives of the lounge) serve me correctly, though, brim widths of that variety were also reasonably popular in phases during the 20s and 30s.

A

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Ever since I've gotten my first felt this summer I don't feel the urge to buy anymore hats. I'm more of a vintage suit guy I guess.

Anyone else like this?

Why? Are all your suits one style and one color? Shoes?

I wear felt hats as practical and fashion accessories. I wouldn't wear the same hat fly fishing that I would in a suit. I wear a different hat with a brown suit than I wear with a gray suit. Then there's the whole climate thing to consider: I look good wearing a velour fedora in the dead of winter. Not so much in July.

To each his own though.

Roger

Pinkcoke

New in Town
I have three Akubra hats I thought were vintage, now looking at apparantly the same styles still available I don't know. Two are Cattleman style one is Snowy river. One has a foil edged round size tag and that looks a tad older than the flat printed style size label the other has. They all have the stick in oval centre label. Is there any way to tell the older examples from the modern with these?
Also the Snowy River is a sandy green colour does any one know what shade this is? I don't want to say its beige or khaki and get it wrong!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Why? Are all your suits one style and one color? Shoes?

I wear felt hats as practical and fashion accessories. I wouldn't wear the same hat fly fishing that I would in a suit. I wear a different hat with a brown suit than I wear with a gray suit. Then there's the whole climate thing to consider: I look good wearing a velour fedora in the dead of winter. Not so much in July.

To each his own though.

Roger

Interesting.

I'm a big fan of medium grey to light grey suits, so yes all my suits are in one color. I find my moonstone FED IV "good enough" for summer.
Black cap toe is all I need =). I might find a pair of black brogue shoes if my cap toes ever wear out.

I still enjoy wearing my ushanka, so another felt is out of the question =). Well at least for now that is.

nidan48

New in Town
It's generally no more complicated than buying from the U.S., other than the wait times for shipping - or if the hat is not in stock, it can often take a few months for them to make it. As far as duties, I know it can be stopped at customs and some kind of customs charge added, but so far, I've never had that happen.

Thanks for your info, sorry it took me so long to acknowledge.
J&J Hat's opinion is my old Squatter is in great shape.
I might be more of an Akubra type than a Borsalino though
and it would be nice to be able to buy outside of USA.

ingineer

One Too Many
i have no proof but i think the difference is in the tanning ;
the Akubras might be vegetable tanned sweats which would explain the shrinkage;
the US made perhaps chromium ( more common) tanned which fixes the leather dimensions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy