Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Wet the sweatband and place in a heated environment. Worked well on the Akubra. But, the Stetson isn't quite the same.

never tried this with a new Stetson ... but I was on a roll last week shrinking my Akubra hats ... which all shrunk up beautifully just wetting the inside of the sweat and putting in the car for literally like 45 min.... I decided to try it with a late 50s OR

the sweat on the OR is in pretty much brand new condition so I wasn't worried about it .... it didn't work ... got pretty much zero shrinkage

no damage to the sweat and back to the reduction tape I went ... which is fine ... the hat fits great with it in there

after doing the car technique to my Akubra hats .... and the Stetson as well ... just for my own sanity ... I hit the sweats off with a little Chamberlains No.1

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Back with a familiar question: Can a new Stetson be shrunk in the same manner as an Akubra?

I've successfully shrunk Stetsons as well as other brands by wetting the underside of the sweat with hot water and placing on a lampshade with sweat turned out with the light turned on. Check every 15 mins. or so. Not sure what manner you're referring to , but that's my method.

never tried this with a new Stetson ... but I was on a roll last week shrinking my Akubra hats ... which all shrunk up beautifully just wetting the inside of the sweat and putting in the car for literally like 45 min.... I decided to try it with a late 50s OR

the sweat on the OR is in pretty much brand new condition so I wasn't worried about it .... it didn't work ... got pretty much zero shrinkage

no damage to the sweat and back to the reduction tape I went ... which is fine ... the hat fits great with it in there

after doing the car technique to my Akubra hats .... and the Stetson as well ... just for my own sanity ... I hit the sweats off with a little Chamberlains No.1

The older sweat on the OR might not respond like a new sweat.

I've successfully shrunk Stetsons as well as other brands by wetting the underside of the sweat with hot water and placing on a lampshade with sweat turned out with the light turned on. Check every 15 mins. or so. Not sure what manner you're referring to , but that's my method.

It seems that most of the newer Stetsons are running a little large. I'm fully expecting to try this with one I have on order. We'll see...

rogerstg

A-List Customer

I used your method this afternoon to shrink a Christys' London 7 3/8 down to a nice fitting hat. My size is between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. I bought that hat not realizing that English hats are one size larger, so 7 3/8 is really 7 1/2. It also removed the bulges in the sweatband from the foam spacers.

Thanks,
Roger

foamy

A-List Customer
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna think about it for a short while.

I committed one new hat to it last night. If it's successful, I'll try it on the Stetson. If not—I'll send it back.

Last edited:

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I used your method this afternoon to shrink a Christys' London 7 3/8 down to a nice fitting hat. My size is between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. I bought that hat not realizing that English hats are one size larger, so 7 3/8 is really 7 1/2. It also removed the bulges in the sweatband from the foam spacers.

Thanks,
Roger

You welcome.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I've done it successfully with all types of hats. You can let it air dry naturally or on a lamp or in a hot car. If it doesn't work well enuff the first time, try it again and saturate with a little more water and dry it longer and/or hotter. I've had to do some 2 or 3 times but it's never failed to work. You obviously must invert the sweat inside out and it doesnt work well w fake leather sweats.

javadave61

Practically Family
Also the Snowy River is a sandy green colour does any one know what shade this is? I don't want to say its beige or khaki and get it wrong!

Pinkcoke... I have the Stockman (shorter brimmed version of the Snowy River) and it's in sandstone fawn. It has a greenish greyish brownish look to it.

attachment.php

MelancholicNostalgic

New in Town
Question: Does anybody have a link to a thread(s) that is dedicated to photographs of how typical people dressed (i.e. family members/people on the street/etc.)? Kind of like the "Show us their suits" thread, but aimed at how average people dressed, instead of movie stars/famous people.
I vividly remember seeing such a thread awhile back, but I've been fruitless in my attempts to find it again.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Question: Does anybody have a link to a thread(s) that is dedicated to photographs of how typical people dressed (i.e. family members/people on the street/etc.)? Kind of like the "Show us their suits" thread, but aimed at how average people dressed, instead of movie stars/famous people.
I vividly remember seeing such a thread awhile back, but I've been fruitless in my attempts to find it again.

These will keep you busy:

Shorpy All Stars

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars

Roger

Pinkcoke

New in Town
Pinkcoke... I have the Stockman (shorter brimmed version of the Snowy River) and it's in sandstone fawn. It has a greenish greyish brownish look to it.
Thank you, I think you are right it is Santone fawn. I managed to locate the green Cattleman shade online as bluegrass green.

Re: dating of these hats, I decided the two Cattleman's (one with the familiar orange/black logo size tag) must be contemporary, but the Snowy River has a gold foil edged round size tag and the plaited leather band is slightly different to the current model, it is finished with a short piece of the same band over the join, and the metal Akubra tag does not have the registered symbol, so I still think it might have some age... Is anyone familiar with when this version was produced?

Last edited:

Pinkcoke

New in Town
Long shot I know but does anyone know who might have produced this hat? it is red fur felt, marked made in England size M, with a leather sweat band, fancy acetate satin lining and plaited hat band.
DSCF7865.jpg DSCF7868.jpg DSCF7869.jpg

Impatient

New in Town
I'm not sure whether I should ask this here or in a new thread, but does anyone know a (reliable) way of getting in contact with Robert Weber from panama.biz? The panama.biz website seems to be on ice (or dead).

I made an order in November last year, received two out of three but I'm still waiting on one hat. I've also moved house and the USPS or whoever shipped them last time don't go through the normal postage route so they ignore the redirect I have on my mail. I've sent emails to both the email addresses I have for him but I haven't received a reply since February.

I'm not sure whether I should ask this here or in a new thread, but does anyone know a (reliable) way of getting in contact with Robert Weber from panama.biz? The panama.biz website seems to be on ice (or dead).

I made an order in November last year, received two out of three but I'm still waiting on one hat. I've also moved house and the USPS or whoever shipped them last time don't go through the normal postage route so they ignore the redirect I have on my mail. I've sent emails to both the email addresses I have for him but I haven't received a reply since February.

I can direct you to this thread. I have no current dealings with him; however, his business model appears to be in a bit of an upheavel.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?30760-Panama-Bob/page56

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy