Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
well after waiting 2 weeks member Pimple has ignored all messages and never paid for classified hat that I asked about a few weeks ago. The moral of the story is to set time limits before calling a deal done. Shame I have to call somebody out on this forum for refusing to pay for a hat they asked to buy

Reactions: RBH

PorscheFedora

New in Town
I just purchase a used Akubra and there is a bit of pitting of the felt. It is barely noticeable (with the naked eye) but I was wondering if there is a way to repair it? After looking at it under magnification there is quite a bit. Thanks!

Help! Some of my hats are starting to mildew. Mostly the ribbons, some on the inside sweat. Any safe way to eliminate this? Will whatever is in Lysol mess up the ribbon? It's also starting to grow on the leather soles of some of my shoes. Any suggestions? I've tried vinegar, didn't work too well - the mildew came back, and I tried Lysol - worked on some pairs, came back on others. Haven't tried anything on the hats yet.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hydrogen peroxide kills mold, but not sure what a weak solution (not hair bleach strength, but antiseptic strength) would do to colors on the ribbons. Might be best to try it on a ribbon scrap first.

Dale, leather is a moisture sponge, especially if at floor level. If possible, get your boots and hats up where the air circulates around them. If you're seeing greenish areas around the sweats of your hats, it's probably because of the air/moisture interaction withe the brass reed in the sweat. Use a mild soap (Ivory) in warm water to clean the mold and dry in the Sun, if possible

stephena310

One of the Regulars
This may not be the place to ask this question, and I will preface it by stating that I am "technologically challenged" - but i just took a number of photos of a few hats that I recently purchased with a "cannon - sure-shot" and downloaded them to my computer to post...when I try to post them to this site, I get an "error messages" stating that the photo file is too large for my server??? What???? Can anyone explain what is happening???? How I can fix this ???? Advice please !

Thanks for responses regarding the mildew. I just went ahead and lysoled the hats, the two worst afflicted are in desperate need of a cleaning/rebuild anyway and I figured if it ruined the ribbon I'd just get it replaced too.
Bamaboots, I currently have my boots stored on wire shelves, like you'd find in a commercial kitchen, and it hasn't stopped the problem, which has only recently started since it cooled off enough to not run the ceiling fan 24/7, which was the case all summer. Not sure how I'm gonna dehumidify the room until it warms up in the spring.

ingineer

One Too Many
Dale;
a dehumidifier will add some heat to the room in the winter, it is an air conditioner in reverse
So this is the best time
Strong UV ie. Sunlight is needed to dry and kill the spores
Don't brush them inside, you'll spread the spores around

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Thanks RJR - I've not had problems before, but now I'm not sure if I am going about it the right way. If I click on "Image", the only option I get is URL and not the alternative of "from computer" as it was before the website was updated. (Excuse me for being somewhat challenged in the IT dept.).
Chris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR