Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
question about shellac:
I recently read an interesting article by The Hatted Professor about bowlers and have a few question for any of you hatters. What type of shellac is used for stiffening felt and how is it applied? Does it loosen with heat and how is it affected by moisture? Thanks in advance for any input.
I use 1 part Bulls Eye Shellac with 1 part Bickmore Kahl Hat Stiffener, mixed with 2 parts denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. Spray it on and steam it to help it absorb into the hat.

Willybob

A-List Customer
Very good info gents. Thanks for your input. Now off to my lab to experiment on a few fortunate rescued yard sale finds.

Dandy Wonka

New in Town
I was pleasantly surprised to notice the other day that one of my Borsalino's was part of the "Rainproof Line" and made of "Water Repellent Fur Felt".

Does that mean I can wear it in the rain - no matter how hard? What do you do when you get home as far as caring for it when it is wet?

I have always been scared to wear my hats in the rain.

tommyK

One Too Many
Dandy, You can wear pretty much any fur felt hat in the rain. I wouldn't hesitate to wear my modern Borsalino's in the rain as well as vintage hats like this Whippet.
7464e7d9-2c3e-4ee1-905c-09ae97fc6335_zpszneby20u.jpg

That's a hat worth $600+ getting wet. It's not my first choice for bad weather but it can take it. I just flip the brim up and let it dry naturally. A hair dryer or heat would be bad
5abe40a4-ce50-4342-b2cf-dc5aad6d999a_zps9wbarmtp.jpg

50's Royal DeLuxe Open Road fresh from pouring down rain. It dried on my head after the rain stopped

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Any decent fur felt should hold up to rain. All hats will eventually need a reblock. Soaking a hat through to the core is never a great idea, but it takes a lot of rain to do that. I've given up on umbrellas for the most part and just grab a nice beaver hat (or an Akubra!) for rain.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Any decent fur felt should hold up to rain. All hats will eventually need a reblock. Soaking a hat through to the core is never a great idea, but it takes a lot of rain to do that. I've given up on umbrellas for the most part and just grab a nice beaver hat (or an Akubra!) for rain.
+1 on this. Or even a wooly.

Gunship

New in Town
I agree with the recent posts -- never a great idea to get one totally soaking wet, but most good ones can take even that as long as you are patient enough to let it dry naturally. I usually set mine upside down on the crown while drying. Hey - if your hat needs a re-bash, the perfect time is when it's still slightly damp.
In my limited hat experience, for "waterproofness", in order of decreasing resistance are beaver, beaver/rabbit blend, rabbit, wool. Sorry - I haven't experienced the VS beaver/mink blend so no history on that.

It's the sweat you have to worry about more than the felt. Especially on a vintage hat. This past summer, my wife's Adam Milan got soaked in a downpour while we were at an outdoor show. I did everything you're supposed to do, flipping the sweat out, letting it dry slowly, etc. It still crinkled, cracked, and came away from the reed, and I had to replace it. Same downpour, completely soaked beaver body D'Aquino - no harm no foul.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the recent posts -- never a great idea to get one totally soaking wet, but most good ones can take even that as long as you are patient enough to let it dry naturally. I usually set mine upside down on the crown while drying. Hey - if your hat needs a re-bash, the perfect time is when it's still slightly damp.
In my limited hat experience, for "waterproofness", in order of decreasing resistance are beaver, beaver/rabbit blend, rabbit, wool. Sorry - I haven't experienced the VS beaver/mink blend so no history on that.

I know a lot of people suggest resting a hat on the crown to dry but I disagree with that method

it occasionally results in flat spots on the crown

I recommend hanging the hat to dry ... preferably on something without a sharp or pointy hook

I put tennis balls on all my hat hooks

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Question 1: Is there anyone on this forum that makes their own hat liners that could provide information or a pattern for making liners?

Question 2: Any tips and tricks for sewing a liner into a hat? I assume if done they are just tacked in. Is there a good needle for this and I assume it is done very last after the ribbon work has been completed. Currently I tack premade liners with hot glue.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Question 1: Is there anyone on this forum that makes their own hat liners that could provide information or a pattern for making liners?

Question 2: Any tips and tricks for sewing a liner into a hat? I assume if done they are just tacked in. Is there a good needle for this and I assume it is done very last after the ribbon work has been completed. Currently I tack premade liners with hot glue.

look around for a guy named DOGMAN and tell him Moon sent ya

don't look him directly in the eyes though ... and never ... and I mean never feed him after midnight

... and if you hear howling... back away man... back away slow

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Chuck made me a liner for the EC (Encarnado Custom).
It's not sewed to the hat, it's only tucked in and it's fine.
20150709c.jpg

That is a nice liner Joao! Chuck already gave me some good advice and I will give it a try this weekend. Wish me luck! If it looks decent then I'll post a picture. For now it will be just a solid color as I have some quality silk that I am going to be using.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran