Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
image.jpeg
So after much pursuing of the Internet and looking at suggestions given here I went with a Black Creek hat purchased on Shoe Buy for 31.00. If I don't like it I will go the Akubra Balmoral.
Thanks for the imput.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hello Michael A, As a hat maker who has tried his very best not to purchase tools and materials from outside sources, I've decided that it is not worth my time to try to make my own sweatbands, which would likely be inferior, when they are relatively inexpensive to purchase. Fern-Thatcher makes very nice roan leather sweatbands and the goatskin sweatbands from JW at JW Hats in Utah are excellent and are my personal preference. Our very own Bond, for an additional fee I think, will cut your sweatbands to size, bell them, and sew them together so they are ready to sew into your hat. I think I'm paying around $4 plus shipping per band from JW and he sends the ferrules with your order. I believe it would actually cost me more than that to make my own. If you do decide to make your own sweats I'm sure we'd all love to see a picture or two. Good luck and Happy Hatting.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I would have to agree with @humanshoes on this. The cost of the sweats are very low from the suppliers he has mentioned. I had thought about doing this myself for a while, the cheapest way to cut the sweat out would be using a rotary cutter but since that is hand operated there is a good chance of making a mistake. Those suppliers like JW Fern-Thatcher all likely use a clicker press ($3,000+), then they need a die for the sweat shape ($200+), Special sewing machine to sew the reed tape on with reed ($2,000+ if you can find one). Then there is the cost of the leather, reed tape, reed, and ferrules. Having said all of that you might be like me and the enjoyment comes from the process and having made something yourself and you only need a couple then all you really need is a rotary cutter, a template and patience. You can hand sew the reed tape to the sweat.

Good luck.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I found a straw hat I really like the style of but the price is WAY CRAZY imo. I was hoping others here might know of cheaper alternatives. The last straw hat I bought was about $60. This Ofarrell starts at $675!!!! And goes up to $999 for better straw!!!

Here's the hat. Let me know if you are aware of something like it.
Fedora style crown (diamondish pinch front) with a not too big pencil roll brim.

http://ofarrellhatco.com/images/links/1681-Arkin_P23.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
here is a question about a double standard on the forum

and this is absolutely nothing against Art ... he has nothing to do with it and his work deserves as many threads as one can type

.... but if I or anyone else starts a thread that merely mentions a topic that is remotely similar to a topic of an already made thread from 2003 that has been buried since 2006 that thread I started will be immediately merged into and lost to the abyss of the old thread that hasn't been visited since Frunos beard had pigment ...

but sitting right on top of the forum are two Art Fawcett VS threads with the exact same content coexisting in consistent bliss

now again ... not complaining about the two VS threads ... I love Arts work and think it is wonderful and should be spoken about every day all day ... but if that is the case then leave other threads alone that may have a semi similar topic to some thread started over a decade ago

ya dig ? (<official question for the question thread )

Last edited:
here is a question about a double standard on the forum

and this is absolutely nothing against Art ... he has nothing to do with it and his work deserves as many threads as one can type

.... but if I or anyone else starts a thread that merely mentions a topic that is remotely similar to a topic of an already made thread from 2003 that has been buried since 2006 that thread I started will be immediately merged into and lost to the abyss of the old thread that hasn't been visited since Frunos beard had pigment ...

but sitting right on top of the forum are two Art Fawcett VS threads with the exact same content coexisting in consistent bliss

now again ... not complaining about the two VS threads ... I love Arts work and think it is wonderful and should be spoken about every day all day ... but if that is the case then leave other threads alone that may have a semi similar topic to some thread started over a decade ago

ya dig ? (<official question for the question thread )
One is Art's Official affiliate thread which he has a right to by paying those dues as a hatter & the other is Hall of Fame started by general membership to praise his work.
Not sure what you mean by get lost in old threads but looks like the barkeeps pull stuff forward when the same topic is resurrected.
Keeps old info from being lost to the back pages....

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
One is Art's Official affiliate thread which he has a right to by paying those dues as a hatter & the other is Hall of Fame started by general membership to praise his work.
Not sure what you mean by get lost in old threads but looks like the barkeeps pull stuff forward when the same topic is resurrected.
Keeps old info from being lost to the back pages....
and what is the difference between those threads ...

what is being posted in the non official thread that could not be posted in the official thread of the exact same topic ?

and what is the difference between those threads ...

what is being posted in the non official thread that could not be posted in the official thread of the exact same topic ?
One is under control of the hatter & the other is not. Don't expect any hatter to stop free publicity of post into their Official Affiliate thread but that is the only 1 the hatter can post to for promoting models & services. The Hall of Fame is forum members posting what they want about the hats they get from the hatter. Nothing stops redundancy except the posters. These folks keep replying & reposting every photo somebody just posted over & over again & you're asking these questions about the bartenders?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
One is under control of the hatter & the other is not. Don't expect any hatter to stop free publicity of post into their Official Affiliate thread but that is the only 1 the hatter can post to for promoting models & services. The Hall of Fame is forum members posting what they want about the hats they get from the hatter. Nothing stops redundancy except the posters. These folks keep replying & reposting every photo somebody just posted over & over again & you're asking these questions about the bartenders?

same exact thread twice

simple as that

by your theory I could start a thread right now called "Links to important hat forum threads " or "ask a question, get an answer" and nothing would happen

same exact thread twice

simple as that

by your theory I could start a thread right now called "Links to important hat forum threads " or "ask a question, get an answer" and nothing would happen
Didn't say that at all. You pay to be an Affiliate like the hatters do & you get a Moon The Loon Official Affiliate Thread. Make a hat worthy of a Hall of Fame & maybe somebody will post a photo of the hat in both.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Didn't say that at all. You pay to be an Affiliate like the hatters do & you get a Moon The Loon Official Affiliate Thread. Make a hat worthy of a Hall of Fame & maybe somebody will post a photo of the hat in both.

you are completely missing my point

have a great day

Eliesti

A-List Customer
yes Hats Direct is a reputable source
Never had a problem and Trudi has made every purchase a pleasure

Agree. Great company. Don't know anything about that hat though. I believe it is an exclusive to Hats Direct like the Fed IV. Looks nice though and has a generous brim (larger than the Cattleman but smaller than the Territory).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy