Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mm25

One Too Many
I can't stand the feeling of the back of the brim bumping on the headrest and it happens in my car and truck, so not model specific. I set it on the passengers seat.

DiscoVolante

New in Town
First time posting on here.

So I've been trying to track down the right Panama fedora and having some fun doing it. After several image searches I kept running into this same hat, which is 100% my style and exactly what I'm after (images below). The photos are different but it's the same person wearing it in each shot i.e. actor Ian Somerhalder. While the hat looks fairly generic I've yet to find anything that resembles the exact shape/color/material. It looks to be a 2" brim w/ about a 4" crown. Light brown/dark natural color. I've tried searching these parameters and looked through sites, but haven't quite found it yet. If anyone can identify the hat, can recommend a site/link to a similar hat, or has any searching tips I would be appreciative.

Thanks all

Attachments

• hat1.jpg
    hat1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 129
  • hat2.jpg
    hat2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 101

commanderbond

Familiar Face
I'm considering buying my first Stetson Cowboy hat and have a couple questions for anyone knowledgeable about
them. The models I'm looking at are the Skyline 6X and the Paradise 20X.
The Paradise is over double the price for the higher quality felt. Is the difference really that noticeable?
Is one apt to be stiffer or more flexible than the other?
Unfortunately there aren't any stores in my area that carry these hats in order to check them out first hand.
Also, is it difficult to alter the cattleman crown if I want to go for a different look down the line?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I'm considering buying my first Stetson Cowboy hat and have a couple questions for anyone knowledgeable about
them. The models I'm looking at are the Skyline 6X and the Paradise 20X.
The Paradise is over double the price for the higher quality felt. Is the difference really that noticeable?
Is one apt to be stiffer or more flexible than the other?
Unfortunately there aren't any stores in my area that carry these hats in order to check them out first hand.
Also, is it difficult to alter the cattleman crown if I want to go for a different look down the line?
Visually they look the same, it's at the touch you can "see" the difference on the felt.
Both can be stiffer or more flexible depending on the shellac and how you weaken it.
The cattleman crease can be easily removed with steam and the guys at the hat store can do it for you, leaving it open crown so you can crease it or do the crease you want.
You only need to take in account that some creases requires more crown height than a cattleman, so choose wisely.

Is the difference really that noticeable?
First welcome to the forum, CB.

The answer to your above question really boils down to how you plan to use the hat. Will you wear it regularly all day long? Outdoors in all kinds of weather? Will it be part of a small rotation of hats you wear daily? Or will you only wear it a couple times a month out clubbing?

As a first western hat other than hand feel when you put it on you likely won't feel any difference between a 6X & a 20X felt. Any difference in comfort will come from the actual fit to your head & the width & quality of the sweat band. The fit will vary from hat to hat even within the same grade & model of hat. The only way to know for sure is to try them on, & I know you said their are no stores close. In comparing sweat bands compare the type of leather used, the width, the stitching & overall quality.

In subtle ways a properly fit 20X will be more comfortable when worn all day long. However the main difference between a 6X & a 20X will be in how they stand up to weather. A true 20X felt will shed water, recover & stand up to hard use much longer than a 6X will.

Having said all of that & not being familiar with either the Skyline or the Paradise, my recommendation would be to stay with the 6X as your first western hat.

PapaDoc

New in Town
I’m a new member and this is my first post. My question is on steaming with a tea kettle. I see a lot of You Tube videos and most posts on here make it seem easy, but they never point out the don’ts when steaming/shaping a hat. I had a bad experience once trying to shape a hat using a tea kettle. I had a Stetson 6X beaver cowboy hat that I ruined because of using a tea kettle. The crown seems to be no problem but the brim is what I have trouble with. What happened was the brim edges buckled/wrapped when I tried to shape the brim sides. And I’m not sure what I did wrong. I took it to a hatter in the city and he said it was unfixable. Now I’m terrified of trying to steam/shape a hat. Have other people had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

I have watched Kevin's ( The Fedora Doctor over on Youtube) videos over and over again . He is a great teacher. I was almost tempted to buy a professional hat steamer on Amazon, but discovered a wallpaper steamer in my garage that was used only once. By removing the hose and replacing just the hose connector ,I ended up with a perfect substitute: it puts out a nice gentle steady stream,it is light, portable and fits nicely on a kitchen counter-top. Do yourself a favor and check out Kevin's videos if you haven't seen them. Like many things, I quickly learned that what looks like a simple task is actually an art.

andysturm

New in Town
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi everyone,

I am searching for a hat like this from Van Morrison.
Seems to me like a Fedora with a slightly "upward-turnend" brim?
I can't find a hat like this online that's why I need your help.
Do you know hats that look like this (as close as possible)?

Thank you so much!!!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 56461 View attachment 56460 View attachment 56458 View attachment 56459 Hi everyone,

I am searching for a hat like this from Van Morrison.
Seems to me like a Fedora with a slightly "upward-turnend" brim?
I can't find a hat like this online that's why I need your help.
Do you know hats that look like this (as close as possible)?

Thank you so much!!!

those hats are literally everywhere

search eBay, JJ Hat Center, Delmonico Hatters etc.

from this
http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/center-crease/products/the-blues-fedora?variant=244734988

to this
http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/center-crease/products/the-cordoba-in-grey?variant=7044656772

and everything in between

andysturm

New in Town

Wow...I liked the first one though the front is not turned up but the second one is incredible and comes pretty close. Thank You!!!

For my further searching:
So am I right that this is a Fedora? And what good brands are there? I couldn't find such a model at Stetson at the moment...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Wow...I liked the first one though the front is not turned up but the second one is incredible and comes pretty close. Thank You!!!

For my further searching:
So am I right that this is a Fedora? And what good brands are there? I couldn't find such a model at Stetson at the moment...

you can wear the brim however you like ... brim position is not permanent
you can snap it down or put it up ... however you wish

yes it is a fedora ... and brands don't really matter

just get a hat you like

andysturm

New in Town
you can wear the brim however you like ... brim position is not permanent
you can snap it down or put it up ... however you wish

yes it is a fedora ... and brands don't really matter

just get a hat you like

Well I didn't know that...thanks...completely New to hats.

One more question: would you say that's a 2'' brim?

Last edited:

Jonro

New in Town
Will a fedora be harmed by getting wet? Is it okay to wear a hat in a light rain? You can't exactly stick it in your pocket to keep it dry. Is there a special way to dry it to preserve its shape and size?

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Will a fedora be harmed by getting wet? Is it okay to wear a hat in a light rain? You can't exactly stick it in your pocket to keep it dry. Is there a special way to dry it to preserve its shape and size?

It depends on what your fedora is made of. Wool may shrink when it gets wet. Fur felt (e.g. Rabbit or beaver) should be fine in the rain. Make sure not to dry with heat or it will shrink. Also, make sure to store it upside down on its crown in a shape that you want it to retain. It will stay in whatever shape you left it wet in. Also, if you store it right side up on its brim while drying, the brim will sag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy