Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
at that size you will be able to collect some nice pieces for really cheap ...

the only down side is that if you ever want to move them you could never ask a premium because the demand for that size is minimal

The sweat logo and "Guild Edge" medallion stamp are of mid to late 1950s based on the Prof's wonderful website. Truly a wonderful looking lid! My Dobbs Twenty has the same markings. If possible, gently pull down the sweat band in the rear to reveal any manufacturer tags, they are also a clue to age. The above website discusses the variations of these with some dating info. Maybe you will luck out and have an actual date written under the sweat.

1on1

One of the Regulars
Hi guys- Need your advice on this one..ok I am looking to buy a hat online, its 22", my head circumference is 22.25", can I realisticly stretch it for that extra quarter inch ? Its a vintage felt fedora with the leather sweatband ofcourse...

Your quick responses is much appreciated as the auction will soon close.

regards
1on1

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I always wait to have the hat in hand, and then wear it for awhile before making any decisions like that. Who knows, it might fit you really well.

I sit between sizes 7-3/8 and 7-1/2 (59 and 60cm), and have a little bit of a long oval head shape. Sometimes the 59 is just too tight, sometimes even a 60 has been too tight... but sometimes the 59 fits real good and a 60 wobbles around on my head because it's so loose... it depends on the maker of the hat, and sometimes that varies, too.

I'll let others speak to the question about stretching the hat. I've read about it and watched videos, but have never tried it myself.

Generally, the answer would be yes. There are considerations. Sometimes a vintage hat will not retain the larger size. Sometimes the shape of the brim will be affected. Sometimes the sweatband will create an embossment in the felt that can be seen. Sometimes the sweatband will be unhappy with the stretch and sometimes it might break, though usually not with a small amount of adjustment.

On the other side, sellers often measure the inside perimeter of the hat incorrectly. It might fit you perfectly, or actually be smaller than stated.

If it's close to what you wear and you love it, I'd go for it. Unless I am bidding on it too.

1on1

One of the Regulars
thanks for the super fast reponses guys..hehe so many hats at reasonable prices online right now- its really a buyers market. Odd thing tho, while there are a ton of hats on ebay/etsy, few are in a charcoal grey (what I am looking for) and in a size 7 1/4. Browns and greys where the most typical colors yet there are a ton of browns and blacks - few grey's..i guess i'm being a bit desperate, if I wait i'm sure i'll find a size 7 1/4.

FedOregon- its Mallory, I asked seller to re-measure along leather sweatband and its 22" he re-confirmed, my heads at 22.25", if you were in my shoes, would you go for it ? BTW I have a shaved head so no chance of hat fitting "when I get a haircut" or something hehe..

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I would defer to Alan's expertise here, and give it a try. On the other hand, I was buying hats for my daughter and I thought the pickings were better in 7-1/8 and 7-1/4. I just got her a nice Stetson Stetsonian in a darker grey/charcoal color for under $100, and it's in incredible condition.

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
I've had success in both stretching and shrinking hats to size.

However, I also snapped the sweatband on a Biltmore that was only one size too small. I was (and remain) upset by that. The sweatband claimed it was "leather" but if so, it was a very low quality leather! The Akubra sweatbands have given me no trouble...

RJR

You must like the hat;I'd go for it.If you have a hat shop close they may be willing to do the stretch.If no store is close,get a good stretcher,dampen the sweatband,do the stretch and let it dry on the stretcher.It may well take more than one try since leather tends to shrink.
Good luck.

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
Hello all,

I've been looking into getting a new (and proper) 30s/40s-style fedora, and I found the Grand Central from Stetson. It comes open crown (though I will likely crease it with a teardrop crown). For whatever reason, I can't seem to find any good images or information on this hat. As far as I can tell, it's got all the qualities and characteristics of a classic fedora, but I'd like to know if anyone has had an experience with this Stetson, or if I am missing something about its shape that might make me reconsider. For example, I'm not well-versed enough to know definitively if this hat has a straight crown, or if not, how much of a taper it has. I'm looking into purchasing around the holiday season so I am in no rush and want to make sure I am getting the best I can in terms of style, quality, and price. Any advice or opinions are more than welcome.

Here's a link to the Grand Central at DelMonico Hatter: http://www.delmonicohatter.com/Stetson/TFGCNT122361.htm

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking to get a floppy woman's hat and turning it into a pirate hat for my son. Question is what kind of paint can I use on it that won't bleed or flake off?
Johnny

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Looking to get a floppy woman's hat and turning it into a pirate hat for my son. Question is what kind of paint can I use on it that won't bleed or flake off?
Johnny
Could you use a fabric dye? Guessing a dye would be the only kind of colorant that would not flake off but you could try a craft water based paint.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
So size. My recent vintage Dobbs was listed as a 6 7/8" but tags inside say a 7. My 4 1/2 borsolino is closer to a size 7 (and it fits looser than I prefer so I have some crafting felt behind the sweat),yet the Dobbs feels tighter than a 6 7/8". I know hats that old would have shrunk a hare (no pun intended),
And the sweat would have dried up a bit and also shrunk.
Still, that much from a 7?
I applied some Lexol neatsfoot oil to rehydrate the sweat a bit.
Point is, my other Dobbs ,the fifteen, will be here any day now and now I am concerned that the 6 7/8" will have even gotten smaller. Guess we will see.
Might have to send it to A hatter to stretch it out a bit if it did and reassemble.

So size. My recent vintage Dobbs was listed as a 6 7/8" but tags inside say a 7. My 4 1/2 borsolino is closer to a size 7 (and it fits looser than I prefer so I have some crafting felt behind the sweat),yet the Dobbs feels tighter than a 6 7/8". I know hats that old would have shrunk a hare (no pun intended),
And the sweat would have dried up a bit and also shrunk.
Still, that much from a 7?
I applied some Lexol neatsfoot oil to rehydrate the sweat a bit.
Point is, my other Dobbs ,the fifteen, will be here any day now and now I am concerned that the 6 7/8" will have even gotten smaller. Guess we will see.
Might have to send it to A hatter to stretch it out a bit if it did and reassemble.

It can be a crapshoot, sometimes. I wear a 7 1/4, and have never failed to find that the 7 1/4 I got off the Bay or from somewhere else fits me. Some are looser, some are tighter, but I've never experienced one that had shrunk so far that I couldn't wear it. And I find 7 1/8 hats too tight.

Just my experience.

+1 I got a Emerson stingy off Ebay that had shrunk a full TWO sizes down from a 7 1/8 (as marked). Probably, the old hat got drenched in a rainstorm and was set on a heater or radiator to dry. Shrunk beyond repair. No amount of stretching would force it back to it's original size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy