Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Does anyone know anything about an Italian hat company called Griffon ?
First thing I found was a reference to the Itallian Griffon, a breed of dog.

The I found this. <Google books> Maybe it will help as a starter.

OTOH, Mayer and/or Daniele probably know more than everything you or I could find on the Interwebical.

pedestrian

New in Town
Hello everyone,
I think I have found two good contenders.

I like the sounds of Tilley's T4. It seems nice and simple, with a large brim in front.
http://www.tilley.com/us_en/t4-cotton-duck.html

I still like the idea of the Filson Bush hat; even though it is likely to be warmer in July and August.
http://www.filson.com/men/hats-and-caps/tin-cloth-bush-hat.html

I think I will send the links to my sister so she can look at the pictures and let me know which one she can best picture me wearing.

I looked at the Campdraft on the HatsDirect website. I think with the shipping & handling, it is just a little too far out of my budget right now. I'll pick up either the T4 or the Filson before the rains come this spring, then maybe save up and get an Akubra next year. Having a second hat to wear while the other one is drying out from the previous day's soaking is a reasonable long-range plan, I think.

On the topic of soaked hats: I was thinking I might want to look into hat-jacks/hat-stretchers. Many of the reviews of the Tin-cloth hats warn about shrinkage when wet (and usually dried improperly). I imagine a similar risk arises with wool-felt and cotton-duck hats too. When I get home, after walking through the rain, would putting my hat on a hat-jack hold it at the correct size and prevent shrinkage?

I received a couple of gift-cards to amazon as holiday gifts. I did a quick search and found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Hats-...TF8&qid=1482857712&sr=8-1&keywords="hat+jack"

Would that suit my purposes?

Thanks.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hello everyone,

I like the sounds of Tilley's T4. It seems nice and simple, with a large brim in front.

I still like the idea of the Filson Bush hat; even though it is likely to be warmer in July and August.

I think I will send the links to my sister so she can look at the pictures and let me know which one she can best picture me wearing.

I looked at the Campdraft on the HatsDirect website. I think with the shipping & handling, it is just a little too far out of my budget right now. I'll pick up either the T4 or the Filson before the rains come this spring, then maybe save up and get an Akubra next year. Having a second hat to wear while the other one is drying out from the previous day's soaking is a reasonable long-range plan, I think.

On the topic of soaked hats: I was thinking I might want to look into hat-jacks/hat-stretchers. Many of the reviews of the Tin-cloth hats warn about shrinkage when wet (and usually dried improperly). I imagine a similar risk arises with wool-felt and cotton-duck hats too. When I get home, after walking through the rain, would putting my hat on a hat-jack hold it at the correct size and prevent shrinkage?

I received a couple of gift-cards to amazon as holiday gifts. I did a quick search and found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Hats-Heavy-Stretcher-Large-7/dp/B001XON4E6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482857712&sr=8-1&keywords="hat+jack"

Would that suit my purposes?

Thanks.
what size are you ?

if you are 7 1/4.... 58 or slightly larger ... I can make your Campdraft wishes come true

Hello everyone,

it'

I think I will send the links to my sister so she can look at the pictures and let me know which one she can best picture me wearing...
Between those two, I'd go with the Filson. It appears to have a slightly wider brim, which would offer better sun protection.

...I looked at the Campdraft on the HatsDirect website. I think with the shipping & handling, it is just a little too far out of my budget right now. I'll pick up either the T4 or the Filson before the rains come this spring, then maybe save up and get an Akubra next year. Having a second hat to wear while the other one is drying out from the previous day's soaking is a reasonable long-range plan, I think...
Look at the Everything Australian website as well. They generally have lower prices than Hats Direct, but don't keep as many hats in stock so you might have to wait a few months (while they order it from Akubra) before receiving your hat from them. That's the trade-off--lower price, longer wait time sometimes. Also, it's summer in Australia right now and the heat usually forces Akubra to close for two or three weeks, so keep that in mind.

...On the topic of soaked hats: I was thinking I might want to look into hat-jacks/hat-stretchers. Many of the reviews of the Tin-cloth hats warn about shrinkage when wet (and usually dried improperly). I imagine a similar risk arises with wool-felt and cotton-duck hats too. When I get home, after walking through the rain, would putting my hat on a hat-jack hold it at the correct size and prevent shrinkage?...
A hat jack will maintain the size as far as the "sweatband" is concerned, but will do nothing to prevent the crown from shrinking or the brim from distorting if the material is prone to shrinkage. With a fur-felt hat (like the Campdraft), as long as you let it dry on it's own and don't use a heat source (i.e., a blow dryer or space heater) to try to dry it faster you shouldn't have a problem with shrinkage.

eli104

New in Town
What part of Georgia does he live/work?

He's actually in Dallas Oregon, but I just had a 1950's Borsalino fixed up by him (removed and restitched the leather sweatband, also cleaned and reshaped the hat) for about $70 plus shipping. Well worth it because it looks great and he preserved the old GB Borsalino sweatband even though it had been glued and stitched on a repair back in the early 1970's.

Eli

He's actually in Dallas Oregon, but I just had a 1950's Borsalino fixed up by him (removed and restitched the leather sweatband, also cleaned and reshaped the hat) for about $70 plus shipping. Well worth it because it looks great and he preserved the old GB Borsalino sweatband even though it had been glued and stitched on a repair back in the early 1970's.

Eli
What! A Pacific Northwest Hatter to add to my list. Hey FedOregon, did you know about this guy. You are closer to Dallas than I am. Does this person have a website? Contact information?

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Uhhhh I got a question here.

Why are majority of the hat manufacturers are situated in Fifth avenue New York?
Saks, Dobbs, Pedigree, Lee NY and etc.

Was it a hat manufacturing street or something?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Fifth ave. was and is historically lined with some of the most prestigious and most expensive shops in the world .... and is still considered one of the best shopping streets in the world.
It also holds some of NYCs greatest landmarks .
If you shopped on Fifth ave. you clearly had some expendable cash.
In the heyday of hats fifth ave. was the place.
Look into the history of fifth avenue NYC and it will all make sense.
from Washington Square Park to Harlem it is quite a sight to see

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko