Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks! This is very helpful. I am waiting for the seller to send me some further photos and to remeasure the block in question. It has a '22' embossed in the block but she says that it measures 22.5 inches (7 1/8). If it comes out my size on the block, it may work, and if not, the duffer cap may work (I think I read about that in the 1919 hatting book, but your explanation is much clearer!). Cost is about 75 but I am in the UK so the chances of finding a 52 block here are probably slim, unless I buy a modern repro (there are several manufacturers here) but that will cost north of 120.

We should move this exchange to the "buying a hat block... " thread, I don't know how.
I don't know either, but you can email me if you'd like. I was just in between jobs here. You can find a 52 block, I'd bet on it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Lightweight hat bodies- Custom Hatters

Wondering if anybody had any comparisons of "lightweight" fur felts from any of the custom hatters? I know there is the VS Art Fawcett "Artlite" that I believe uses Beaver Lightweight hat bodies. I also seen some MC Gannon hats that take the standard dress weight hat body and are thinned by hand to a lightweight felt (not sure if these are available in rabbit and beaver felts or just beaver?)

I am looking for a lightweight hat for summer to compliment my PB Bros Straw Hemp as I know quickly my other few fur felts will see NO head time in the very near future as the heat and humidity rise or they will be drenched with sweat stains! Vintage lightweight is not an option (trying to keep cost down) but I was looking for a rabbit lightweight option if there is one; it would be nice to have 2 hats in the rotation for the hot humid summer in the south. thx
Art did have some early 1950's vintage (extremely light weight) hat bodies. I would contact him and ask for a price. Wouldn't hurt.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Some of the felt in general, in general has been wonderful in respect to that. I just made Scootez, a hat that would likely feel, in the hand as close to a vintage felt weight . I'm just making a general observation and statement that may help .

Thanks Tim, I will definitely check out the hat you made for Scootez.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Art did have some early 1950's vintage (extremely light weight) hat bodies. I would contact him and ask for a price. Wouldn't hurt.

Thanks Bob. Thanks for that info and possible option.

Lightweight hat bodies- Custom Hatters

Wondering if anybody had any comparisons of "lightweight" fur felts from any of the custom hatters? I know there is the VS Art Fawcett "Artlite" that I believe uses Beaver Lightweight hat bodies. I also seen some MC Gannon hats that take the standard dress weight hat body and are thinned by hand to a lightweight felt (not sure if these are available in rabbit and beaver felts or just beaver?)

I am looking for a lightweight hat for summer to compliment my PB Bros Straw Hemp as I know quickly my other few fur felts will see NO head time in the very near future as the heat and humidity rise or they will be drenched with sweat stains! Vintage lightweight is not an option (trying to keep cost down) but I was looking for a rabbit lightweight option if there is one; it would be nice to have 2 hats in the rotation for the hot humid summer in the south. thx
Last spring I had Mike at NW Hats make up a summer weight felt. He used the standard Winchester Beaver and pounced it to a lighter weight hat on the crown and left the brim standard. I am certain he would do one for you in Rabbit as well. Also, I considered getting the top of the crown ventilated but in the end opted not to. I guess the down side is he is about a 3-4 month wait that would you to September.

Last spring I had Mike at NW Hats make up a summer weight felt. He used the standard Winchester Beaver and pounced it to a lighter weight hat on the crown and left the brim standard. I am certain he would do one for you in Rabbit as well. Also, I considered getting the top of the crown ventilated but in the end opted not to. I guess the down side is he is about a 3-4 month wait that would you to September.
My current creation at Mike's is a Playboy clone, he is pouncing it light, and finishing the inside of the hat as well.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I acquired this Knox Tom n Jerry a short while ago. Cleaned it up and it looks pretty good except for the back of the bow. How do I fix this?

I'm not far from Peter Brothers but it just seems like this should be something I should be able to correct myself.

IMG_1080.jpg
IMG_1081.jpg

The back end just needs a couple of stitches in it. You'll have to fold down the sweatband (assuming it's in good shape), and work up under the liner to get to them, but you should be able to pick out where the old stitches were. Smooth it down first with some steam and drop a stitch in the top and one in the bottom of the bow and that should do it.

And fix that wind trolley. :D

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The back end just needs a couple of stitches in it. You'll have to fold down the sweatband (assuming it's in good shape), and work up under the liner to get to them, but you should be able to pick out where the old stitches were. Smooth it down first with some steam and drop a stitch in the top and one in the bottom of the bow and that should do it.

And fix that wind trolley. :D

How do I fix the wind trolley?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
So I acquired this Knox Tom n Jerry a short while ago. Cleaned it up and it looks pretty good except for the back of the bow. How do I fix this?

I'm not far from Peter Brothers but it just seems like this should be something I should be able to correct myself.

View attachment 74158 View attachment 74159
looks like a little steam and attention will remedy that to me ... the trolley needs a little TLC as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart