Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Keep looking, they are out there. What size are you?
I wear a 7, so not far out of the mainstream. Constantly looking for hats in the style of the featherweight I linked.
nice 50s era Champ Featherweight
the price is decent compared to what Tim usually asks ... probably a bit high considering the small size
the tear at the sweat seem would concern me
I thought the same. Also seems like the white lining was taken out, unless it was never there.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Any suggestions on who to send this to for repairs? The sweatband is almost separated and I want to find someone who can reattach it without damaging the sweat. Any recommendations/solicitations are much appreciated! TIA!

68cc93497fdeba2ffc9f5b3e3d80dea8.jpg

e7a99247b12b9c187aa290598310c3c4.jpg

Any suggestions on who to send this to for repairs? The sweatband is almost separated and I want to find someone who can reattach it without damaging the sweat. Any recommendations/solicitations are much appreciated! TIA!

68cc93497fdeba2ffc9f5b3e3d80dea8.jpg

e7a99247b12b9c187aa290598310c3c4.jpg

Clarification - It's a reeded sweatband that's disconnected from the hat and the sweat barrier behind it? I'd think you'd be able to just throw a few stitches in it to reattach it to the felt. However, it seems that it's more than that or you wouldn't be asking.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Clarification - It's a reeded sweatband that's disconnected from the hat and the sweat barrier behind it? I'd think you'd be able to just throw a few stitches in it to reattach it to the felt. However, it seems that it's more than that or you wouldn't be asking.

Reeded sweatband, but bad reed tape and sweatband coming loose/disconnected from hat. Got worse just taking the photo showing the damage. I’m a disaster with a needle so even simple fixes aren’t simple for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foghorn

New in Town
Hello all,
I have a new hat, Christy's Foldaway & it was recently soaked. I allowed it to dry naturally & it appears to have drawn up or shrunk - somewhat. I took it to a local shop they steamed & did some shaping but it is still a little (1/2 a size) snug & the area above the band (in the back) appears narrower as it flows toward the crown. I hope Im using the terminology correctly.
Anyway- my questions are 1) "is the hat permanently damaged?" & 2) "who can I send it to that will be able to restore/reshape it?"
Thanks in advance-
F

RJR

Hello all,
I have a new hat, Christy's Foldaway & it was recently soaked. I allowed it to dry naturally & it appears to have drawn up or shrunk - somewhat. I took it to a local shop they steamed & did some shaping but it is still a little (1/2 a size) snug & the area above the band (in the back) appears narrower as it flows toward the crown. I hope Im using the terminology correctly.
Anyway- my questions are 1) "is the hat permanently damaged?" & 2) "who can I send it to that will be able to restore/reshape it?"
Thanks in advance-
F
Hi Foghorn,welcome to the Lounge.
I have a couple of foldaways as well but have never subjected them to a good soaking.I suspect yours will require a reblocking to get it back in shape.You don't say where you are but any number of people here or a full service hat store should be able to help you.

Hello all,
Thanks in advance-
F

Welcome!

It's fairly common for felt hats to taper and become misshapen when they get wet. Some handle foul weather better than others. Reblocking isn't exactly cheap, but it's the only way to restore a hat when it's really out of shape. A good wood hat block is close to $200 but if you have a lot of hats it's a good investment. If you foresee using a block infrequently you should check out Hat Shapers plastic blocks for about the price having one hat reblocked.

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

I use the straight sided dome for reblocking when I don't use a wood block.

One last piece of advice: always let your felt hats dry naturally, even if it takes a few days. Never use any form of heat.

And one more piece of advice: umbrellas are better than hats when it's bucketing down rain. :)

Welcome!

It's fairly common for felt hats to taper and become misshapen when they get wet. Some handle foul weather better than others. Reblocking isn't exactly cheap, but it's the only way to restore a hat when it's really out of shape. A good wood hat block is close to $200 but if you have a lot of hats it's a good investment. If you foresee using a block infrequently you should check out Hat Shapers plastic blocks for about the price having one hat reblocked.

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

I use the straight sided dome for reblocking when I don't use a wood block.

One last piece of advice: always let your felt hats dry naturally, even if it takes a few days. Never use any form of heat.

And one more piece of advice: umbrellas are better than hats when it's bucketing down rain. :)

If you're patient and persistent, a good vintage wooden hat block won't set you back more than $100. At least for the popular block shapes. I have hear very good things about Hat Shapers. We have a thread on them around here somewhere.

As far as umbrellas, yes. But don't tell that to my Stetson 3X OR. I'd wear that in nuclear winter!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
Long time no post, but I need some advice on the old size-up or size-down question. I am looking to get a campaign hat (think Smokey Bear, not Rough Riders). Usually I wear a 7-1/4, but measurement-wise I'm between a 7-1/8 and 7-1/4. And I've recently figured out that I'm an extra long oval.

Stratton's felt campaign hats come in XLO and I recently went to a local uniform shop to try the Stratton size rings. The size rings confirmed the head shape, but left me utterly perplexed regarding the sizing. The first one I tried was the 7-1/4 XLO and it was like putting a hoola hoop over my head. Then I tried the 7-1/8 XLO and it fell down and rested on my ears. So I tried the 7 XLO and it sat ever so slightly higher on my head, but very close to where I'd want to wear the hat.

The shop didn't have any hats in the style I wanted in XLO to try on, but did have one in another style in a 7 XLO. And of course it was too small and sat on my head like a kids' hat. My theory is that the size rings actually match the blocks and don't account for the sweatband, which makes no sense at all from the perspective of trying to figure out what size you wear. Go figure.

Anyway, my head measurement is 22-3/8". Stratton says a 7-1/8 is 22-1/4" (or 1/8" smaller than my head) and a 7-1/4 is 22-5/8" (or 1/4" larger than my head). Normally I'd go up and put padding behind the sweatband and so far every hat I own has eventually shrunk to fit. But I have no idea what to expect from a stiff hat like a campaign hat.

So, do I go with the 7-1/8 and try to stretch it out the extra 1/8" or go with the 7-1/4 and pad it in the hope it might shrink a little?

All comments welcome and appreciated. Extra points for comments coupled with experience. :)

Last edited:

OldStrummer

Practically Family
It's a rainy weekend here on the US East Coast. And I've found myself in a bit of a (self-made) conundrum. To wear a hat or not?

One of the reasons I decided to wear hats (as opposed to caps) was to keep the wind and rain off my head. But now I have hats that I really like and I'm afraid the rain (not a light rain, but a steady pour) will ruin the wool/fur. So, my solution has been -- so far -- to carry an umbrella when possible.

Anyone else suffer this same dilemma?

It's a rainy weekend here on the US East Coast. And I've found myself in a bit of a (self-made) conundrum. To wear a hat or not?

One of the reasons I decided to wear hats (as opposed to caps) was to keep the wind and rain off my head. But now I have hats that I really like and I'm afraid the rain (not a light rain, but a steady pour) will ruin the wool/fur. So, my solution has been -- so far -- to carry an umbrella when possible.

For good fur felt hats, I have the attitude that they are resilient and tough, for the most part. Certainly, in a heavy downpour, an umbrella is advisable. But I tend to only "baby" my vintages that are more rare and more irreplaceable. I've yet to find a decent fur felt hat that can't take some rain. I am not of the opinion that fur felt hats are delicate creatures that need extra special protection. Let them serve their purpose.

I own three Stratton campaign hats; one straw and two felt. They all three fit differently

When light rain is predicted I reach for an Akubra. My other hats may also be able shrug off the weather, but my Akubras have proven themselves. If I get caught in a light shower wearing a nicer hats I worry a bit, but I've yet to damage one of them this way. If it's really coming down and I need to be "dressy" than an umbrella gets the nod. If I'm not working, I'll sometimes reach for a Gore-Tex hat; Outdoor Research (OR) makes some wonderful hats for this niche. This is where style yields to practicality.

I would never intentionally subject a felt hat to a soaking; although, I have confidence that an Akubra could come out the other side in fine shape.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Long time no post, but I need some advice on the old size-up or size-down question. I am looking to get a campaign hat (think Smokey Bear, not Rough Riders). Usually I wear a 7-1/4, but measurement-wise I'm between a 7-1/8 and 7-1/4. And I've recently figured out that I'm an extra long oval.

Stratton's felt campaign hats come in XLO and I recently went to a local uniform shop to try the Stratton size rings. The size rings confirmed the head shape, but left me utterly perplexed regarding the sizing. The first one I tried was the 7-1/4 XLO and it was like putting a hoola hoop over my head. Then I tried the 7-1/8 XLO and it fell down and rested on my ears. So I tried the 7 XLO and it sat ever so slightly higher on my head, but very close to where I'd want to wear the hat.

The shop didn't have any hats in the style I wanted in XLO to try on, but did have one in another style in a 7 XLO. And of course it was too small and sat on my head like a kids' hat. My theory is that the size rings actually match the blocks and don't account for the sweatband, which makes no sense at all from the perspective of trying to figure out what size you wear. Go figure.

Anyway, my head measurement is 22-3/8". Stratton says a 7-1/8 is 22-1/4" (or 1/8" smaller than my head) and a 7-1/4 is 22-5/8" (or 1/4" larger than my head). Normally I'd go up and put padding behind the sweatband and so far every hat I own has eventually shrunk to fit. But I have no idea what to expect from a stiff hat like a campaign hat.

So, do I go with the 7-1/8 and try to stretch it out the extra 1/8" or go with the 7-1/4 and pad it in the hope it might shrink a little?

All comments welcome and appreciated. Extra points for comments coupled with experience. :)
Greetings All:
SD, your post has raised several issues and questions. I assume you are asking about felt campaigns and not straw.
First: i suggest DO NOT buy a 71/8 and try to stretch it to fit!! A felt campaign brim is rigid and i fear would lose it’s integrity without question.
As far as Stratton’s sizing goes from your description i think that might be a Stratton thing. The measurments for size sound unusual. LO, XLO, XXLO, idk?
As far as future shrinking i would concern myself with the sweatband shrinkage and not so much the felt body.
I base these opinions on the following. I have 3 vintage felt Campaigns and 2 straw. Two felts are Stetson nutrias, 71/4, true to size, no shrinkage. One is a USMC DI and one a State Trooper. They have been well cared for, used professionally and stood the test of time. One felt is a cheap wool pos, beaten by me for decades fishing, no sweatband and shrank to my head size. The straws are game warden sheriff summer types.
In general i would suggest you buy the size that fits, size up if in between sizes, treat the sweatband well, don’t worry about shrinkage and enjoy wearing the hell out of it for decades.
Hope this helps. Post pics. It would be interesting to see how you fair.
Be well. Bowen

Last edited:
...I tend to only "baby" my vintages that are more rare and more irreplaceable. I've yet to find a decent fur felt hat that can't take some rain. I am not of the opinion that fur felt hats are delicate creatures that need extra special protection. Let them serve their purpose.
I agree 100%. If you know you're going to experience weather conditions that might somehow damage a vintage or otherwise hard to replace hat, wear a different hat or bring an umbrella. But rain is ultimately only water and as long as you treat your hat properly if/when it gets wet, i.e. set it aside and let it dry at room temperature, even a half-way decent fur felt hat should be just fine. Regarding wool felt hats, I've only owned really cheap ones that all shrunk in a relatively short period of time no matter what I did, so based on my experience I wouldn't recommend them. That being said...

...When light rain is predicted I reach for an Akubra. My other hats may also be able shrug off the weather, but my Akubras have proven themselves. If I get caught in a light shower wearing a nicer hats I worry a bit, but I've yet to damage one of them this way. [snip] I would never intentionally subject a felt hat to a soaking; although, I have confidence that an Akubra could come out the other side in fine shape.
I also agree with this 100%. I currently have six Akubra hats, have worn all of them in light to medium rain storms at one time or another, and they all survived just fine; if anything, the rain made them a little softer. But I have worn two of them in drenching downpours that soaked the felt thoroughly--Akubra has a reputation for durability, so I thought I'd put it to the test--and they also survived with no apparent ill effects. I have zero experience with modern production hats made by other manufacturers like Stetson so I don't know whether or not they would survive such a test (I suspect they would), but my Akubras have proven themselves to me. Here on The Lounge Akubra has it's devotees and detractors, but I think everyone who wears hats regularly should own at least one if for no other reason than to wear it as a dedicated "rain hat". And if it somehow gets damaged, unlike most vintage hats it can easily be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy