Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Sounds like a worth pastime to me. ;)

Boardwalk Empire was a historically well researched show.

Six years ago, The Brooklyn Museum of Art curated a wonderful exhibition entitled "Youth and Beauty: Art of the American Twenties" which I saw at the Dallas Museum of Art.

Here is a fashon discussion with the Costume Designer of BWE held in conjunction with the Exhibit. I think you'll find it fascinating. Enjoy ;)

Thanks Jerry, that is awesome stuff right there. I need to visit the Dallas Museum of Art.

Anybody know a good / easy way to remove hot glue from felt? I have a Peters Brothers that had the liner hot glued in place.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/peters-brothers.17184/page-30
Heat from a blow dryer will loosen the glue so you can remove the liner. I've even used a scalpel or razor blade to cut glue spots between the liner & the felt, like skinning the hide off an animal. Then keep the glue soft with heat & gently pick it out of the felt using tweezers & a dental pick, scalpel, etc.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Do you ever look at your username for the website after a while and think, "Why on earth did I choose this?" Because after being absent from the forums for a spell, I'd love to change that to something much better that I use on my other social media accounts, but oh well. Unless there is a way that I'm missing...

Also, what is your general rule of thumb on when to take a hat to get it serviced? Reblocking, cleaning, flanging, etc. Does it have to look like a tramp owned it or is it after a certain amount of time like with a car needing to get oil changed?

psklenar

One of the Regulars
Can anyone make a good guess at the name on this card I found behind the band of my new, to me, hat? My google-fu has failed me over several days of trying to decipher it. :(

pat----

Attachments

• IMG_20180709_185548.jpg
    IMG_20180709_185548.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 92

psklenar

One of the Regulars
I think it says "E. Register." City directories are a good source, too.

I'm not sure what that 2nd vowel is, but *I* thought the last one was an "i". Either way, I'm going to try and find census records and old city directories over the weekend. I obviously don't know for sure, but I'm *guessing* that might be the original owner of the hat. So I was curious. :)

pat----

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I designed a big safe to store my most expensive hats while I am on vacation, and it was delivered today.
I remember there was a thread that dealt with hat storage, but I can't find it. I want to post pics there.
Can anyone recall the name of the thread?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

John the Swede

Familiar Face
Recieved the Stetson Sightseer in sage
P_20180713_200606.jpg
P_20180713_200618.jpg
today, pics attached. Seems soft enough to play around with the bash. My only question is the interior (as shown in my second photo)--are those hairs "normal"? I usually get satin lined, so I don't see under there, I guess. (Thought unlined might be good for warmer weather.)

Recieved the Stetson Sightseer in sage View attachment 126869 View attachment 126870 today, pics attached. Seems soft enough to play around with the bash. My only question is the interior (as shown in my second photo)--are those hairs "normal"? I usually get satin lined, so I don't see under there, I guess. (Thought unlined might be good for warmer weather.)

I’ve seen those for sale on eBay. The interior was not pounced so it’s not unusual to see them rough like that. Did it come with a liner?

Curious, what side of the hat is the bow on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Which is best to maintain the shape of a hat, keeping it upside down in a hat box, or on a shelf with the front of the brim hanging?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

No liner, which was one reason I liked it. Wonder why they didn't pounce it?

Bow is on the left--it's really a stratoliner bow, looks like anyway.

It’s common for hats intended to to have liners to not be pounced on the inside.

The ribbon looks wider than what’s on the Stratoliners and the bow keeper is definitely different. It’s a good look and it reminds me of some campaign ribbons I’ve seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails