Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
I recently had a panama hat cleaned and reshaped. The hat came back sprayed with some sort of paint (I'm sure it's not typical spraypaint). The color was more of a mustard/yellow rather than the natural panama fiber color and the thing ended up weighing a bit more more. It looked okay from a distance but close up to the weave of the hat you could see that some of the paint was applied thicker so that the weave was filled in and some looked okay. Now, the paint has been nicked and is peeling a little bit. You can actually see the original color underneath. I sent it to this place because of a recommendation from here so I don't want to name the store, but it looks worse now than it did when I sent it away.

My question is, is "spray painting" hats like this common for panama refurbishing?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently had a panama hat cleaned and reshaped. The hat came back sprayed with some sort of paint (I'm sure it's not typical spraypaint). The color was more of a mustard/yellow rather than the natural panama fiber color and the thing ended up weighing a bit more more. It looked okay from a distance but close up to the weave of the hat you could see that some of the paint was applied thicker so that the weave was filled in and some looked okay. Now, the paint has been nicked and is peeling a little bit. You can actually see the original color underneath. I sent it to this place because of a recommendation from here so I don't want to name the store, but it looks worse now than it did when I sent it away.

My question is, is "spray painting" hats like this common for panama refurbishing?
I see it in modern hats sometimes, but never in a hat I've picked up at the source in Ecuador. The spray might help protect the straw from water damage, but it's certainly not something I would like on my toquilla straw.

My guess is your hat service sprayed a laquer on your hat for protection and waterproofing. As Doug, says, you see that on modern factory hats, mainly shantung and the other paper "straws." My next guess is your panama didn't need this, but the service person didn't know any better.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

May I ask WHERE you had the hat serviced?

Many years ago a friend had his car painted at Earl Scheib. A friend of his worked there, and told him the real problem was that they were allowed only 30 minutes on each car to do all of the prep work and usually focused on making sure the windows and chrome bumpers (yep, it was that long ago) were masked off; if they had any time left over they could mask whatever was left. So my friend removed all of the badging and what not himself, drove his car to the facility, then masked the windows himself; this left 30 minutes for his friend to look everything over and mask or remove anything my friend might have missed, and maybe do a little sanding. In the end he got a decent paint job (terrible color choice notwithstanding) for what they charged, but he did more of the work than they did.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the vendors mentioned his fall colour felts are coming in soon. Between these two of mine, which one looks more fall and what one looks more spring?
b530e94d3a4a6a173168e30ffa32a738.jpg

Does anyone have seasonal hats based on colour?
Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the vendors mentioned his fall colour felts are coming in soon. Between these two of mine, which one looks more fall and what one looks more spring?
b530e94d3a4a6a173168e30ffa32a738.jpg

Does anyone have seasonal hats based on colour?
Johnny
In my mind lighter colored hats are more spring/summer, and darker hats are more autumn/winter. I have no idea why. That being said, I'd wear either of those hats whenever I felt like it. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy