Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DanK76

New in Town
Sorry if this has been posted before. I have a brown wool Walrus Compass fedora. How do you get the front brim to stay down. I like to have my brims down, but everytime I take it off the brim seems to go back straight so the next time I wear it I have to pull it down again. Is there some trick to getting it to stay down? Thanks in advance.

USPS Priority. Sometimes in their box sometimes in a different box.
Usually, USPS priority is the only way to go. Parcel Post has been priced so high there is little difference, so priority is the best bet. Unless they screw you and take a full week to get a 3 day priority from Oregon to Texas!:(
I send international packages to the Netherlands on a regular basis to Stefan, this is a whole different ball game. Box size is crucial for lower prices with International USPS.
I find that the Priority large box size works well for most hats, a little brim confining, but OK.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Usually, USPS priority is the only way to go. Parcel Post has been priced so high there is little difference, so priority is the best bet. Unless they screw you and take a full week to get a 3 day priority from Oregon to Texas!:(
I send international packages to the Netherlands on a regular basis to Stefan, this is a whole different ball game. Box size is crucial for lower prices with International USPS.
I find that the Priority large box size works well for most hats, a little brim confining, but OK.

I've noticed lately that some sellers, particularly on Ebay, are charging $35-55 to ship larger "cowboy" size hats via USPS, claiming it is the size of the box that runs the price up. Not too long ago I received a fedora from Michael Gannon that ran, I think, about $15 to ship from the West Coast to Virginia via USPS. At first I thought these high quotes were the typical Ebay shipping gouge, but several sellers I have asked have told me the same thing now. I guess it's my bad luck, as I won't spend more on shipping than I do on the hat. Can anyone confirm that size is the determining factor in shipping cost now, instead of weight as it used to be?

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've noticed lately that some sellers, particularly on Ebay, are charging $35-55 to ship larger "cowboy" size hats via USPS, claiming it is the size of the box that runs the price up. Not too long ago I received a fedora from Michael Gannon that ran, I think, about $15 to ship from the West Coast to Virginia via USPS. At first I thought these high quotes were the typical Ebay shipping gouge, but several sellers I have asked have told me the same thing now. I guess it's my bad luck, as I won't spend more on shipping than I do on the hat. Can anyone confirm that size is the determining factor in shipping cost now, instead of weight as it used to be?
Yep. Size matters!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I encountered this when shipping back my stupid Worth and Worth hat...both ups and USPS wanted north of $60 for shipping. Larger boxes aren't "machinable" according to USPS, so the cost is higher.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I would like to know the proper method for selling on this forum in the classifieds.
I've decided to sell the Black Bolero and the Gray 1950s Bolero and get a custom hat made tailored to my head shape.

Sadly, There is no other choice...I can't take the pain in my forehead anymore.
:(

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would like to know the proper method for selling on this forum in the classifieds.
I've decided to sell the Black Bolero and the Gray 1950s Bolero and get a custom hat made tailored to my head shape.

Sadly, There is no other choice...I can't take the pain in my forehead anymore.
:(
Go to the classified's. The first thread will tell you all you need to know.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/classifieds.15/

A lot of those seller with high shipping use the eBay shipping calculator with is always very high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woodtroll

One Too Many
A lot of those seller with high shipping use the eBay shipping calculator with is always very high.

Yes, that's their story, but when I question the price they always say, "That's what Ebay says it costs" and seldom budge. One seller offered to drop the $50 quoted price to $40 shipped by Fedex. My answer was still, "No thanks". He then said he would offer free shipping (but then raised the asking price $40! :rolleyes: ) I find it hard to believe it costs 3x more to ship a western-hat-sized box than it does a fedora-sized box, even if it is almost from coast to coast.

Yes, that's their story, but when I question the price they always say, "That's what Ebay says it costs" and seldom budge. One seller offered to drop the $50 quoted price to $40 shipped by Fedex. My answer was still, "No thanks". He then said he would offer free shipping (but then raised the asking price $40! :rolleyes: ) I find it hard to believe it costs 3x more to ship a western-hat-sized box than it does a fedora-sized box, even if it is almost from coast to coast.
A hat in a box weighs a tad over a pound. Most can be shipped cross country for less than $12 in a large priority box. I charge flat rate $12 to ship a hat I sell on eBay. A bit more for a larger hat and box. I try to avoid shipping boxed hat boxes because that drives my shipping price up and makes bidding on the hat less desirable. I've gone ground a few times to cut costs, but normally, the $12 works out for me and the buyer.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

A hat in a box weighs a tad over a pound. Most can be shipped cross country for less than $12 in a large priority box. I charge flat rate $12 to ship a hat I sell on eBay. A bit more for a larger hat and box. I try to avoid shipping boxed hat boxes because that drives my shipping price up and makes bidding on the hat less desirable. I've gone ground a few times to cut costs, but normally, the $12 works out for me and the buyer.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Same here, Jim. I've gone round and round with west coast sellers over shipping charges yet I've shipped to buyers out west for around what you describe shipping priority.

Hatbox shipping is another thing altogether. Size does matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just shipped a fedora in a legit NW Hat box from WA state down to Florida for $12 (2-4 day delivery). I could have saved a few bucks by putting in a plain cardboard box a bit smaller but I got filled with the Christmas spirit and splurged for the buyer.

Chasblount

New in Town
I bought a nearly new David Morgan Adventure second hand that came with the “Indy bash.” I liked the hat fine and it seemed well made. The felt was pretty stiff; it was going hold that bash for years. Unfortunately it was just too big for me and I reluctantly sold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner