Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A hat in a box weighs a tad over a pound. Most can be shipped cross country for less than $12 in a large priority box. I charge flat rate $12 to ship a hat I sell on eBay. A bit more for a larger hat and box. I try to avoid shipping boxed hat boxes because that drives my shipping price up and makes bidding on the hat less desirable. I've gone ground a few times to cut costs, but normally, the $12 works out for me and the buyer.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
My cost is usually closer to $20 and more times than not a bit more with insurance. I always do insurance.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Most custom hats should be better than an off the rack Christy's or Fed IV. Other than that, other variables come into play (beaver/rabbit, etc)

Penman is high quality, but if money were no object, I'd cough up the extra dough for the Portuguese beaver felt. I believe HJ is also using FEPSA felt, but I'm not 100% sure.

RJR

Would you say that they’re also superior to the others quality wise?
Keep in mind that the "screen accurate"dimensions were for a specific size hat and must be "adjusted" to appear the same as size changes.
Purely my opinion(and I haven't handled all):
I think that Penman,AB and Garrison are right at the top in terms of build and material quality.The next tier would include S&J,Peters Brothers,Screencapped and FED IV/DM Adventurer.
Others that I have handled fall slightly further down the list.
I should sat that in all honesty the two Akubra are darned hard to beat at the price. Hat-Akubra-FED IV-Dk Brn 2.jpg

Keep in mind that the "screen accurate"dimensions were for a specific size hat and must be "adjusted" to appear the same as size changes.
Purely my opinion(and I haven't handled all):
I think that Penman,AB and Garrison are right at the top in terms of build and material quality.The next tier would include S&J,Peters Brothers,Screencapped and FED IV/DM Adventurer.
Others that I have handled fall slightly further down the list.
I should sat that in all honesty the two Akubra are darned hard to beat at the price. View attachment 150218
I’m not sure if you have experience with Penman’s Everyman hat, but would you say that that or a Rabbit Garrison would be better?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I know that, but I’m putting myself on a budget and I’d like to get a pretty accurate Raiders, which you probably know was rabbit.

...ok, I was merely trying to answer which was better "quality wise" which is what you asked.

I am not a hatter, so this is just the opinion of someone who has looked at a lot of Indy hats online. But I'm not of the opinion that you need a rabbit felt to have a "screen accurate" hat. I think both the thickness and the density of the felt are more important characteristics to achieving the Raiders look. I acknowledge that this may vary from some folks' perceptions of what "screen accurate" means.

But sure, if you want as close to an exact replica as you can get for your budget, a rabbit felt would be more "accurate." If you want just a hat that looks like the one you see on screen, again, I don't think the felt composition is THE determining factor.

...ok, I was merely trying to answer which was better "quality wise" which is what you asked.

I am not a hatter, so this is just the opinion of someone who has looked at a lot of Indy hats online. But I'm not of the opinion that you need a rabbit felt to have a "screen accurate" hat. I think both the thickness and the density of the felt are more important characteristics to achieving the Raiders look. I acknowledge that this may vary from some folks' perceptions of what "screen accurate" means.

But sure, if you want as close to an exact replica as you can get for your budget, a rabbit felt would be more "accurate." If you want just a hat that looks like the one you see on screen, again, I don't think the felt composition is THE determining factor.
Yeah, I’m aware of that, but I was comparing a rabbit hat and an 80% rabbit/20% beaver, I’m just wondering which one is overall better.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I’m aware of that, but I was comparing a rabbit hat and an 80% rabbit/20% beaver, I’m just wondering which one is overall better.

Well, it's not "overall" better if one of your determining factors for "accuracy" is going to be felt composition. If we're asking which is higher quality felt, all other things being equal, the beaver blend. I don't know for sure what kinds of innards are in the Everyman or in the Garrison, but I'd imagine they're comparable. I've only seen one or two pictures of those sweatbands and it's hard to tell what quality of leather is being used. The folks on COW believe that this is essentially the same hat that was offered as the Adventurebilt Henry with a different sweatband.

Well, it's not "overall" better if one of your determining factors for "accuracy" is going to be felt composition. If we're asking which is higher quality felt, all other things being equal, the beaver blend. I don't know for sure what kinds of innards are in the Everyman or in the Garrison, but I'd imagine they're comparable. I've only seen one or two pictures of those sweatbands and it's hard to tell what quality of leather is being used. The folks on COW believe that this is essentially the same hat that was offered as the Adventurebilt Henry with a different sweatband.
I wouldn’t really doubt that since Steve gave John a lot of his stuff, I don’t think it’d be a stretch to think that he also gave him the Henry’s.

Reactions: RJR

Bcraig

Familiar Face
I am new here,I asked a question about a Fedora on another site and a guy there suggested I visit this site .
I am interested in getting a Fedora .
I am 58 years old ,6 foot tall and about 225 pounds.
Here are few pics of me without a hat and with a cheap hat/
The hat has about 4 inch high crown and about a 2 3/4 inch brim.
IMG_0762[1].JPG
IMG_0768[1].JPG
IMG_0763[1].JPG
IMG_0763[1].JPG
IMG_0768[1].JPG

From looking at these pics it APPEARS that the hat if it was a 4 1/2 to 5 inch high
With say a 3 inch brim
Fuller sides with less taper
And less of a pinched crown and keeping a lighter color for my lighter skin color

Would that look better on my face?

I do not wear dress pants or shirts except for Weddings and Funerals and Fortunately enough neither happen too often.
I am retired so I only .wear either blue jeans or Khakis or khakis colored cargo pants .

For every day wear out of the elements as when it is cold I am only cold when walking from my pickup to the store and the same goes for raining.|

I am interested in either a new/used stiff wool felt hat or a Vintage fur felt.

I am not interested in any China made crap as I watched videos of torture involved in the harvest of fur.

Now I am a Hunter and fisherman and have few issues with eating meat or wearing animal parts but pulling fur off alive and skinning animals alive is totally uncalled for .

Given the information I have given here which Hat or hats,name, brand,year of manufacture, do I need to be on the lookout for ?

Thanks
Craig

Attachments

• IMG_0766[1].JPG
    IMG_0766[1].JPG
    300 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

Bcraig

Familiar Face
This is my 2nd post and on my first post the pics I posted are on their sides and not like they should be.
How do I edit the pics in my post so that they are of correct orientation?

Thanks

First, welcome to the Lounge, bcraig. Second, formalities - poke around here a bit and get a feel for the site. The thread, "Ask a question, get an answer" is the place to ask general questions such as yours. No harm, no foul, but this keeps the site from getting cluttered with random short threads and also serves as one stop shopping for folks to see your queries.

Now, the important stuff - your questions. There are several guides on face shapes, etc to determine what suits you best; however, the best arbiter is your personal taste. Cruise through some of the threads, particularly "What Hat are you Wearing Today" to get a feel for what is out there and how a hat will look on different face shales, body types. Then ask yourself what look you're after. Most of us tend toward taller crowns, and wider brims, which you seem to be leaning toward. I think the hat you are wearing looks fine, but it's best if you can find a hatter where you can try on different styles and see the results in a mirror. If not that, then it's hit or miss until you're comfortable with the right hat for you. Let us know your location, and perhaps we can guide you to a proper hat shop.

Again, welcome to the Lounge. Keep looking and asking questions and we'll try to help where we can.

Does anybody know the difference between a Royal Stetson DeLuxe and a Royal DeLuxe Stetson? I am assuming they were both effectively the same and it's just a word order thing.

View attachment 150279 View attachment 150280 View attachment 150281 View attachment 150282
I know we've had this discussion before, and you're right. There might be a difference in when they were made, but the quality level is basically the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo