Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I’m all for it. I’m getting the midnight blue, what color are you after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am thinking the Verde. Are the other colours the Choc Brown and ??? in the 100% nutria? Ship to you or direct to Rick let me know the total and I will send you a PayPal friends and family. If Rick starts to freak out let him know I am no rush at all.....end of the year...Christmas present is okay with me.

I am thinking the Verde. Are the other colours the Choc Brown and ??? in the 100% nutria? Ship to you or direct to Rick let me know the total and I will send you a PayPal friends and family. If Rick starts to freak out let him know I am no rush at all.....end of the year...Christmas present is okay with me.

In the 100X all I see are the three colors: Midnight Brown, Midnight Blue, and Verde. Let me know when you’re ready to commit.

Have you had any contact with the seller? I'm curious to know how he thinks these felts compare to the wild hare felts in Australia.

I’ve been messaging the seller. I don’t know how to have him evaluate such a subjective comparison. I’ve asked if they are firm felts or softer dress weight but I’ve not heard back yet. They are 100% nutria fur felt.

When you asked about the stiffness and the dimensions this was his reply:

f57aa949e5668edf7f45207ae1217b84.jpg

“Stuff” should be “stiff.”

2” of brim is not acceptable. Not sure where to go from here.

When you asked about the stiffness and the dimensions this was his reply:

f57aa949e5668edf7f45207ae1217b84.jpg

“Stuff” should be “stiff.”

2” of brim is not acceptable. Not sure where to go from here.
That is a weird answer...the difference between 2 and 3" is significant. and if they are closer to a western weight a 2" brim certainly would not be acceptable on a western or an outback style. I am a size 60 so not far behind.

That was a quick yo-yo on the Nutria. Who would have thought that a western weight hat would only have enough felt for a 2” brim! The seller is still looking for a larger body for me, but I’m not holding my breath.

tsores

Familiar Face
I read that some folks iron the brim of a hat. If so,...
  1. What is the purpose?
  2. How exactly is this done?
  3. What is the result?
  4. Does this work if the brim edge has a ribbon?

I read that some folks iron the brim of a hat. If so,...
  1. What is the purpose?
  2. How exactly is this done?
  3. What is the result?
  4. Does this work if the brim edge has a ribbon?
I will do it if for some reason the brim has become misshapen or warped in some way. A steam iron, a cotton press cloth dampened (this is crucial or you risk burning or flattening the nap of the felt) and I also use a spray bottle of distilled water for extra moisture. The result is a flat brim if I iron on a flat surface or as I have a flange I can rework the curve of the brim. Yes, it works fine on a ribbon edge just continue to use the press cloth.

I keep hearing people specifying distilled water when shaping their hats (when not using steam). Since per the old "cowboy" method any fresh water stream would do, how crucial is it that the water be distilled?
I agree with Tukwila's comments above about "spots" or any other form of discoloration of a hat's felt caused by various contaminants in tap water. I use distilled water because the city we live in puts who knows what kinds of chemicals in the tap water and I don't want to risk it discoloring my hats. I don't use it for steam though; I just spray it on my hats, let it soak in, and start creasing. So far that's worked out pretty well for me.

ItsKarl

New in Town
I use filtered water. The danger with tap water, well water or stream/lake/river water is getting spots on your felt from mineral deposits, etc, that are carried by the steam.
Yeah, I suspected it was because of tap water - especially, as Al points out, in places where they add chemicals to the water for purification. And some places tap water can be calcium heavy. I assume that bottled water (sans gas) ought to be alright?

I use filtered water. The danger with tap water, well water or stream/lake/river water is getting spots on your felt from mineral deposits, etc, that are carried by the steam.
Depending on how you make steam boiled water is essentially distilled. Hot water & steam from a boiler is safe but water heated up by an electric block like used in many appliances (think coffeemakers) is not distilled or purified.

But on the other hand, Roy has no time for distilled water, just turn the shower on!
. I've wondered about that too & wondered if maybe Roy had a whole house water purifier system? Maybe something as simple as a water softener?

ItsKarl

New in Town
. I've wondered about that too & wondered if maybe Roy had a whole house water purifier system? Maybe something as simple as a water softener?
Different places have better water than others. I live in Norway, and our tap water is very pure. You can certainly drink it from the tap with no concerns at all, and I'm pretty sure the calcium levels are within reasonable levels as well (I know Germany, at least, tends to have a much higher calcium content). But with the US being so vast, there must be some places with similar conditions as well?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I suspected it was because of tap water - especially, as Al points out, in places where they add chemicals to the water for purification. And some places tap water can be calcium heavy. I assume that bottled water (sans gas) ought to be alright?
I use one of those pitchers that filter water. They aren't known for getting 99.999% of all things bad out of the water but it removes chlorine and particlates, and I've never had a problem using that on my hats (including the "white" hats in silverbelly, silvermist, etc).

If you look on the bottle of water it usually states what kind of filtering system, if any, they use to make sure the water is safe to drink, e.g., reverse osmosis. That's a huge improvement over the basic filter pitcher I use so I imagine it would be just fine. EXCEPT, KEEP in mind, some drinking water has stuff added to it so it tastes better! I think Dasani is one of the brands that does add minerals to their final product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy