Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
...My friend back east would joke the water was so hard in his town that it left him bruised after each shower.
That's the kind of water we have here. It can leave mineral deposits on all of the faucets, sinks, and so on, which is why I don't trust using it on my hats. I had heard about "hard" water and "soft" water growing up, but had never experienced soft water so I had no frame of reference for comparison. When I finally encountered it the penny dropped, and I immediately thought, "Oh, that's what they were talking about."

Kane

One of the Regulars
Zombie, are you using L.A. County water? That’s the source of our water district’s water, and it is crazy hard. I never knew what that meant until I lived here. If I don’t run vinegar through my coffee maker every couple of weeks it starts clogging up. I would not use the county water on a hat, nor do I use it to flush out fountain pens. I’ve been wondering what the heck it’s doing to me and starting using more Balsamic vinegar in my salad dressing! Maybe those minerals are good for us, I don’t know. I have had to replace some hose bibs where an old hose has been left on too long and became fused to the bib from calcification.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
True battery water is distilled water. I buy it at a drugstore ($1.25 per gallon and always have a gallon or two around as I use it in my humidor. The worst water I ever encountered was in Utah, ground water in a national park. It was fine to drink, taste was fine perhaps a bit minerally but left a deposit in that resembled cement residue. I used disposable containers as the residue left a film that was very hard to remove.

My friend back east would joke the water was so hard in his town that it left him bruised after each shower.

I keep a small metal mixing bowl with (tap) water in it on my radiator to moisten up the very dry air in my place, especially during winter. After a few evap-to-dry cycles, the bottom of the bowl has that cement-looking whitish stuff at the bottom. I don't drink tap water here.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hello, I have a newbie hat bashing question:

I am the proud owner of a new Akubra Campdraft Deluxe open crown hat. This is the first open crown hat I have gotten. The felt on the brim is fairly stiff, but the crown is plyable and easy to mold for what I believe is referred to as a dry bash (no steam or water used). I am still trying out different styles of bashes, but this is all without using steam or water, and it’s fairly easy to put the hat back to the open crown and then try a new bash.
My question is, if I give the hat a dry bash and the hat holds the shape, is it okay to leave it as a dry bash, or should I then apply steam or water to the bash to make it better or more permanent? What would be the benefit, if any, to using steam or water over a dry bash if the hat will take a dry bash?

Btw, the hat is very nice and Trudi at the Hattery / Hatsdirect was very nice and helpful in ordering the hat.

Thank you!

Over time I have discovered that creasing hats with water or steam (preferred) is easier and better for the hat.

Just moving the felt under your hands will make this obvious. The crease will also stay put better when moisture is used to form it. Think about working with clay, which responds to shaping better when it is moist. True that felt is not clay, but it's an analogy that works for me.

These days (and for a long time) I would never manipulate a hat dry.

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Has anyone ever taken the wide ribbon off of a federation and replaced it with a thin one or maybe a like a thin leather braid. I got a fed III that’s more of a beater and outdoor rain hat and wondering what it would look like with a more country look.

Has anyone ever taken the wide ribbon off of a federation and replaced it with a thin one or maybe a like a thin leather braid. I got a fed III that’s more of a beater and outdoor rain hat and wondering what it would look like with a more country look.

Yes, it has been done loads of times. Get crazy... do it!!

Best case, you'll love the change.
Worse case, you'll not be so happy, then you'll find another one that you DO like.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
this is a forum question not a hat question I did not find anyplace to ask general forum questions.
I having trouble today uploading picture file. I reduce to under 400 KB and still got error message file to large.
Yesterday I was able to upload a 3.5 MB file which was REDUCED from original size?
Can someone explain the requirements to upload files from a computer?

Kane

One of the Regulars
That’s good news. While we’re on the subject of how the forum works, I can’t seem to find any button or link for sending messages, PM’s, etc.
The only thing I get when I click on the envelope icon is something called, “Start a New Conversation”. Is “Start a New Conversation” the forum’s messaging system? I tried to find the answer to my question in the FAQ post, but all I see there is the statement that, “FAQ will be forthcoming”. I have searched the forum and double checked my preferences, but I have the feeling that I am missing something.
Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated!
Thank you

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
That’s good news. While we’re on the subject of how the forum works, I can’t seem to find any button or link for sending messages, PM’s, etc.
The only thing I get when I click on the envelope icon is something called, “Start a New Conversation”. Is “Start a New Conversation” the forum’s messaging system? I tried to find the answer to my question in the FAQ post, but all I see there is the statement that, “FAQ will be forthcoming”. I have searched the forum and double checked my preferences, but I have the feeling that I am missing something.
Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Yes, "conversation" is TFL version/name for PM.

Kane

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much, guys. I have never heard of Conversation and it seemed weird that there was nothing for PM as that is pretty universal on forums. I see that the Conversation version will function the same and is also useful for group messaging.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond and clear that up for me.

*This “Ask a Question, Get an Answer” thread is pretty handy!

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Anyone know of good hatteries in the Kalamazoo or surrounding areas in MI? Goin' on a trip in a month or so ans would like to do some shopping.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Dear Loungers,

I recently acquired a Bon Ton Ivy fitted speckled boater and I must say it is the most comfortable sweatband I have ever worn on my head!

I have another boater which needs a sweatband replacement. Does anyone know where I can get a Bon Ton Ivy style elastic adjustable sweatband?

I mean surely if was made in the past, it should still be possible?

Dm101

A-List Customer
Dear Loungers,

I recently acquired a Bon Ton Ivy fitted speckled boater and I must say it is the most comfortable sweatband I have ever worn on my head!

I have another boater which needs a sweatband replacement. Does anyone know where I can get a Bon Ton Ivy style elastic adjustable sweatband?

I mean surely if was made in the past, it should still be possible?

So far, there's only been one Betty White...much to my hearts discontent.
Hopefully your search fares better, Wishing you the best of luck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy