Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJR

Just saw a newsflash about all the flooding & levee breaks in eastern Nebraska & across Iowa. Didn't mention the Twin City's in MN. I hope Cornshucker77, RJR, SBG & any other Lounge members I'm forgetting are all save & dry. Check in when you can!
We're n good shape here except for the usual flood prone areas.Major ice jams are happening;one locally knocked a bicycle trail trestle over yesterday.An ice jam is close to closing I-80 just west of Des Moines.
The warm weather reduced our 2-3 foot snow cover to nearly gone in 2 days.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just saw a newsflash about all the flooding & levee breaks in eastern Nebraska & across Iowa. Didn't mention the Twin City's in MN. I hope Cornshucker77, RJR, SBG & any other Lounge members I'm forgetting are all save & dry. Check in when you can!

Sioux Falls is also severe. I’m fortunate so far with my family being safe and dry and no water in the duplex yet —- and knocking on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Q: do you guys have any DIY tricks for getting rid of subtle lumps or striations in felt without a block?

I’d like to think I’m pretty adept at recreasing fedoras and westerns and reshaping brims, but derbies and other open crowns are above my pay grade and always show the imperfections.

For example, my new derby arrived dented from shipping. I was able to basically steam out the dent, but the hat still has some subtle lumps and a visible striation on the bow side, and for a brand new custom, I am hoping to get the crown pristinely smooth:

As arrived:

779def8db3ba68845e025baa53c49691.jpg

c8f847277e954fa2392606d938615045.jpg

After some freehand steam:

09942603f21bd51541cd5012b4166efd.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Q: do you guys have any DIY tricks for getting rid of subtle lumps or striations in felt without a block?

I’d like to think I’m pretty adept at recreasing fedoras and westerns and reshaping brims, but derbies and other open crowns are above my pay grade and always show the imperfections.

For example, my new derby arrived dented from shipping. I was able to basically steam out the dent, but the hat still has some subtle lumps and a visible striation on the bow side, and for a brand new custom, I am hoping to get the crown pristinely smooth:

As arrived:

779def8db3ba68845e025baa53c49691.jpg

c8f847277e954fa2392606d938615045.jpg

After some freehand steam:

09942603f21bd51541cd5012b4166efd.jpg

I've had some success using a steam iron like the one in the photo. I either use a smaller block to help me stretch the felt a little from within, or support the felt with my fingers inside the crown as I put the steam on the felt on the outside.

This can only take you so far if you don't remove the liner first, because oftentimes a wrinkle or seam on the liner pushes the felt out and you just transport the wrinkle, seam or bump onto the felt. From the pics, it seems like that is what happened to your hat.

Brent uses an electric hat stretcher that irons the felt from the inside. If I remember correctly, he takes the liner off, folds the sweat down, sprays a little water on the felt, and the heat in the metal stretcher does the rest.
5c37f59ccae0b4904e2269d3e3c03615.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
With the help and advice of many of you, I am geting more comfortablle with knowing and identifying collectible model name felt hats. My knowledge of collectible straw hats is woefully inadequate, however. With summer coming around, would any of you venture a list of model name straws you keep eyes out for? I have a 50's straw Stetson Medalist that is a sweet hat and my only vintage straw at this time (thanks Brent).

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
How do I sew a leather sweatband into a straw hat?

I do not own a 'speciality' machine for the sewing job. How can I sew a leather hatband in by hand? (What kind of stitching pattern do I use?)

How do I sew a leather sweatband into a straw hat?

I do not own a 'speciality' machine for the sewing job. How can I sew a leather hatband in by hand? (What kind of stitching pattern do I use?)

Hey, Bertie, buddy!

There IS a thread all about that. Actually, there are several. Googoo "replacing leather sweatband fedora lounge" and you can pick the best thread for you.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I have used steam and the backs of two metal tablespoons to smooth out some pretty stubborn creases. One inside and one one outside.

Kane

One of the Regulars
Here’s another hat dating question:
Stetson Open Road with a plain white satin liner, brown leather sweat band, hat pin that is just the word “Stetson” as a block of letters, and the red and black square box. Would this be ‘80’s era? ‘90’s era?

Here’s another hat dating question:
Stetson Open Road with a plain white satin liner, brown leather sweat band, hat pin that is just the word “Stetson” as a block of letters, and the red and black square box. Would this be ‘80’s era? ‘90’s era?
Photos would be helpful.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I posted this question under the hate thread, but maybe should have posted it here? I’ve got a tweed flat cap that needs a new liner. Anyone I can send it to? Thanks
I have not seen this addressed on the lounge but I would suggest emailing the custom cap makers here on the lounge or one of the many listed on the ETSY site. I am sure my cap guy would do it but he is located in the UK and the postage would be a killer.

Wilki

New in Town
I am new here and I was wondering if anyone would know how old my Stetson hat is? the sweat band shows the logo John B Stetson co. and says made of real nutria fur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ