Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
G'day

I was wondering what type of hat Fred is wearing in this photo?

View attachment 225160
Looks like a standard fedora but with wide ribbon work (2+") and a telescope bash in the top...no pinches. Looks to have a high crown, at least 4 1/2" but hard to say as the camera angle might be distorting it. The brim looks to be 2 1/4" but again may be distorted from the angle and perhaps 2 1/2". He is wearing it at a rakish angle with more of the front brim snapped down.

Dent

New in Town
Looks like a standard fedora but with wide ribbon work (2+") and a telescope bash in the top...no pinches. Looks to have a high crown, at least 4 1/2" but hard to say as the camera angle might be distorting it. The brim looks to be 2 1/4" but again may be distorted from the angle and perhaps 2 1/2". He is wearing it at a rakish angle with more of the front brim snapped down.
Its, described as a Porkpie, but seem to have a high crown?

Nomenclature for hats is an inexact science. A pork pie is a hat with a telescope bash, a short crown and a brim that does NOT snap down. The hat in the pic has too high a crown to qualify as a pork pie. Also the brim is def snapped down. In my world I would describe it as a fedora with a telescope bash/no pinch. Looking again at the pic the ribbon could be as wide as 3" which would give the crown closer to a 5" height. But again it could just be camera angle.

There isn’t a strict or well-defined definition on some of these terms. If you put a telescope crease/bash in a fedora does that make it a pork pie? If you snap the brim down on a pork pie does that mean it’s no longer a pork pie? It’s not like science where a precise chemical composition or where exact agreed upon characteristics define what something is. You can’t use a field guide to key out things that are more arbitrary and a bit nebulous. I’d say that pork pies, trilbies, and other soft felts are all types of fedoras, so the hat in the photo is a fedora. It doesn’t look like what most of us imagine when we think of a pork pie; to my eye, the only porkpie attribute is the telescope crown shape. However, if you think the defining attribute to a pork pie is a telescope crown then to you it would be a pork pie.

Proportions are hard to tell from a single photo. Along with photo angle, it’s deceptive because how small Fred was. A 2 1/2” brim on a big guy with a 7 3/4 hat size looks a lot different from a 2 1/2” brim on a small guy with a 6 5/8” hat size.

The general type of hat in the photo shouldn’t be hard to find, and then you just need to shape it as Fred did.

There isn’t a strict or well-defined definition on some of these terms. If you put a telescope crease/bash in a fedora does that make it a pork pie? If you snap the brim down on a pork pie does that mean it’s no longer a pork pie? It’s not like science where a precise chemical composition or where exact agreed upon characteristics define what something is. You can’t use a field guide to key out things that are more arbitrary and a bit nebulous. I’d say that pork pies, trilbies, and other soft felts are all types of fedoras, so the hat in the photo is a fedora. It doesn’t look like what most of us imagine when we think of a pork pie; to my eye, the only porkpie attribute is the telescope crown shape. However, if you think the defining attribute to a pork pie is a telescope crown then to you it would be a pork pie.

Proportions are hard to tell from a single photo. Along with photo angle, it’s deceptive because how small Fred was. A 2 1/2” brim on a big guy with a 7 3/4 hat size looks a lot different from a 2 1/2” brim on a small guy with a 6 5/8” hat size.

The general type of hat in the photo shouldn’t be hard to find, and then you just need to shape it as Fred did.
I would buy that hat if it would make me able to dance a bit!

SteveFord

A-List Customer
Mary Ann or Ginger?
Mary Ann!

I had a lot of questions so I ordered Stetson Hats by Jeffrey B. Snyder. If you haven't seen it the book is coffee table sized.
What I came away with is just how difficult it is to track this company's products with any real degree of certainty.
As Frunobulax said nobody was keeping records of anything for posterity and it all just got shoveled into dumpsters at the end. Very similar to American made vacuum tubes: it was a job, demand crashed and that's the end of that.
I guess the book is worth buying just for the sake of having it but it's not quite the reference guide I was hoping it would be. The factory didn't make it easy for those who came along after the fact.
stetson book.jpg

Hungry4Hats

New in Town
I'm a regular framed, 170 lb, 5' 8" guy with a hat size 7. I'm looking into buying an Indian Jones style hat but I was wondering something.. Harrison Ford is 6' 1", the dimensions of the hat look great on him, but he's a bigger guy than me obviously. Should I be looking for a hat more proportional to my size? or would the hat's original 5.5" crown and 2.75≈" brim still look fine on me despite the size discrepancies of Mr.Ford and myself?
I guess what I'm asking more generally is what measurements are considered too big or too small for a person my size?

The Shoe

One Too Many
I'm a regular framed, 170 lb, 5' 8" guy with a hat size 7. I'm looking into buying an Indian Jones style hat but I was wondering something.. Harrison Ford is 6' 1", the dimensions of the hat look great on him, but he's a bigger guy than me obviously. Should I be looking for a hat more proportional to my size? or would the hat's original 5.5" crown and 2.75≈" brim still look fine on me despite the size discrepancies of Mr.Ford and myself?
I guess what I'm asking more generally is what measurements are considered too big or too small for a person my size?
I say go for the full brim. I’m 176cm and 66kg (let me convert that... 5’9” and 145 lb) so slightly taller but with a slighter frame. Admittedly most of my hats have 4~5.5 cm brims, but that’s only because I’ve happened to find good deals on them. Over here in Japan, it’s not so easy to find good value hats with the wider brim. That said, I do have three and I love wearing them. And the wife thinks they look good on me, too.

There are two aspects that come into play. First is whether the hat looks good on you and the second is will you feel comfortable wearing the hat. They are two separate & distinct aspects. It is hard to know what looks good on you til you try it on. Whether you feel good wearing it cannot be discerned til you buy it and wear it.

For me a big part of the fedora journey has been exploring these two aspects and coming to terms with them. Accept the risk of making a "mistake" and chalk it up as lesson learned if the purchase does not work out. There is always the resale on Ebay to recoup some of your money.

Check out the brand new listing in the Classifieds....a great Penman Indy hat in your size at a decent price.....providence has answered your call.

Hungry4Hats

New in Town
Check out the brand new listing in the Classifieds....a great Penman Indy hat in your size at a decent price.....providence has answered your call.
Yeah, thats what I'm looking at right now! Just trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay for it! I've been temp laid off from my daycare job, and the Personal credit card is for groceries. I may have to take out an Ebay card. :confused:

Hungry4Hats

New in Town
I say go for the full brim. I’m 176cm and 66kg (let me convert that... 5’9” and 145 lb) so slightly taller but with a slighter frame. Admittedly most of my hats have 4~5.5 cm brims, but that’s only because I’ve happened to find good deals on them. Over here in Japan, it’s not so easy to find good value hats with the wider brim. That said, I do have three and I love wearing them. And the wife thinks they look good on me, too.
Thanks! I'm looking at one right now, and I'm probably gonna buy it. I just hope I don't look goofy in it.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran