Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SteveFord

A-List Customer
I have a recent Stetson Sutley and it's developed lines in the brim where it snaps down. The lines run towards the outer edge of the hat. Has anyone ever seen this before? It looks like creases in a piece of card board. I was just thinking about how much I liked this hat and then I noticed the lines which kind of spoils the effect.

I have a recent Stetson Sutley and it's developed lines in the brim where it snaps down. The lines run towards the outer edge of the hat. Has anyone ever seen this before? It looks like creases in a piece of card board. I was just thinking about how much I liked this hat and then I noticed the lines which kind of spoils the effect.
Hard to say without seeing the creases. Have you tried steam and hand manipulation to work the creases smooth?

It helped some. It's like they made the hat too thin and then tried to make up for it by making it too stiff. Penny pinching in action.
I have used denatured alcohol to diffuse the shellac in a hat brim. Not saying it would work but it might help to give it a shot of the denatured alcohol, some steam and a good ironing. But then I am not sure what Stetson uses as stiffener. Denatured alcohol is tough to come by these days.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I have read about you guys doing a naphtha bath and how that helped with the odd smell that seems to come with some of the vintage hats. I read somewhere that misting unflavoured vodka on vintage clothes totally removes that odd smell, has anyone on this site ever done that on vintage hats? If so, how well did it work? I thought it would an easy do to find a regular vodka mini and pour it in a spray bottle, but wanted to wait at least to find if anyone had ever attempted this. Cheers
I have not tried vodka to deodorize a hat before, but I did once soak a leather jacket I found thrifting that had a pervasive nasty smell to it in a handle of cheap vodka overnight. Took the nasty odor right out.
I have had good results getting old tobacco smell out of a hat by sealing it in a box for a week with a bunch of crumpled newspapers. Sounds weird but it works. Might work on other strong smells too.

SteveFord

A-List Customer
Thanks, I might have denatured alcohol out in the garage.
The felt creased when the brim was snapped down and the underside of the brim is wrinkled looking.
They made the whole hat stiff as a piece of cardboard, I know you're familiar with that from previous posts.
I like the style but the implementation is underwhelming.

Thank you so much for the tip - denatured alcohol got the creases right out.

Last edited:
Thanks, I might have denatured alcohol out in the garage.
The felt creased when the brim was snapped down and the underside of the brim is wrinkled looking.
They made the whole hat stiff as a piece of cardboard, I know you're familiar with that from previous posts.
I like the style but the implementation is underwhelming.

Thank you so much for the tip - denatured alcohol got the creases right out.
I am beginning to look upon it as a wonder drug.

I have used denatured alcohol to diffuse the shellac in a hat brim. Not saying it would work but it might help to give it a shot of the denatured alcohol, some steam and a good ironing. But then I am not sure what Stetson uses as stiffener. Denatured alcohol is tough to come by these days.

Denatured alcohol is readily available at any hardware/paint supply store, including the big ones.

Denatured alcohol is readily available at any hardware/paint supply store, including the big ones.
Not in my neck of the woods during this pandemic....folks are doing something with it other than mixing shellac. I have had some on back order for a month now from my local wood working shop. Even Amazon only had one supplier last time I looked and they wanted over $100 for shipping.

Not in my neck of the woods during this pandemic....folks are doing something with it other than mixing shellac. I have had some on back order for a month now from my local wood working shop. Even Amazon only had one supplier last time I looked and they wanted over $100 for shipping.

I should have begun with, “under normal circumstances...”

Folks are probably hoarding it to inject, or something like that.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
certainly 7 5/8 yes?
is there a 6 5/8 ?
thanks all,
m
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21