Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Anyone have any idea what’s going on with the felt on the brim of this old Knox. Almost like it was put on a tight block and twisted

C43A565C-18AA-4105-83D4-375CA6F6EE25.png

Anyone have any idea what’s going on with the felt on the brim of this old Knox. Almost like it was put on a tight block and twisted

View attachment 290764

That’s called a tuxedo hat. The entire bottom side of the brim is covered in grosgrain. This style of hat evolved as an alternative to the homburg for semi formal attire. Pair it with a nicely tailored dinner jacket / suit and you’re ready for black tie events. Personally, I prefer the homburg, but it’s nice to have options.

I had one once that I sold to Garrett and he in turn sold to Max.

That’s called a tuxedo hat. The entire bottom side of the brim is covered in grosgrain. This style of hat evolved as an alternative to the homburg for semi formal attire. Pair it with a nicely tailored dinner jacket / suit and you’re ready for black tie events. Personally, I prefer the homburg, but it’s nice to have options.

I had one once that I sold to Garrett and he in turn sold to Max.
How interesting. After I zoom in I can see the grosgrain texture.

Any ideas on “reactivating” the felt on a velour like felt after it has been slightly compressed by stacking. It creates what appears as a color difference where the fibers don’t line up the same. I’ve tried brushing in different directions and it seems to help. Time sitting unpacked seems to also diminish. Was thinking brushing with steam might do the trick. Any ideas?

Hard to capture exactly in photos. But you can sort of see the affected area starts about an inch above the brim and extends about two inches where the hat above it sat.

24767C1F-EEA0-464B-B964-8788A0539051.jpeg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Any ideas on “reactivating” the felt on a velour like felt after it has been slightly compressed by stacking. It creates what appears as a color difference where the fibers don’t line up the same. I’ve tried brushing in different directions and it seems to help. Time sitting unpacked seems to also diminish. Was thinking brushing with steam might do the trick. Any ideas?

Hard to capture exactly in photos. But you can sort of see the affected area starts about an inch above the brim and extends about two inches where the hat above it sat.

View attachment 290860
I've read (I think it was Moon who said so) that the color difference is due to the leather sweatband of the hat above it altering the felt it was in contact with. That is why hats should be stacked with a foam spacer in between them, like Alan and Daniele do it.

I've read (I think it was Moon who said so) that the color difference is due to the leather sweatband of the hat above it altering the felt it was in contact with. That is why hats should be stacked with a foam spacer in between them, like Alan and Daniele do it.

oh yeah for sure stacking is a recipe for undesirable results. Space does become a factor though to most of us.

I get that chemicals or actual sweat on the sweatbands could cause discoloration of the felt below. However this particular problem seems more specific to this type of finish. I think it is more of a crushing in this case and would happen whether it was a sweatband or foam any anything compressing the finish. Think like crushed velvet

I would try a good dousing with steam and light brushing perhaps with an orange hat sponge......something just a little more robust than a brush

I have a stiffer nylon bristle brush that I sparingly use at times. It’s much more effective at reorienting the fibers and restoring the nap of the felt. It isn’t used often, but under the right circumstances it’s the perfect tool. And of course lots of steam.

I would try a good dousing with steam and light brushing perhaps with an orange hat sponge......something just a little more robust than a brush

I have a stiffer nylon bristle brush that I sparingly use at times. It’s much more effective at reorienting the fibers and restoring the nap of the felt. It isn’t used often, but under the right circumstances it’s the perfect tool. And of course lots of steam.

Thanks for your advice guys. I should pick up something like that. All I have is a fairly soft horse hair brush.

I’ve seen this happen on a few of my other velour or velour like hats... wasn’t too worried about it as they were always that way. This one had managed to remain unscathed. However this time it made it to the bottom of the pile for a while and when I pulled it out today.. there it was.

Thanks for your advice guys. I should pick up something like that. All I have is a fairly soft horse hair brush.

I’ve seen this happen on a few of my other velour or velour like hats... wasn’t too worried about it as they were always that way. This one had managed to remain unscathed. However this time it made it to the bottom of the pile for a while and when I pulled it out today.. there it was.
I use the white spun poly kitchen pads (sold as non abrasive on Amazon) as a finishing step when I pounce. They don't remove any felt but they do have some bite to them.

Central Valley hatter

New in Town
Hello , I was wondering if I could get some info on how different the Stetson Open Road of old and the new ones differ .I have seen on YouTube and other forms that the crowns where taller the brims shorter and some say longer . In info would be nice

Hello , I was wondering if I could get some info on how different the Stetson Open Road of old and the new ones differ .I have seen on YouTube and other forms that the crowns where taller the brims shorter and some say longer . In info would be nice

If you’ll take the time to search and read what’s in the zillions of pages of OR discussion here, you’ll be an expert!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL