Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snowman

Practically Family
Hey! New to the forum here with the sort of question I'm sure gets asked a ton...

I've been jonesing for a Borsalino for a few years now. Figured I'd get one when I strike it big. I just moved to L.A. and first order of business is to explore my nearby thrift shops. This hat caught my eye, so when I flipped it over and saw it was an $8 Borsalino I was floored. Then I almost passed out when it fit! So now I have all the questions. When? Where? How should I clean it?

I've been searching the forum and I'm starting to think it's one of the Bollman's? I'd love some insight as it's back story continues to set my imagination running:) View attachment 318854 View attachment 318855 View attachment 318855 View attachment 318856 View attachment 318858 View attachment 318859 View attachment 318860 View attachment 318857
Great looking lid. It should clean right up with Steve’s advice.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the reply!

From what I gather, he wore a 7 or thereabouts. A smaller size than what the average member of the forum would wear today.

I'm lucky to have an exact 58cm head circumference, making a 7 1/4 an excellent fit. Would my 2 3/8" brim look proportional to Bogart's?

As a rule I don't try to emulate anyone, but his hat wearing is closest to what I'm trying to achieve, I think.

For whatever it's worth (probably not much) the series of hats currently made by Borsalino and authorized by the Bogart estate have 6.5cm brims

https://borsalino.com/en/women/fall/winter/the-bogart-by-borsalino-cut-2

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
HELP!!! I need information on this hat. I can find nothing on it anywhere. Mainly want to know what year it was made, its worth, etc. Thank you to anyone who can help.
The size tag makes it post 1970ish, but I suspect it is newer than that. As it isn't a high end Stetson and not in demand. I would say from experience it may be worth $30 or $40 to the right person.

Last edited:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In a recent post on another thread, I mentioned wearing a hat in inclement weather. I must say, whenever it's raining or blowing, I am always in a quandry trying to decide what hat to wear. Ironically, those are two of the major conditions best suited to hat wearing!

So, what do you folks do? Do you have weatherproof hats you choose to wear? Do you condition hats with sealer or some form of treatment to make them weather resistant? Do you just grin and bear it, knowing that you may have some drying, shaping, blocking, etc. to do when you return indoors?

We've had a lot of rain lately, which is standard for this time of year and the region in which I live. I must say that I tend to eschew my nicer hats and opt for a wool beanie or ball cap when daring the outdoors. You?
Early on, I bought a waxed cotton outback hat for wearing in heavy rain. I wore it exactly once and now it sits in the back room.

Like others, I don't wear my prized vintage hats in extreme weather but I have worn all of my hats when it was drizzling rain. No straw, though, just felt.

I also have thought about getting an outdoor hat from OR or Tilly but just never pulled the trigger. I guess, in the end, I didn't really feel the need.

If I know it's going to be really bad as I head out the door I grab an old Stratton western that was cleaned and refurbed by Mike Miller about 3 years ago. At first, I sprayed the hat with an entire can of waterproofing, over several days, and while I did notice a difference in how it repelled rain for a week or two, it does nothing now. Waste of time and money, I think.

The Stratton has been soaked, and covered in snow, sleet, freezing rain, etc. and I just shake it off and use the opportunity to improve the crease/bash. It's a great foul weather hat, and IMO a big improvement over anything from Akubra, Tilly or Outdoor Research.

Stratton_0219_01.jpg

Adam L

New in Town
Hi Loungers, I just finished making my second hat, and I have some unintentional distressing that I’m trying to learn from. I don’t have a flange, so I added some last minute clear shellac to stiffen the brim on this one and I feel like I ruined it. It had these terrible blotches, which I’ve tried to remedy with sandpaper. Although it’s not the worst thing in the world, I’d like to know where I went wrong before approaching my next hat. Any ideas what might have been the cause of the sandy distressing along the brim?
Appreciate your thoughts!

Attachments

• B1EE0F1E-3B6B-4FD3-841D-D407AC67A103.jpeg
    B1EE0F1E-3B6B-4FD3-841D-D407AC67A103.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 330

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Hi Loungers, I just finished making my second hat, and I have some unintentional distressing that I’m trying to learn from. I don’t have a flange, so I added some last minute clear shellac to stiffen the brim on this one and I feel like I ruined it. It had these terrible blotches, which I’ve tried to remedy with sandpaper. Although it’s not the worst thing in the world, I’d like to know where I went wrong before approaching my next hat. Any ideas what might have been the cause of the sandy distressing along the brim?

Did you use clear/blonde unwaxed shellac flakes dissolved in denatured alcohol or did you use some ready made shop bought shellac product ?

Adam L

New in Town
Did you use clear/blonde unwaxed shellac flakes dissolved in denatured alcohol or did you use some ready made shop bought shellac product ?
Deep down, I guess I always knew the ready-made Zinsser shellac was a bad call. I bought it during lockdown when getting my hands on the flakes was proving to be difficult and time consuming. It worked on the first application, but the second round destroyed the felt. The mixture of alcohol and shellac sounded promising. I was assuming that was the problem, so thanks for verifying. I guess I’ll be doing this properly next time. Trial and error. Any thoughts on whether this can be fixed?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a hat with a super floppy brim and thought it would need some shellac, maybe a brim binding to bring it around. Nope. Hatter steamed it like crazy and ironed the brim, now it's stiffened perfectly. Of course, he ironed it on a flange but if you want to iron it flat then all is well.

Last edited:

Mister Meatball

New in Town
First time here at the Lounge: Wondering if anybody has any experience with hats made by Super Duper (I know, weird name) in Florence, Italy? Their styles remind me of Worth & Worth in NYC. My hats are more traditional in style (older Borsalinos, Biltmore, Selentino, a lot of J&J's custom stuff from Spain) but I'm being tempted by some of SD's more classic-looking hats.

Deep down, I guess I always knew the ready-made Zinsser shellac was a bad call. I bought it during lockdown when getting my hands on the flakes was proving to be difficult and time consuming. It worked on the first application, but the second round destroyed the felt. The mixture of alcohol and shellac sounded promising. I was assuming that was the problem, so thanks for verifying. I guess I’ll be doing this properly next time. Trial and error. Any thoughts on whether this can be fixed?
The ready mixed shellac spray has wax in it. Likely the wax has penetrated deeply into the fibres so may be hard to impossible to remove. I came close to making the same error but I read the ingredients before.....dodged a bullet! Look for Mohawk brand shellac thinner..it is 95% pure ethanol. I bought the Super Blonde flakes on Amazon

I had a hat with a super floppy brim and thought it would need some shellac, maybe a brim binding ro bring it around. Nope. Hatter steamed it like crazy and ironed the brim, now it's stiffened perfectly. Of course, he ironed it on a flange but if you want to iron it flat then all is well.
Yes, I do the same....works well. If the brim needs an extra shot I use my home made brim press. 2'x2' - 5/8" ply wood sheet then another sheet with a hole cut in the centre to match the block's footprint plus a bit. Sandwhich the hat in between and clamp all four sides. Leave to dry overnight and you get a perfectly flat brim.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have a Beaver Brand that is just about that same caliber, Doug. No muss, no fuss. I wear it wet or dry.

20210319_155920.jpg 20210319_160125.jpg 20210319_155847.jpg

Early on, I bought a waxed cotton outback hat for wearing in heavy rain. I wore it exactly once and now it sits in the back room. Like others, I don't wear my prized vintage hats in extreme weather but I have worn all of my hats when it was drizzling rain. No straw, though, just felt.

I also have thought about getting an outdoor hat from OR or Tilly but just never pulled the trigger. I guess, in the end, I didn't really feel the need.

If I know it's going to be really bad as I head out the door I grab an old Stratton western that was cleaned and refurbed by Mike Miller about 3 years ago. At first, I sprayed the hat with an entire can of waterproofing, over several days, and while I did notice a difference in how it repelled rain for a week or two, it does nothing now. Waste of time and money, I think.

The Stratton has been soaked, and covered in snow, sleet, freezing rain, etc. and I just shake it off and use the opportunity to improve the crease/bash. It's a great foul weather hat, and IMO a big improvement over anything from Akubra, Tilly or Outdoor Research.

View attachment 319389

Adam L

New in Town
The ready mixed shellac spray has wax in it. Likely the wax has penetrated deeply into the fibres so may be hard to impossible to remove. I came close to making the same error but I read the ingredients before.....dodged a bullet! Look for Mohawk brand shellac thinner..it is 95% pure ethanol. I bought the Super Blonde flakes on Amazon

Ah! Belfast, you told me to do this even before I started! I don’t see wax in the ingredients, but it does look and feel like wax so I imagine you’re right again. I was desperate to move forward and this can of shellac seemed like it had all the right ingredients. I’m embarrassed! Anyway, I’ve learned my lesson, and that’s part of the journey. Time to find another felt. Thanks, again, Belfast!

Last edited:
Ah! Belfast, you told me to do this even before I started! I don’t see wax in the ingredients, but it does look and feel like wax so I imagine you’re right again. I was desperate to move forward and this can of shellac seemed like it had all the right ingredients. I’m embarrassed! Anyway, I’ve learned my lesson, and that’s part of the journey. Time to find another felt. Thanks, again, Belfast!

I don’t have anything to add as far as the shellac advice... however I would like to say... wonderful job on your second creation!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch