Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
We used to have a guy around here that operated and exotic bird shop.
Rf5j4A6.png

And here I was thinkin' I'd never be able to use this one again. :cool:

Not really hat related but not sure where to post.
Can’t do carpentry, and since it’s my favorite material, I want to start getting into leatherwork and want to know if anyone here does it as well, someone I can get some advice on where to start.
Check with "Darrell2688" here in the Lounge. He does great leatherwork, belts, hatbands, holsters/belts etc.

Not really hat related but not sure where to post.
Can’t do carpentry, and since it’s my favorite material, I want to start getting into leatherwork and want to know if anyone here does it as well, someone I can get some advice on where to start.

@Desert dog also does great leather work.
I miss seeing Ed’s posts; he can really shape hats and bring out the best of western felt.

glider

A-List Customer
I would suggest you go to a leather craft store such as Tandy and purchase a kit. They come pretty much ready to assemble other than die. After you have assembled that you will have a better understanding of what is involved and go from there. You tube has several instruction videos that are helpful.

glider

A-List Customer
I have in the past purchased felt hats that needed a different ribbon. That's easy enough except when I remove the old ribbon the felt under it is like new, no fading at all and the rest of the hat is a little faded. Has anyone been able to restore the felt that is faded or even die it? I'm looking at a black pork pie now that has a very wide ribbon with the bow in back. I don't care for that, and the ribbon is worn anyway. I just wonder if I would be able to use some spray on black die. I wouldn't want to replace the ribbon with one as big as it has now so there would be felt showing that was under the old ribbon. I'm sure one of you has dealt with this so what's the answer?

I have in the past purchased felt hats that needed a different ribbon. That's easy enough except when I remove the old ribbon the felt under it is like new, no fading at all and the rest of the hat is a little faded. Has anyone been able to restore the felt that is faded or even die it? I'm looking at a black pork pie now that has a very wide ribbon with the bow in back. I don't care for that, and the ribbon is worn anyway. I just wonder if I would be able to use some spray on black die. I wouldn't want to replace the ribbon with one as big as it has now so there would be felt showing that was under the old ribbon. I'm sure one of you has dealt with this so what's the answer?
Sun bleaching in my experience is permanent. With black it is the easier of the colours to redye. I have never tried the Rit dyes or food colouring or hair dye. I only use Acid dyes such as Jacquard. But it should be possible to get an even dye job with the black. However it has to be done in hot water and you would need to tear the hat down to just the felt and then reblock/flange when dyed. The other aspect to deal with is when you reblock it you have to take great caution to block it evenly or you then have to trim the brim to make it even. There are ways to help match the original brim/crown break and if you go that route I can fill you in.

Some years ago I tried dyeing a used hat using human hair coloring. Hey, “fur” felt is just hair, right? Even though I stripped the fur with degreaser and cleaned and rinsed it well, the results were less than perfect. More recently, Rick @humanshoes tried to dye a new felt that developed issues as Rick was making a hat for me. The results were not good enough for Rick to continue with the project. I’m still hoping that someday we will revisit this project.

Dyeing felt can be tricky. Keep us updated on how it goes.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Some years ago I tried dyeing a used hat using human hair coloring. Hey, “fur” felt is just hair, right? Even though I stripped the fur with degreaser and cleaned and rinsed it well, the results were less than perfect. More recently, Rick @humanshoes tried to dye a new felt that developed issues as Rick was making a hat for me. The results were not good enough for Rick to continue with the project. I’m still hoping that someday we will revisit this project.

Dyeing felt can be tricky. Keep us updated on how it goes.
We will definitely revisit that one Brent. As soon as it warms up a bit here I plan to put a big kettle on the boil outside, load it with acid dye, and cook that damn hat body until it does what I want it to do.:mad:

We will definitely revisit that one Brent. As soon as it warms up a bit here I plan to put a big kettle on the boil outside, load it with acid dye, and cook that damn hat body until it does what I want it to do.:mad:
I continue to dye....undeterred by my lack of success......but with a clenched jaw and stupid determination I refuse to admit defeat!!

Juhani

New in Town
A question about history of ribbon styles! When did they start making shark gill ribbons for fedoras? I tried different ways to find out the answer here, but with my skills, I couldn’t get any, so if the topic has been discussed earlier, would you please kindly provide a link....
Regards,
Juhani

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points