Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Can anybody give me an idea on the dating of this Byer-Rolnick (Resistol) tag?

I messed up an overpaid for this vintage hat that was not in as good condition as I expected despite being in 7 3/8 6" crown and 2 3/4" brim. I am trying to determine if I should spend the $ on a full restoration or go ahead and dump it on ebay to cut my losses. Knowing the approximate vintage would help with the decision. Thanks.

View attachment 406560
Buyer-Rolnick started in business in 1927, moved to Garland in 1938, & were sold in ~1968. That's as specific as I can be. Maybe someone else can get closer.

You didn't say what style of hat you have. They didn't come out with a line of Western hats until 1935.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Buyer-Rolnick started in business in 1927, moved to Garland in 1938, & were sold in ~1968. That's as specific as I can be. Maybe someone else can get closer.

You didn't say what style of hat you have. They didn't come out with a line of Western hats until 1935.
Thanks for the information. Not a western hat, vintage felt fedora 6" crown and 2 3/4" brim with triple stitching. I can post a pic if that helps.

I messed up an overpaid for this vintage hat that was not in as good condition as I expected despite being in 7 3/8 6" crown and 2 3/4" brim. I am trying to determine if I should spend the $ on a full restoration or go ahead and dump it on ebay to cut my losses. Knowing the approximate vintage would help with the decision. Thanks.

View attachment 406560

A single tag isn't much to go on. As Jack indicated, seeing the style could help, along with any sweatband markings (what store was it sold from?). Also difficult to give advice when we can't see the extent of the damage.

View attachment 406560

It’s will take some work/time on your part, but I’d start off going through the entire Resistol Roundup thread to see if there are similar labels and seeing what those folks came up with.

The other advice about more photos is spot on. Resistol fedoras, particularly those in the dimensions you provided, can be great hats and quite possibly well-worth the effort and expense of restoration.

Just curious. I have no further knowledge on the green printed sticker.

I have a couple like that, although I'm a little more familiar with the tag that's more more wide than tall. I think I've seen these in green and black.

aHR0cDovL3VwbG9hZHMudGFwYXRhbGstY2RuLmNvbS8yMDE2MDIyNS9kNWM2ZmUxMzkxZmQ1M2IwNzg1YzBjMzU4NDllM2...jpg

The "Pace-setter" that I picked up a while back (on it's way to Steve via Wolfbrae) has the green label. I guesstimated 1940s, but that might be a WAG..

View attachment 406687

View attachment 406688

View attachment 406689

A Resistol "Ten" with the model name of "Lounger" may be a bit older. It has a different label.

View attachment 406691

View attachment 406692

View attachment 406693
I received that hat yesterday ....great felt and it will clean up nicely and make a very good hat..

Ken David

One of the Regulars
It’s will take some work/time on your part, but I’d start off going through the entire Resistol Roundup thread to see if there are similar labels and seeing what those folks came up with.

The other advice about more photos is spot on. Resistol fedoras, particularly those in the dimensions you provided, can be great hats and quite possibly well-worth the effort and expense of restoration.
Going to check out the Resistol roundup, thanks! In the meantime a few pics....still trying to decide if I should go ahead and get it restored or consider it a lost cause....missing liner, needs sweat, minor moth damage and crown ribbon not original (needs replaced). Pros are nice felt and dimensions.

Attachments

• hat6.jpg
    hat6.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 40
  • hat5.jpg
    hat5.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 37
  • hat4.jpg
    hat4.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 43
  • hat3.jpg
    hat3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • hat2.jpg
    hat2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • ha1.jpg
    ha1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • hat7.jpg
    hat7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The "Pace-setter" that I picked up a while back (on it's way to Steve via Wolfbrae) has the green label. I guesstimated 1940s, but that might be a WAG..

View attachment 406687

View attachment 406688

View attachment 406689

A Resistol "Ten" with the model name of "Lounger" may be a bit older. It has a different label.

View attachment 406691

View attachment 406692

View attachment 406693
Well would you look at that. I'm even more interested now to hear about the age of hats with that type of label.
Thanks Bob for letting it be sent my way.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Going to check out the Resistol roundup, thanks! In the meantime a few pics....still trying to decide if I should go ahead and get it restored or consider it a lost cause....missing liner, needs sweat, minor moth damage and crown ribbon not original (needs replaced). Pros are nice felt and dimensions.
It's all a matter of what you want yourself, Ken, and how much you're willing to put into the refurbishment of this hat. It will never be as new, nor look like it once did, especially inside, but it could possibly still be a cool hat.

If you don't know a competent hatter in North Carolina, I can really recommend Robert @belfastboy of Wolfbrae Custom Hatters. He's in Canada, but well worth reaching out to.

I'd refurb it. The problems you note are all quite fixable. I think that sweatband may even be salvageable if you can find somebody to tackle a reedless sweat. Everything else on the hat is replaceable and the moth damage doesn't look too bad it can't be repaired. This sounds right up Woflbrae's alley, though I don't know if he'll tackle the sweatband. We've had a few people do that and some have been pretty successful.

You could also try our Member @bond, who is available on Etsy as Fine Vintage Fedoras.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
It's all a matter of what you want yourself, Ken, and how much you're willing to put into the refurbishment of this hat. It will never be as new, nor look like it once did, especially inside, but it could possibly still be a cool hat.

If you don't know a competent hatter in North Carolina, I can really recommend Robert @belfastboy of Wolfbrae Custom Hatters. He's in Canada, but well worth reaching out to.
Thanks Steve, I have already been in discussion with Robert. Just trying to make a decision to go for the refurb or toss it (not literally), especially since I already got $ into it due to my poor decision. Knowing the age would help with the decision but you're right up to me.

I'd refurb it. The problems you note are all quite fixable. I think that sweatband may even be salvageable if you can find somebody to tackle a reedless sweat. Everything else on the hat is replaceable and the moth damage doesn't look too bad it can't be repaired. This sounds right up Woflbrae's alley, though I don't know if he'll tackle the sweatband. We've had a few people do that and some have been pretty successful.

You could also try our Member @bond, who is available on Etsy as Fine Vintage Fedoras.
Missed your reply! Thanks....good info and recommendations!

I was going to mention the sweat. The leather is in good shape it is only the area of the stitching that has deteriorated. I have had success trimming off the deteriorated stitching area and then resewing the tape. I think salvaging the original leather is important if it is in decent shape and salvageable. Yes, Bond does very good work. I have purchased 6-7 of his refurbished vintage hats.

I was going to mention the sweat. The leather is in good shape it is only the area of the stitching that has deteriorated. I have had success trimming off the deteriorated stitching area and then resewing the tape. I think salvaging the original leather is important if it is in decent shape and salvageable. Yes, Bond does very good work. I have purchased 6-7 of his refurbished vintage hats.

we've had at least a couple Member who've reattached them using the old holes and done a serviceable job. I tried that on about an inch of disconnected sweat once and it looked like Frankenstein's Monster. It really takes some patience and dexterity (two features I lack).

That hat is completely worth having refurbished. There is a lot of potential there.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Steve, I have already been in discussion with Robert. Just trying to make a decision to go for the refurb or toss it (not literally), especially since I already got $ into it due to my poor decision. Knowing the age would help with the decision but you're right up to me.

Missed your reply! Thanks....good info and recommendations!
You're welcome, Ken. Like Jim, I'd go for a refurb, but it's your hat.

Age wise, it's not pre-war, bit my gestimate would be it's not long after WWII. Late 40s / early 50s perhaps. I'm looking forward to to hearing more about it.

we've had at least a couple Member who've reattached them using the old holes and done a serviceable job. I tried that on about an inch of disconnected sweat once and it looked like Frankenstein's Monster. It really takes some patience and dexterity (two features I lack).
Yes, hitting those old holes is a bitch. With this hat the old stitching holes have rotted but the body of the leather sweat is still good. I would cut off the 1/16th of an inch of rotted and resew with machine to reattach the sweat's backing Much easier to do that hit the original holes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy