Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cozy d

Familiar Face
Hi Guys, I know it's been asked many times, and I have tried using the search button but no luck. I need to get some leather sweatbands replaced on a few of my very old vintage fedoras. The people I knew locally aren't around anymore, and even though I live in a big city (San Diego), the couple of millinery outfits we still have here say they don't do that. Could you please recommend me to a reputable professional in California or near the west coast who can do this for me? Thanks!! D

Hi Guys, I know it's been asked many times, and I have tried using the search button but no luck. I need to get some leather sweatbands replaced on a few of my very old vintage fedoras. The people I knew locally aren't around anymore, and even though I live in a big city (San Diego), the couple of millinery outfits we still have here say they don't do that. Could you please recommend me to a reputable professional in California or near the west coast who can do this for me? Thanks!! D

Somewhat close:

cozy d

Familiar Face
Somewhat close:

Thank you Brent! That's pretty close, I may even drive. Still wishing I'd seen your post the other day about that Silverbelly you'd listed on EBAY, but makes me happy to see you got a good price for it!! Thank you again! :) D

dkstott

Practically Family
So I fished a hat out of the 'Bay this morning, and it's made from Polypropylene "straw". The brim is juuuuuust asymmetrical enough to annoy me, so I'm hoping someone here can verify that hot tap water will soften this stuff enough for me to put the brim back into it's original shape and hold that shape as it cools, because I don't have a way to apply steam. Or if there's a preferred method (again, no steam) I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
Since polypropylene is essentially plastic. I'd wager that a little steam will take care if it. BUT I'd make sure I had something to hold the brim in place after steaming until everything cooled off and sets firmly in place.

marisad

New in Town
Here's another issue regarding when to wear a hat and when not to--these days, who really cares? Does the average person in 2021 even know there are/were rules about such things? I mean, sure, if you're in a movie theater or the audience of a live performance it's best to remove your hat if it's blocking the view of people behind you; that's common courtesy. But if you're a college student sitting in Starbucks for a few hours composing a paper on your tablet, does anyone really care whether or not your $12 Trilby is still perched atop your cranium? I've been seated in indoor restaurants near male patrons who were of an age when they should know better, eating their dinners with their caps/hats still on their heads. Even my wife and a good female friend of ours have argued with me as we were being seated at a restaurant that I didn't need to remove my hat because no one but me cared. Mind you, I remove my hat when I'm eating because it's more comfortable for me to do so, not because I care about the opinion of the slob three tables down eating his peas with a butter knife.

So why do we still care if no one else does? I'm not being combative or argumentative, this is a sincere question. I realize many of us here hold ourselves to a higher standard than the rest of the not-so-civilized world, but is that the only reason? Does it really matter that much if the people around you don't even acknowledge it?
I think we should be asking if the hat is part of your head or not. I feel naked without mine so I just wear it as much as I can. In fact, I went to court not too long ago and wore it inside the lobby . But I didn't get called in the hearing room so I don't know what they would've said but I would have kept it on until I got hassled.

Since polypropylene is essentially plastic. I'd wager that a little steam will take care if it. BUT I'd make sure I had something to hold the brim in place after steaming until everything cooled off and sets firmly in place.
Yeah, that's the issue because, as I mentioned, I don't have a way to apply steam. But the folks at Bailey hats agreed with you and advised me to use steam rather than hot water, so I suppose it's time I look into some sort of steamer device for my hats.

I'm thinking relatively compact, relatively simple, and not expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Shoe

One Too Many
Yeah, that's the issue because, as I mentioned, I don't have a way to apply steam. But the folks at Bailey hats agreed with you and advised me to use steam rather than hot water, so I suppose it's time I look into some sort of steamer device for my hats.

I'm thinking relatively compact, relatively simple, and not expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just use my tea kettle on the stove. It's been able to handle all my minor needs. It wouldn't handle major work like changing a crease, but it works on my brims, etc.
I’ve done creases with my kettle. It’s all I have.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

+1 on the kettle

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

On Amazon and pretty cheap. My wife uses mine way more than I do. Great for hats and clothes.
7005E817-A209-47D7-9F6A-AA267F8F240D.jpeg

I have both the basic Jiffy Steamer ($250) but I also have two handheld Rowenta clothing steamers. They make a number of different models and both the ones I have work well. It makes it easy to apply the steam to a specific area. Another item I use, as do many hatters, is just an iron that has the 'burst of steam' feature. I have a used $10 Sunbeam iron (CraigsLIst) that I keep dropping on the cement floor of my shop and the sumbitch refuses to break and die. It works well.....still

On Amazon and pretty cheap. My wife uses mine way more than I do. Great for hats and clothes.
View attachment 425783
I had been using just a pot of boiling water with lid slightly tipped to one side. I recently got this same Steamfast steamer that Bill posted. And what a world of difference! Super easy to use… I can just place it on the counter and hold/manipulate the hat with both hands. Or grab the handle and get it to the angle Or spot I want. Does take about two minutes to get going… which I think is one of the differences for the more expensive ones. But this one was only like $15 at Walmart

The Shoe

One Too Many
I had been using just a pot of boiling water with lid slightly tipped to one side. I recently got this same Steamfast steamer that Bill posted. And what a world of difference! Super easy to use… I can just place it on the counter and hold/manipulate the hat with both hands. Or grab the handle and get it to the angle Or spot I want. Does take about two minutes to get going… which I think is one of the differences for the more expensive ones. But this one was only like $15 at Walmart
That’s nearly $100 on Amazon in Japan!!
Update: I could get the same steamer for $43 including postage to Japan via US Amazon.

I just use my tea kettle on the stove. It's been able to handle all my minor needs.

I’ve done creases with my kettle. It’s all I have.

+1 on the kettle

Yeah, this has been an issue for me. The oven/stove in our kitchen does everything it's supposed to do, but when it comes to boiling water in a pot no steam is generated. It cooks whatever food we put into it, just no steam. Apparently, it gets the water just hot enough for a "gentle" boil that doesn't create enough energy while it's boiling to vaporize the water and create steam.

So...I just ordered one of those Steamfast steamers that Mr. Hughes suggested. Under $30, and with free shipping it's supposed to arrive on Friday, which is fine with me.

My most sincere thanks to you all! I knew I wouldn't have to wait long for the answer. ;)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, this has been an issue for me. The oven/stove in our kitchen does everything it's supposed to do, but when it comes to boiling water in a pot no steam is generated. It cooks whatever food we put into it, just no steam. Apparently, it gets the water just hot enough for a "gentle" boil that doesn't create enough energy while it's boiling to vaporize the water and create steam.

So...I just ordered one of those Steamfast steamers that Mr. Hughes suggested. Under $30, and with free shipping it's supposed to arrive on Friday, which is fine with me.

My most sincere thanks to you all! I knew I wouldn't have to wait long for the answer. ;)
Good choice. My kettle with spout works fine, but now I'm looking at something like Bill posted.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Hello all—

I’m super sorry to see the end of felt season and pushing it as long as I can.

In the meantime I pulled my lone straw hat out of the closet—a modern woven hemp Stratoliner I bought last year and wore all summer.

The brim seems to have curled up over the winter—as if the binding is pulling it up all around. I tried steaming and pressing flat with my hands with no improvement. Is there a next step? Could I iron this with a cloth shield and lots of steam? I wouldn’t mind if it was much flatter but don’t want to destroy the hat.

Thanks for any suggestions!

David

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know anything about the (Stetson?) Big Four Hat? @Robieman posted a replica he had Major Mike build. That is pretty much what I'm imagining my next hat to be. Any insight would be appreciated.

Have yourself a look through the Miller Stockman thread. Shows up in a few ads.

SCAN0368.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk