Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gam

New in Town
I have wanted a safari hat form since I saw one on Brent Blacks site.

But there was no way I would be willing to pay $400. So I had a local wood worker do this for $50.

Not as pretty but 1/8 the cost. The question I have is what do I coat it with? What is used on hat blocks? I'll post more pictures when I receive it which should be next week.

Could you please post the dimensions?

jeff

One of the Regulars
@Who? - measured on my 2008-era "3 hole" Akubra Cattleman (yes, it's a blue felt)

Attachments

• Screenshot  2022-07-22 at 6.07.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 6.07.03 PM.png
    417.6 KB · Views: 38

Who?

Practically Family
Thank you.

Off to count on my fingers for a minute or two.

Results: For the three-holer Cattleman a total of 75.4 square mm of ventilation. For The two-holer Territory a total of 113 square mm of ventilation

Conclusion: The Territory has more total ventilation and should therefore be the cooler of the two hats, all other things being equal.

You, Sir (jeff) have contributed to the advancement of science, and an increase in human knowledge.
My humble thanks.
(please carry on)

Last edited:
Can I wear a gray hat with an olive cotton suit? my instincts tell me that, at best, it’s not an ideal combination. (pix are of the actual articles in question) TIA

View attachment 440162
View attachment 440161

I don’t think it’s an ideal pairing. I’d also look for something other than felt for a summer cotton or linen suit.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
Can I wear a gray hat with an olive cotton suit? my instincts tell me that, at best, it’s not an ideal combination. (pix are of the actual articles in question) TIA

View attachment 440162
View attachment 440161

I agree with the others, at least in general… BUT I think that could possibly work if you don’t mind breaking some rules. I do think it’ll all pull together, color-wise at least, by wearing that blue/white shirt and some black or gray shoes. Trust me it’ll be polarizing with everybody either loving it or hating it. I would do it though. But before you take me too seriously you should know I’ll wear a Stetson Bowler with jeans, T-shirt, and Sperrys and I think that works too.

Mighty44

One Too Many

View attachment 440162
View attachment 440161
I’m going to dissent. I love gray and green together and actually think a gray hat looks good with everything — except maybe another gray. I prefer a brown or a green hat with my gray suit.

Beautiful hat—enjoy!

David

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 440162
View attachment 440161
The blue shirt throws it.
Black shirt, that hat....ideal.
Grey shirt, that hat...ideal.
Even throw in a grey or black tie.
Heck, even a black t-shirt works.

I’m going to dissent. I love gray and green together and actually think a gray hat looks good with everything — except maybe another gray. I prefer a brown or a green hat with my gray suit.

Beautiful hat—enjoy!

David
I am thinking, based on the comments......wear the hell whatever you like. You are bound to impress some and offend others......win/win!

But before you take me too seriously you should know I’ll wear a Stetson Bowler with jeans, T-shirt, and Sperrys and I think that works too.

> But before you take me too seriously you should know I’ll wear a Stetson Bowler with jeans, T-shirt, and Sperrys and I think that works too.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Vintage Stetson bowler and all ;-)
Co-signed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112