Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks for the suggestion. What about them makes them "good ones"?
They are top quality roan (sheep) leather. Supple yet have substance.
The reed tape is generous and accessible for sewing.. He offers them with vent holes as well. Some sweats can be stiff. Scott's stay supple.

I bought his when I was just learning to hat and now buy in bulk.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I'm missing something, Robert, but I just can't understand how that Mayser can cost so much. I bought a similar one a couple of years back in Denmark for the equivalent of about £120.

Great blazer btw!
Thanks for the compliment about the blazer Steve, so glad I'm not the only one that finds pricing confusing at least. I know a little about the hand weave and the hat weight but it still doesn't justify such a price difference.

That blazer is killer! I think you are right, a nice panama will look awesome with that.

I have the Mayser you posted there, it was an anniversary gift from my wife. I tried it on while we were shopping at a haberdashery in Portland together and commented on how much i liked it but didn't want to spend the money at the time, so she went back and got it for me as a gift. It's very nice, and certainly an awesome gift, but honestly I don't understand the price tag.

Now that is what I call a real four hundred buck's worth of wow factor, compliments to you and thank you too for your comment on my blazer.

glider

A-List Customer
I will confess, I like the modern Stetsons. If given the choice between a modern Stetson and a vintage Stetson in the same condition for approximately the same money I would of course go for the vintage Stetson. That really has nothing to do with my question. Since Dobbs is now owned by the same company as Stetson [has been for a while] are they still 2 different companies. The hat outlet in St Joe has both in stock and it is hard to tell which is which without looking at the liner. Some of my favorite vintage hats are Dobbs Golden Coach hats, actually haven't purchased a new Dobbs ever. No reason, just haven't.

I will confess, I like the modern Stetsons. If given the choice between a modern Stetson and a vintage Stetson in the same condition for approximately the same money I would of course go for the vintage Stetson. That really has nothing to do with my question. Since Dobbs is now owned by the same company as Stetson [has been for a while] are they still 2 different companies. The hat outlet in St Joe has both in stock and it is hard to tell which is which without looking at the liner. Some of my favorite vintage hats are Dobbs Golden Coach hats, actually haven't purchased a new Dobbs ever. No reason, just haven't.

They're all manufactured at the same plant in Garland using Stetson's self-produced felts, so I think it's safe to say the materials and workmanship are the same. They probably have different design teams and marketing teams, though.

Happy St Patrick's Day to you!!!!
1679059193463.png

And speaking of Whisky~~~~~
1679059162460.png

Takimon

New in Town
This seems to work on other sites, so I figure that it deserves a shot here.

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Here's one to break the ice.
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCards.jpg
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCardsback.jpg

Takimon

New in Town
The Stetson Selby sold brand new for about $225 -$250. That eBay price is slightly higher than I'd pay for a "new without tags" modern Stetson.
Yes this is what I’m asking. Did I pay the right price for this hat. Also is the hat genuine or counterfeit? Is there a counterfeit problem in hats? I worry that I’m going to get a cheap knockoff. I would normally ask first but with auctions I don’t trust people not to front run me and buy it out from under me. If someone here says this is a knockoff I can probably cancel the order if I need to. So I paid $160 for the hat, I like the style but didn’t know if I bought a hat with garbage quality felt or something like that.

Yes this is what I’m asking. Did I pay the right price for this hat. Also is the hat genuine or counterfeit? Is there a counterfeit problem in hats? I worry that I’m going to get a cheap knockoff. I would normally ask first but with auctions I don’t trust people not to front run me and buy it out from under me. If someone here says this is a knockoff I can probably cancel the order if I need to. So I paid $160 for the hat, I like the style but didn’t know if I bought a hat with garbage quality felt or something like that.

The market for fedoras isn't very big to begin with, so I really don't think the knock-off market would be very lucrative. Just stay away from those shady kiosks on Times Square selling Stefsons and Mailories. And never buy a hat from this guy:

David_Leisure_Joe_Isuzu_Resized.jpg

As far as price, if you're happy, you didn't pay too much.

I’d bet it’s a genuine hat…hard to think why anyone would counterfeit a modern Royal. I think most people who buy this hat are happy with it and don’t regret their purchase. It’s a fur (rabbit) felt hat and it’s not likely to fall apart on you.

Most of us here at The Fedora Lounge are a bit fanatical. We obsess over all things hats and we often have a wide variety of hats to compare others with. The modern Stetson Royal line isn’t great when compared to some other hats available: modern and vintage, but it’s a serviceable hat. Many of the members here don’t represent the average hat buyer with the average hat buyer’s expectations…our concerns or issues with the hat might mean nothing to you.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Even if there were a problem with counterfeit hats, this is probably not the style of hat that's going to be counterfeited.

Royal Quality is on the lower end of the spectrum of Stetson's offerings, but the year of manufacture does make a difference. The hat you purchased is a more modern offering that isn't necessarily a "collector's" hat. But as Brent says above, we are the small minority of hat fanatics.

What vintage hats are "worth" is always a bit of a crap shoot. Ebay itself seems to have cycles of price surges every so often. Size also affects the selling price. But the most important thing is if you like the hat. There are lots of folks who wouldn't have paid as much as I did for a contemporary Herbert Johnson Raiders Poet, but I value having the Indy hat.

Snowman

Practically Family
As far as ”scams” go, I doubt this is one. The ad looks legit and if you received the hat that was represented, then it’s legit. I have a limit in my head when I consider a hat (and some hats cause me to stretch that limit) to what I’m willing to pay. If you are satisfied with the hat and the price you paid, I’d say it’s a good get for you.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a reputable hat shop. Nice looking hat. Very Jack Lemmon in “Good neighbour Sam”, mid 60’s look. Great discount from retail pricing as well. I cant see how you can loose. It is a modern Stetson so I don’t know the quality of the felt. I have one from the late 90’s that’s needs a hit of Scotchguard once in a while to take a light rain shower but other than that it’s a good hat.
Hope that helps. As always once your hat comes in please post pictures and tell us your thoughts.
Johnny

Lgrant

New in Town
In the 1960s, there was a TV program where the protagonist was some sort of troubleshooter. He wore a black hat, either fedora or a flat cowboy hat. (I don't remember the genre of the show.) And he had a hatband made up of a bunch of oval mirrors. Does anyone remember this? I always thought it was Mr. Lucky. But I have looked at pictures from Mr. Lucky online, and I don't see the signature hat. Paladin wore a hat with a leather headband, and Peter Gunn didn't seem to wear hats often, and when he did, they were standard fedoras. And that's all the 1960's TV shows I can remember the names of. Does anyone else remember? Thanks!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
In the 1960s, there was a TV program where the protagonist was some sort of troubleshooter. He wore a black hat, either fedora or a flat cowboy hat. (I don't remember the genre of the show.) And he had a hatband made up of a bunch of oval mirrors. Does anyone remember this? I always thought it was Mr. Lucky. But I have looked at pictures from Mr. Lucky online, and I don't see the signature hat. Paladin wore a hat with a leather headband, and Peter Gunn didn't seem to wear hats often, and when he did, they were standard fedoras. And that's all the 1960's TV shows I can remember the names of. Does anyone else remember? Thanks!

Perhaps this? Mentions the "mirror myth" and "shiny silver dollars"? I only vaguely remember this show - because of my age I would have had to have seen it in reruns at some point.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052474/reviews

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk