Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
For anyone who's following this particular lead, it appears there was a hat for offer HERE in 2013 on the FL, and pkyoakum responded 8 years later to crickets that he'd just picked up the same liner on a hat. He then posted his own thread HERE but to no avail. He calls this hat a "Zenith."

The trail ends there.

Well, if the liner is original it's a Whippet, but not the kind desired by most that will command the Big Bucks. Stetson has continued the Whippet name over the years, but the style changed. As with most fedoras, the brims got shorter and the crowns lower. Newer Whippets look more like the 40s-50s ones. Most of the older Whippets have a 5 1/2" OC and 2 1/2" brim width.

This post in the Whippet thread shows some evolution of the model: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/at-the-dog-track-the-whippets.18602/post-1119072. The entire thread is worthy of your consideration.

It does have confusing markings. I'm not familiar with that particular reorder tag - perhaps it was when they were being made under license in the 70s. Kind of an unusual size tag, as well.

I don't know what the Zenith part refers to, as it appears from one of the other threads you pointed to that Stetson never licensed a "Zenith" hat.

Billie89

New in Town
I do not know anything about hats I am hoping someone can help me. I have done some research and I believe its 1960’s part of Stetson. I am looking to find out how old this hat is. It was my husband’s grandfathers and I would love to find out more about this hat for him. Here are pictures I took of the hat. It’s braided and kind of soft.

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2424.jpeg
    IMG_2424.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2423.jpeg
    IMG_2423.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2421.jpeg
    IMG_2421.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2419.jpeg
    IMG_2419.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 54

Snowman

Practically Family
I do not know anything about hats I am hoping someone can help me. I have done some research and I believe its 1960’s part of Stetson. I am looking to find out how old this hat is. It was my husband’s grandfathers and I would love to find out more about this hat for him. Here are pictures I took of the hat. It’s braided and kind of soft.
I would venture to guess that your Stevens hat is from the mid to late 1960s to early 1970s. I am not an expert on these hats, but there are some here who are.

Stevens

I’m not an expert either, but I’d say the 1960s to 1970s sounds right. Stevens bought the Stetson trademark and made hats under the Stetson name from sometime around 1972 until 2005ish. They were not the same company as Stetson, but there is the connection. After Stetson went out of business they existed in name only and Stevens was the first company to own the rights to the name after Stetson called it quits. All the Stevens hats I’ve seen or handled, including those stating “Beaver Blend,” have been lower end hats. Some of the hats made under the Stetson name were shocking bad, but some were decent. I personally haven’t seen a hat from this era with the Stetson name that was better than decent. I don’t know if Stevens continued making hats under their own name after acquiring the rights to make Stetsons. If they did continue making them then your hat may be more recent that they I guessed at. As I said, I’m no expert.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
I've been reshaping the crown on my Northwest fedora and I noticed the felt is spidering or wrinkling a bit. It's not terrible but it is noticeable. I was wondering if that is normal for a custom made hat? Also, the stiffener has a funky smell. Again, it's not terrible but there is a smell, which is something I've ever noticed on any other open crown hat--Stetson or Akubra. Are these things just because the hat is only a few months old?

I've been reshaping the crown on my Northwest fedora and I noticed the felt is spidering or wrinkling a bit. It's not terrible but it is noticeable. I was wondering if that is normal for a custom made hat? Also, the stiffener has a funky smell. Again, it's not terrible but there is a smell, which is something I've ever noticed on any other open crown hat--Stetson or Akubra. Are these things just because the hat is only a few months old?

Are you shaping it dry or with steam / water? Dry shaping can do that -- especially on hats with a lot of stiffener.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times already so once more ain't gonna hurt any--Besides price, is there any big difference between rabbit felt and beaver? Is beaver softer and more "vintage" feeling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner