Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Anyone know where the two-cell (Finisher and Depth) Stetson factory sticker falls in the time line. I would guess in the 1900 to 1915 range, but not sure if early or late.

View attachment 532001

View attachment 532002

View attachment 532003

Similar hat with the three-cell (Block, Depth and Finish) sticker:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pre-1940s-stetson-dress-hats.42859/page-8#post-1190939

View attachment 532004

The two-cell does have something printed about midway down, but I can’t make it out. It could be the heading for the blocking section, so the question is now about the format of the sticker and not the cell count.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
An Akubra Banjo Paterson.
That’s a great hat - it was my very first felt hat.

Here's one of my favorite photos ever in that hat. I wore the banjo two years straight.

I hope you wear it in good health.
32E0D1C0-84C3-490C-88C7-204A5DF3CA73.jpeg

SteveFord

A-List Customer
I know nothing about straw hats.
Had a second bout of skin cancer so a hat in the sun is a good thing.
Any recommendations for a straw fedora? Anything in particular to avoid?

I prefer Panamas due to their lightweight but buy inexpensive ones so I don't worry about damage. If I get 2 or 3 seasons from one I consider it money well spent. Get one with a 3"+ brim.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The Akubra hemp hats are a good option, but they have had availability issues. SunBody palm hats are an option, but they are heavier and less refined than other options.

I have two straws and one is an Akubra hemp (Balmoral). Honestly, it is one of my most comfortable hats and its aesthetic is very pleasing. But I need multipurpose hats and straws obviously don't provide the rain protection, so they rarely travel with me.

Here is a shot in a Balmoral from last decade

14D4511D-94D5-43A6-84C8-C9639616423D.jpeg

I personally would not trust skin cancer to any straw hat. I would buy an Akubra Slouch and never take it off.

I'm not the one facing the threat, though, and don't intend to question anybody's health choices when facing a serious illness. I hope the straw provides the protection you need.

David Morgan seems to currently have a good supply of hemp in sizes 56-61.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thank you, gentlement, I knew this would be the right place to ask.
One Akubra Balmoral from David Morgan is headed my way.
With some sun screen and a hat I think I'll be okay, just try and stay out of the sun when it's really beating down.
The joys of Swedish genes!
The Balmoral is a solid investment in my experience.

All the best to you - I hope that stuff goes away and stays gone.

The Shoe

One Too Many
With some sun screen and a hat I think I'll be okay, just try and stay out of the sun when it's really beating down.
The Akubra Range is, I believe, the same hat as the Balmoral, but with a bigger brim.
I was wearing mine a couple of days ago.
IMG_0493.jpeg

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
The Akubra Range is, I believe, the same hat as the Balmoral, but with a bigger brim.
I was wearing mine a couple of days ago.
View attachment 533322
Sorry, my last post was not quite accurate. The Range is described in this video as the big brother of the Balmoral, same shape, bigger brim, but there are other differences. The Range has ventilation in the crown and a puggaree rather than a leather band.

Happy

New in Town
Is there a preferred product to place inside sweatband to help a hat fit just a little better?
I see various types of foam and David Morgan has a white "felt" of some sort. Is one much better than the other?

In years gone by I've used playing cards and paper towel with varying degrees of success. I would like a step up in fit as well as product longevity.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Is there a preferred product to place inside sweatband to help a hat fit just a little better?
I see various types of foam and David Morgan has a white "felt" of some sort. Is one much better than the other?

In years gone by I've used playing cards and paper towel with varying degrees of success. I would like a step up in fit as well as product longevity.
I wouldn't recommend paper towels, but whatever suits you best is good.

Cork or felt works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner