Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milandro

A-List Customer
I am going to add a picture to clarify. Once you are on the thread ( you can search for threads too) you click on it, a search a box opens , on the right hand side ,there is a scroll menu with these 4 options , you can refine that search further by searching for member name (for example yourself if you've lost your post and trying to retrieve it)

1692215968695.png

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
This one just popped up on a local marketplace. The seller says ‘50s. It’s made in the States, not Japan like modern Knox hats, so I gather that it’s certainly pre-1980s. I have no reason to suspect the seller’s dating is wrong, but would love to hear from those more knowledgeable than me. It’s a sensible price (rare for a brand name hat over here), so I’m quite tempted to pull the trigger on this one.
IMG_0791.jpeg
IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg

This one just popped up on a local marketplace. The seller says ‘50s. It’s made in the States, not Japan like modern Knox hats, so I gather that it’s certainly pre-1980s. I have no reason to suspect the seller’s dating is wrong, but would love to hear from those more knowledgeable than me. It’s a sensible price (rare for a brand name hat over here), so I’m quite tempted to pull the trigger on this one. View attachment 541214 View attachment 541215 View attachment 541216
Others may have more insite… but I see nothing to suggest the sellers estimate is incorrect. Styling along with the sweat and reeding style seem to fit a 1950s hat.…. Possibly extending a year or two on either side. Most importantly…. It looks like a great hat for you, Gary. Enjoy.

This one just popped up on a local marketplace. The seller says ‘50s. It’s made in the States, not Japan like modern Knox hats, so I gather that it’s certainly pre-1980s. I have no reason to suspect the seller’s dating is wrong, but would love to hear from those more knowledgeable than me. It’s a sensible price (rare for a brand name hat over here), so I’m quite tempted to pull the trigger on this one. View attachment 541214 View attachment 541215 View attachment 541216

The dating is certainly of that era I would say. I have a hat coming from that same store!

81732865-A845-4043-8BA6-F705FB283B63.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Others may have more insite… but I see nothing to suggest the sellers estimate is incorrect. Styling along with the sweat and reeding style seem to fit a 1950s hat.…. Possibly extending a year or two on either side. Most importantly…. It looks like a great hat for you, Gary. Enjoy.

The dating is certainly of that era I would say. I have a hat coming from that same store!

View attachment 541383
Thanks guys. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. It’ll be interesting to see what it’s like. The seller said no obvious signs of wear, but the pug looks a little soiled to me. That said , I really like the look of the pug. It’s also listed as grey.

Streak

New in Town
My collection is beginning to grow. I just took delivery of the Akubra Rough Rider in Loden to go with my Tablelands in Brown Olive and my Blue Mountains in Bluegrass. There may even be a Federation IV coming soon too.
Up until now I have been using old mesh routers to balance the hats on and they work quite well for the job, not allowing the hats to rest on their brims.
What would a more elegant hat stand solution be? I do have some wall space where I could put something up.
Thanks.

20230824_111714.jpg

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
My collection is beginning to grow. I just took delivery of the Akubra Rough Rider in Loden to go with my Tablelands in Brown Olive and my Blue Mountains in Bluegrass. There may even be a Federation IV coming soon too.
Up until now I have been using old mesh routers to balance the hats on and they work quite well for the job, not allowing the hats to rest on their brims.
What would a more elegant hat stand solution be? I do have some wall space where I could put something up.
Thanks.

View attachment 542356

Thanks.

View attachment 542356
The risk of leaving hats out uncovered, especially if you have a forced air heating system, is they are dust magnets. I store mine in boxes away from the dust.

milandro

A-List Customer
Moths are more likely to affect clothes AND hats if they are kept closed in a box or a cupboard then if they are kept in the light. True dust will affect your hats BUT you can dust them off. I too have winter hats and summer hats (for the most part) in cupboards and in boxes ( they are just too many to have them all on a shelf and some I really use very occasionally) but I have a brush at hand and give them the occasional dust off (which I believe is healthy anyway).

https://www.organizedinteriors.com/...oths don't like,nesting spots for the insects

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/how-to-get-rid-of-clothes-moths/.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ironic that moths in the dark seek lights but in the daylight they hide.

I agree with your first sentence regarding the effect of moths inside a closed dark hatbox or cupboard but would propose most moths did their business on the hat prior, in the open, probably at night, out of the box.
I have a hard time believing a moth finds a box and negotiates the pathway into a hidden felt hat. Probably happens but i bet most find them at night in the open then we seal them up in a box for their future buffet.
B

Moths are more likely to affect clothes AND hats if they are kept closed in a box or a cupboard then if they are kept in the light. True dust will affect your hats BUT you can dust them off. I too have winter hats and summer hats (for the most part) in cupboards and in boxes ( they are just too many to have them all on a shelf and some I really use very occasionally) but I have a brush at hand and give them the occasional dust off (which I believe is healthy anyway).

https://www.organizedinteriors.com/blog/clothing-moths/#:~:text=Clothes moths don't like,nesting spots for the insects

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/how-to-get-rid-of-clothes-moths/.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
looking for a lightweight spring jacket, would cotton lining be fine? i wanted a bomber style coat but would having a fur trim around the cuffs, waste, and collar look stupid? should i go for a knit/ribbon trim?

milandro

A-List Customer
Dial-up was faster. It would be nice if a bartender could explain what was going on.
Indeed, yesterday acces was impossible. It is not so much a question of " speed" it was not available at all.

There has to be some server problem. I am not privy to know who Bartender is ( I suppose this to be the monicker of the forum owner or someone who is close to the engine room) .

Indeed, yesterday acces was impossible. It is not so much a question of " speed" it was not available at all.

There has to be some server problem. I am not privy to know who Bartender is ( I suppose this to be the monicker of the forum owner or someone who is close to the engine room) .

The moderators of this site are called bartenders. You’ll see that in under their names like you will “One of the Regulars” or “I’ll lock up” etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy