Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Turning to all of you experts (which I definitely am not) for some info and advice. About 25 years ago, while vacationing in the Pacific Northwest, I hit every antique store I could find on a fedora-buying binge. As I recall, that two-week trip netted me about a dozen. I still have a number of them, but storage space is becoming an issue, and I’ve never really bonded with this one. I’m therefore planning to sell it, but really have NO idea what I’ve got. All I know for sure is that Blain Clothing in Albany operated from 1892 to 1976. I don’t recall ever seeing a similar Stetson with a matching felt hatband, and I’m suspicious of the slightly askew fastening of said band. I’ve also never seen initials perforated in a headband. The only other significant thing I can add is that there are a couple of sponge inserts behind the headband. It appears they could be readily removed, but would likely leave some sticky residue. Anything you good people can offer as to narrowing the vintage, and GENERAL idea of worth, would be awesome. I am now in your hands!

Attachments

• Stetson RD 1.jpg
    Stetson RD 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • Stetson RD 2.jpg
    Stetson RD 2.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Stetson RD 3.jpg
    Stetson RD 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Stetson RD lining.jpg
    Stetson RD lining.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • Stetson RD hat band.jpg
    Stetson RD hat band.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • Stetson ED band 1.jpg
    Stetson ED band 1.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 52
  • Stetson RD band 2.jpg
    Stetson RD band 2.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Stetson ED band 3.jpg
    Stetson ED band 3.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 46
Turning to all of you experts (which I definitely am not) for some info and advice. About 25 years ago, while vacationing in the Pacific Northwest, I hit every antique store I could find on a fedora-buying binge. As I recall, that two-week trip netted me about a dozen. I still have a number of them, but storage space is becoming an issue, and I’ve never really bonded with this one. I’m therefore planning to sell it, but really have NO idea what I’ve got. All I know for sure is that Blain Clothing in Albany operated from 1892 to 1976. I don’t recall ever seeing a similar Stetson with a matching felt hatband, and I’m suspicious of the slightly askew fastening of said band. I’ve also never seen initials perforated in a headband. The only other significant thing I can add is that there are a couple of sponge inserts behind the headband. It appears they could be readily removed, but would likely leave some sticky residue. Anything you good people can offer as to narrowing the vintage, and GENERAL idea of worth, would be awesome. I am now in your hands!

Though not as common… I do think I have seen Stetson do some of the self felted thin ribbon designs.. if memory serves… Eric @Short Balding Guy may have something similar in his Stetson Casual.

Here's a Stetson 3X Suede Finish with a felted ribbon. This one's mid 50s, as well.

20230517_073016.jpg
20230517_095251.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Do we have a baseball cap thread around here? What about doo rags? Or should I just start a trend for wearing hats and caps a size too big?

Lew Decker

New in Town
I have an old, beat up, stained and misshapen beaver fedora that I think would benefit from a cleaning, new ribbon, sweat band etc. is there someone out in the fedoraverse that is generally agreed to be good at this? Much appreciated. I think I coined a new phrase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff