Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Mind if I jump in with a question or two?
I'm needing to replace the wind trolly on my Borsolino. I'm having a hard time finding one. Any good retailers y'all could point me to?

Scott at FineVintageFedoras on Etsy often has some available, but no guarantee he'll have your colr. He's also a member here.

Hi y’all. Do any of yall know where to get a pugaree? I’m looking for something colorful maybe in a pattern you might see in the fifties. I’ve seen some in Google searches but nothing strikes my fancy. I wouldn’t think they’re hard to make from the right fabric.

I’ve got an old black Stetson Panama I want to restore.

We're lucky enough here to have a local hat shop that carries pugs, but as above try Etsy.

Hi y’all. Do any of yall know where to get a pugaree? I’m looking for something colorful maybe in a pattern you might see in the fifties. I’ve seen some in Google searches but nothing strikes my fancy. I wouldn’t think they’re hard to make from the right fabric.

https://www.sye.com/millinery-supplies/zoria-hats-supplies-puggaree-hat-bands.asp

I’ve bought a couple dozen from them and I’ve been impressed.

I make my own out of vintage silk ties....except I don't like the tapered ends of the pugaree so I treat it like a standard ribbon, the same width all the way around and then join it with a 'keeper' to hide the seam (no bow). I generally do 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" with two pleats.

VoodooSan

Practically Family

Village Hat Shop has both a vast variety of solid colors, and a few patterns: https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all/451139-130123/paisley-3-pleat-puggaree-hat-band.html

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I've bought a couple from Mike at Northwest Hats.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have one made from a silk tie. They seem to work very well.

20200108_094655.jpg 20240210_211023.jpg

Sean66

New in Town
Hi everyone,
This may be a dumb question, but what’s the difference between a mid and long oval in terms of fit?
I have an OR 7 1/4 regular oval that fits a bit snug and was wondering if a mid oval might fit better.
Thanks,
Sean

Hi everyone,
This may be a dumb question, but what’s the difference between a mid and long oval in terms of fit?
I have an OR 7 1/4 regular oval that fits a bit snug and was wondering if a mid oval might fit better.
Thanks,
Sean
I have never heard of a mid oval. I have either long oval and regular oval blocks. Where are the 'snug' points?....front & back or side to side?

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Could someone please tell me what time frame this Knox hat is? I'm thinking late 1930s to early 1940s.

Attachments

• knox hat pic 5.jpg
    knox hat pic 5.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 21
  • knox hat pic 6.jpg
    knox hat pic 6.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
  • knox hat pic 7.jpg
    knox hat pic 7.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 25
  • knox hat pic 14.jpg
    knox hat pic 14.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
  • knox hat pic 13.jpg
    knox hat pic 13.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 27
  • knox hat pic 12.jpg
    knox hat pic 12.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 25
  • knox hat pic 11.jpg
    knox hat pic 11.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 26
  • knox hat pic 4.jpg
    knox hat pic 4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 24
  • knox hat pic 3.jpg
    knox hat pic 3.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 23
  • knox hat pic 9.jpg
    knox hat pic 9.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 19
Could someone please tell me what time frame this Knox hat is? I'm thinking late 1930s to early 1940s.

1950s and probably local to me originally.

1708010880567.jpeg

From Brad Bowers:

1950s Factory Label
The decade of the 1950s saw the standardized factory labels change again as new printing equipment was put into use. These labels were used across all of Hat Corporation of America’s lines until sometime after 1960, when the label changed slightly. Exactly when these were first used is unknown, but they used on OPS marked hats (see below for OPS information), and thus circa-1950 is a reasonable estimate.

50slabel.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24