Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CowboyCob

New in Town
Can anyone help finding the manufacture date of my Stetson Open Road? Found it on eBay and I’m curious. I’m certain it’s not vintage, but I’m wondering what decade, roughly.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0915.jpeg
    IMG_0915.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
I’m all but certain that they have more than one blend. They also have nutria blends, chinchilla blends, etc.
They do use nutria for blending for Stratton hats not offering 100% any longer. From custom hatters I have only ever seen them offer the 50/50 blend, then the mink & chinchilla blends that have 4 or 5 stray mink or chinchilla hairs in the blend.

They do use nutria for blending for Stratton hats not offering 100% any longer. From custom hatters I have only ever seen them offer the 50/50 blend, then the mink & chinchilla blends that have 4 or 5 stray mink or chinchilla hairs in the blend.

I seem to remember a custom hatter offered me a blend with less than 50% beaver. It’s been a while so???

MikeP

New in Town
I have several Stratton straws, a uniform rabbit (I’m guessing) a pure beaver all western from Stratton and they a fit me perfectly. Prices have gone up so I’m looking at the blend for what may be my last purchase.
Hence my interest in the blend. I appreciate the input.

I have several Stratton straws, a uniform rabbit (I’m guessing) a pure beaver all western from Stratton and they a fit me perfectly. Prices have gone up so I’m looking at the blend for what may be my last purchase.
I really like my Winchester blends. A quite stiff western weight but it is hard to tell it apart from my pure beaver hats.

Aside for the uniform hats, we don’t see much of Stratton. I have one, a homburg, but they are not common. I’d love to see your pure beaver western if you don’t mind posting photos of it.

StoryPNW

One Too Many
I'm considering my next custom. I want to make a black BRE clone, but I haven't had to pleasure of handling an original. I'm thinking I want dress weight as I tend to prefer the lighter felts, but I was wondering were the originals a lighter or heavier felt?

I'm considering my next custom. I want to make a black BRE clone, but I haven't had to pleasure of handling an original. I'm thinking I want dress weight as I tend to prefer the lighter felts, but I was wondering were the originals a lighter or heavier felt?
Depending on the colour you choose, consider a Ukraine 160gr beaver. They are a great mid point between a soft malleable dress weight and the heavier/stiffer western weight.

I’d say somewhere in between…something like an early 1950s or earlier 3X. Definitely lighter than modern western felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn