Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bashing other's Bashes ???

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It was a very popular style, till about the time Gene Autry and Roy Rogers made their styles the dominant ones. The name "Gus" got attached more recently. :)

Mark G

A-List Customer
I haven't come across any photos of the "Gus/Tom Mix" crease before the turn of the century (1900 not 2000). Steve McQueen wore this block in "Tom Horn". Most of the photos I've seen from pre 1900 are hats with open crowns with creases that came from whatever they were doing at the time. Some of it also had to do with the region they came from. Cold and windy vs. hot and dry.

Demanding absolute accuracy in every statement. There are always people that are nit pickers. When you have a group that is passionate about a subject get together, it seems that then is when the nit pickers congregate and their passion and focus will come to a zenith. That is when the zeal to stamp out all untruth's can get ugly. It is a mob mentality and the true believers need for purity come together. Watch out!:eusa_doh:

Also, one thing is that we may be writing tounge in cheek and coming up with witty repartee, but as written word these remarks can be read and felt as stinging rebuke or crushing in their effect. It has happened to me and I have done it to others. In a conversation at the QM last November, I spoke with Senator Jack and we both agreed that in person, face to face, we are able to communicate better and can disagree with out it becoming difficult, as a matter of fact it can actually be friendly. Some how when writing it can be written with a light heart and received as a staggering sledgehammer blow.

That is why a response should not be written in the greatest haste and one should take the time to say how will this be received. Also the emoticons can be some what helpful, especially with the tounge in cheek stuff so it is not taken at face value.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mark G said:
I haven't come across any photos of the "Gus/Tom Mix" crease before the turn of the century (1900 not 2000). Steve McQueen wore this block in "Tom Horn". Most of the photos I've seen from pre 1900 are hats with open crowns with creases that came from whatever they were doing at the time. Some of it also had to do with the region they came from. Cold and windy vs. hot and dry.

Mark, There is a fascinating collection of photographs at the "Boot Hill Museum" in Dodge City, Kansas. Cowboys wanted their portraits made, wearing their hats, at the end of the drive. They are pushed back, a bit, so the faces will show better; but you can still tell that none of them really look like anything that has shown up in most twentieth century movies. By the time they got rained on, stomped on, washed, dunked in rainbarrels or watering troughs, and reshaped to the owners taste...the most common shape seems to have been whatever the hat wanted to do. They tend to impress us, today, as somewhat "shapeless." But they sure were clean! :)

Mark G

A-List Customer
JT, I agree, I haven't seen anything in the movies that resembles the real photos of the period and from what I've seen at museums like the Autry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24