Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff jacket appraisal

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Hello

As stated on other areas of this forum , I was the Canadian Aerial Coordinadter for the Amelia Earhart movie coming out next year.
One of my other duties was to be the Flying double for the star of the movie.
The Prod. Company hired Belstaff to recreate all of the leather flying clothing and a 1920's flying jacket was made for me to wear on camera.
At the end of filming, I was able to obtain this jacket and the leather flying helmet.
Question, what would be the appraisal value of this item ?
It comes with a letter of authenticity and if the Star was to win an Academy Award, would this increase it's value?

Thanks

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
I have no clue as to value, but I would love to see a photo, if that's possible.

The jacket is a brown leather mid thigh length exactly the same as the one worn by the real Amelia Earhart in early publicity photos.
It is made to my measurements but feels a bit tight on me.
A point of interest, A.E. designed much of her flight clothing and regular clothing. She also had a luggage line that continued to made into the 1970's.

I'll take some pics and post them this w/end

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
fleet16b said:
Question, what would be the appraisal value of this item ?
It comes with a letter of authenticity and if the Star was to win an Academy Award, would this increase it's value?
It's difficult to estimate the added value that the provenance of your jacket would bring. A lot will depend on the popularity of the movie. It would fetch a premium to be sure but certainly nowhere near the price that the star's jacket would bring.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
YOu could always leave it outside for a while and drag it behind your car for a few miles, then sell it as her real jacket. of course, then you would have to explain how you got it when she has never been found. Might cast some serious suspicion on you.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:
YOu could always leave it outside for a while and drag it behind your car for a few miles, then sell it as her real jacket. of course, then you would have to explain how you got it when she has never been found. Might cast some serious suspicion on you.

Good one lol lol :eusa_clap

In reality , it has has been given a "specially distressed" look by Belstaff.

Feraud

Bartender
"Letters of Authenticity" are easy to fake.
For future resale value, you need to establish proper documentation that states you were hired as the flying double and used this equipment. Info from Belstaff stating this equipment was made for the movie should be included too.
Photo documentation (of you wearing this equipment during filming) to go along with it will help.

I don't think an Academy Award (is the film that good?) to the star will increase a prop value worn by a stunt double. The jacket and helmet in question are not the "hero" versions.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
"Letters of Authenticity" are easy to fake.
For future resale value, you need to establish proper documentation that states you were hired as the flying double and used this equipment. Info from Belstaff stating this equipment was made for the movie should be included too.
Photo documentation (of you wearing this equipment during filming) to go along with it will help.

I don't think an Academy Award (is the film that good?) to the star will increase a prop value worn by a stunt double. The jacket and helmet in question are not the "hero" versions.

All of the above have been done and I agree with you about the "hero" jacket.
All "hero" items at present are being retained for now.

As for the film, yes it has been well done. As well as Aerial Coordinatior, as an aviation historian , I was also advisor to wardrobe and to all aviation aspects of the film The movie stars 2 time Oscar winner Hilary Swank , supported by Richard Gere and Ewen McGregor.
It is said to be her attempt at an Oscar "hat trick" but ofcourse this could just be hollywood hype.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21