Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
4432598244_004fe3f405_o.jpg

4431826705_4a2aa51852_o.jpg

lol LOVE THE DAD!!!

4340292691_757e40b0fe_o.jpg

4424485399_d9b156015c_o.jpg

4433975388_51b9e947f3_o.jpg

PrettyPaula

New in Town
Inky said:
I found this on someone else's blog so if it belongs to someone from here, my apologies, but this "everyday" woman is too fantastic not to post.

11-17-1942, San Francisco PD Mugshot of "Tanya Williams."

3988044563_4030a9f556_o.jpg

and thanks to Blondie - more about Ms. Williams found here.

Seems she is an "entertainer" and due to new "blue laws" in San Francisco, she was working at the Melody Lane club and she and the club manager were arrested for putting on an "indecent show."

I love the internet!

does this woman remind anyone else of Lady GAGA?

lady-gaga-poker-face--large-msg-125176769085.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
No typo. She's from the 1932 edition of the Philadelphia High School For Girls' yearbook. Apparently, she was a minor celebrity in the baseball world.

There's always that ONE GIRL in my vintage yearbooks that has her hair slicked back, has on a suit jacket, and is into sports. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
No typo. She's from the 1932 edition of the Philadelphia High School For Girls' yearbook. Apparently, she was a minor celebrity in the baseball world.

There's always that ONE GIRL in my vintage yearbooks that has her hair slicked back, has on a suit jacket, and is into sports. ;)
I know the type - I dated one in high school (except for the jacket). But even today they often follow stereotype. I imagine in the 30s, the image was purposeful and the message clear.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:

http://www.philadelphiaathletics.org/event/houghton.html

The first female scout for a major league team, in fact -- very impressive! Evidently she was alive and well and still scouting well into the 1990s -- she'd be 98 if she were still alive, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was.

(Of course, we all know no woman ever did anything interesting in her life until the 1960s.)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I love the above pic too! Love pics of lots of girls together. :)

Infact, that made me laugh because the tall girl (like me) is the one with the short dress and it looks like she's thinking 'Oh MAN, why do they never make anything LONG enough!!!' lol.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Sorta off topic, but what I've noticed from my daughters last 2 sports banquets (soccer & tennis) is that they are very girly in dress and demeanor when not playing.
Mine is one of the very girly ones lol
Amy Jeanne said:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Regular fans of Shorpy might already know Lynn Massman, but for those of you who don't, here she is -- a working-class wartime housewife, married to a Navy petty-officer, and raising a year-old son.

lynn.jpg

Apologies for the giant size, but I love every detail of this pic -- the cramped kitchen, the kid stowed on the table, the rumpled hair, and most of all, the saddle shoes. This is what real life really looked like.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Smuterella said:
Here we all are, obsessing about skirt length, and look how short hers is. Fabulous picture.

People often forget that due to wartime fabric restrictions, skirt lengths in 1943-44 were the shortest they'd been since 1928.

I'm pretty sure this is a homemade dress -- note the indifferent alignment of the plaid on the side seam -- and I doubt she used more than 3 1/2 yards to make it. I'd like to find the pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran