Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in Jackson Mississippi?

JoshD

New in Town
I live in Mississippi and make frequent trips to Jackson. I am wanting a Indy style fedora. I would love to buy it from a retailer.

Does anybody know a few good places around the Magnolia State Capital to buy a good fedora?

Thanks

Josh

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I've only come up with 2 in Jackson
"Hat World"-601 353-2241
"Hats & More by Chris"-601 362-3032
Best I can do for you but I'm sure if you go on the Ask A Question thread someone there will definitely be of more help to you

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Depending on how "screen accurate" you want your Indy hat to be, buying it in a retail store is maybe not an option.

If you just want something that has an Indy "vibe" going on, something like the Stetson Temple (formerly the licensed Indiana Jones hat until they moved the license to Dorfman Pacific), would fit the bill. I'd imagine there's a modern Borsalino which would come close as well. Certainly a new ribbon and a brim trim on say, a Borso Alessandria, could definitely be very close to an Indy hat. I would stay away from Dorfman's licensed offerings. The wool will not last you very long, and the fur felt is way overpriced for what it is.

But if you really want to be specific about the tall, straight sided crown, dimensional brim, and ribbon, that kind of hat is not produced by any modern manufacturer that I know of, aside from the Akubra Federation which is exclusive to hatsdirect.com and their physical store in Katoomba, Australia.

Other options to consider:
The Henry, from Adventurebilt hats.
Christy's offers the Adventurer and the Swerford, and they make good Indy hats, although Christy's felt is not very durable as other offerings. The Adventurer has a bit of a taller crown, so they created the Swerford as an option that would better suit folks who prefer a slightly shorter (though still tall by today's standards) crown.
The aforementioned Akubra Federation IV from HatsDirect.com
Peter Bro's Hats offers a customized Borsalino, done up in Indy specifications, as well as their own custom made version.

And there are plenty of custom hatters who exclusively make, specialize in, or otherwise sell a handsome Indy lid. Among them, Penman Hats, Garrison Hatters, Steele & Jones, etc.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I don't think it's in Jackson, but isn't Adventurebilt based in Mississippi? Granted, the prices are high, but people who make new orders have been getting theirs quite expediently.

JoshD

New in Town
Wow!! thanks for the replies!!

Indyish is what I am going for. A little more slope to the crown and not quite so high. (I already have a long face)

I am mainly wondering about quality hatters in the area.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Depending on how "screen accurate" you want your Indy hat to be, buying it in a retail store is maybe not an option.

If you just want something that has an Indy "vibe" going on, something like the Stetson Temple (formerly the licensed Indiana Jones hat until they moved the license to Dorfman Pacific), would fit the bill. I'd imagine there's a modern Borsalino which would come close as well. Certainly a new ribbon and a brim trim on say, a Borso Alessandria, could definitely be very close to an Indy hat. I would stay away from Dorfman's licensed offerings. The wool will not last you very long, and the fur felt is way overpriced for what it is.

But if you really want to be specific about the tall, straight sided crown, dimensional brim, and ribbon, that kind of hat is not produced by any modern manufacturer that I know of, aside from the Akubra Federation which is exclusive to hatsdirect.com and their physical store in Katoomba, Australia.

Other options to consider:
The Henry, from Adventurebilt hats.
Christy's offers the Adventurer and the Swerford, and they make good Indy hats, although Christy's felt is not very durable as other offerings. The Adventurer has a bit of a taller crown, so they created the Swerford as an option that would better suit folks who prefer a slightly shorter (though still tall by today's standards) crown.
The aforementioned Akubra Federation IV from HatsDirect.com
Peter Bro's Hats offers a customized Borsalino, done up in Indy specifications, as well as their own custom made version.

And there are plenty of custom hatters who exclusively make, specialize in, or otherwise sell a handsome Indy lid. Among them, Penman Hats, Garrison Hatters, Steele & Jones, etc.
Hey J Lee just a quick question,when you mentioned the licensed Dorfman are they not supposedly "Indy"correct hats in different grades?and yes their Beavers are well over priced.

JoshD

New in Town
Ok, Adventurebilt looks absolutely fantastic!!!!! I love you look!!!! Breathtaking!!! And I am excited to hear about the new Indy film staring their hats.

But, unfortunately they are a little out of the budget. If I win the lottery they will be my first place to stop. (after the bank to pay off the house)

I was looking for a nice Indy inspired fedora, it doesn't have to be licensed or anything. But, I would like to go to a brick and mortar so I can try it on and look in the mirror.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hey J Lee just a quick question,when you mentioned the licensed Dorfman are they not supposedly "Indy"correct hats in different grades?and yes their Beavers are well over priced.

I mean, it's an Indy hat in as far as it's brown and has a brown ribbon. It captures an Indy "vibe" definitely. But it is not what purists could consider "screen accurate." First it has the blocked in crease, which never gets the pinch right (this is especially true for the "Raiders" hat), and some of them have a teardrop crease, when Indy's was always a center dent. It also lacks the dimensional brim (the "correct" dimensions, in as far as the Indy gearheads have surmised are 2.75" by 2.5" on the sides), and should be about 5 1/2" open crown (4.5" creased height at the front), center dent crease, 1 1/2 dark brown ribbon. If you want to be really specific, the "Raiders" hat had a idiosyncratic "flying V" bow too, which Mr. Penman duplicates.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I mean, it's an Indy hat in as far as it's brown and has a brown ribbon. It captures an Indy "vibe" definitely. But it is not what purists could consider "screen accurate." First it has the blocked in crease, which never gets the pinch right (this is especially true for the "Raiders" hat), and some of them have a teardrop crease, when Indy's was always a center dent. It also lacks the dimensional brim (the "correct" dimensions, in as far as the Indy gearheads have surmised are 2.75" by 2.5" on the sides), and should be about 5 1/2" open crown (4.5" creased height at the front), center dent crease, 1 1/2 dark brown ribbon. If you want to be really specific, the "Raiders" hat had a idiosyncratic "flying V" bow too, which Mr. Penman duplicates.
Thanks for the reply Jared,appreciate it one never learns if they don't ask IMHO.

JoshD

New in Town

Mulceber

Practically Family
I don't want to get into a huge discussion about Adventurebilt (especially since JoshD has already said they're out of his price range), but supposedly the people who've ordered lately have had pretty short wait times - BruceWayne ordered sometime in September and had it by the end of October. -M

JoshD

New in Town
I don't want to get into a huge discussion about Adventurebilt (especially since JoshD has already said they're out of his price range), but supposedly the people who've ordered lately have had pretty short wait times - BruceWayne ordered sometime in September and had it by the end of October. -M

Y'all have me drooling over Adventurebilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner