Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat's in Manhattan

TomMason

New in Town
I'm in NY City for two weeks on a business trip. Even thought I am staying in one of the nicer areas - Beekman Place I have not seen that many hats.

However last night I was treated to a feast for the eyes of a classical hat lover - we went to see The Light in the Piazza at Linclon Center. The musical takes places in Italy circa 1948. There were at least a half-dozen wonderful Borsolinos. One of the characters is a clothing spot owner. See it!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Manhattan Hat Report

Hello Tom,

1. Just returned four day family
trip to NYC fedoras were few & far
between.

2. Suggest you try Young's Hats
@ Nassau Street two blocks east
of Ground Zero. Here's a pic I just
took of their front window.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/pthorson/IMG_0092.jpg

3. Took this pic of this gent in fedora
outside NY Stock Exchange. This was
probably the best fedora I saw while there.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/pthorson/IMG_0091.jpg

Peter :cool:

PS Let us know if you make it to "Young's"?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Or journey to South Williamsburg in Brooklyn. Lots of men sporting wide-brimmed black lids there, for some strange reason.

Muddy Flats, Washington ain't Midtown Manhattan, but it appears that fedoras are more popular among the rubes out here than the sophisticates in NYC. I was one of three guys in hats waiting in line at the post office yesterday afternoon. (The other two lids were well-worn, beat-up old things. One had even lost its ribbon somewhere along the way, but at least it kept the rain off its wearer's spectacles.) At the supermarket a half hour later I spotted a middle-aged guy in a lid of vaguely Aussie appearance--not a dress hat, but at least a fur felt with a proper brim; and an old fellow wearing one of those tweedy cloth jobs with an approximately 1 3/4-inch brim.
For whatever it's worth: women seem likelier than men to comment on my lids. The cashier at the Home Depot said "pretty hat" in reference to my ('50s-vintage, probably) Open Road, which has seen regular use of late. And the woman at the Safeway deli said her departed Daddy used to wear one just like it. She even used the proper terminology in noting its narrow ribbon and relatively wide brim. Perhaps women are more attuned. Just one more reason to love 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart