Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chris McCollum

New in Town
My daughter is making those for her millennial friends! She says they're "millennial hats". (what does she know, right?). If you want her contact info, LMK and I'll connect you. She seems to make a lot of larger sizes 7 5/8_to size 8. I guess millennials have bigger heads?!??

Millenial hats? Damn....you may have tainted it for me! :) I'd love her info! Please send it out however you choose. Feel free to message or text me directly. 214-284-sevenfourthreenine

smithandwesson28

New in Town
Hi all! I am a brand new member here! I like hats and have a few, including an estimated 1930's Stetson open road that was passed down to me. Some of my other hobbies are shooting, hunting, fishing, and golfing. It seems that you have a nice community going here so I hope I can find someone with an answer to my question.

I am taking a trip to Vegas soon (like, days away soon). We will be spending 4 days in Vegas and 4 days road tripping around the grand canyon and route 66. I have wanted to get a hat for the hot weather/sun before we left but it may be too late for that now ( I may just have to use a boonie hat), so I hope to get one while we are there or just for use at home when we get back. I know the general thing about going out west and getting hats is that you get a cowboy hat. The thing is, I am a southerner, 100%. As most know, the cowboy hat as seen in westerns is not truly a "southern" hat. I know that this does not matter much these days. You see cowboy hats everywhere, but I wanted to get a true southern hat instead. When I have tried to research what hats southerners wore historically/traditionally, I do not get much other that pictures of civil war hats. I thought that I had known in the past that a "gambler" style hat was more southern than a more traditional western hat. I am looking for a fairly wide brim, all the way around that protects the ears well. Most likely straw as It will be used for outdoor activities in the hot, muggy weather when I get back and in the desert while I am there (if I get one in time). If anyone can provide me with any info on the history of hats in the south, particularly Georgia, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Hi all! I am a brand new member here! I like hats and have a few, including an estimated 1930's Stetson open road that was passed down to me. Some of my other hobbies are shooting, hunting, fishing, and golfing. It seems that you have a nice community going here so I hope I can find someone with an answer to my question.

I am taking a trip to Vegas soon (like, days away soon). We will be spending 4 days in Vegas and 4 days road tripping around the grand canyon and route 66. I have wanted to get a hat for the hot weather/sun before we left but it may be too late for that now ( I may just have to use a boonie hat), so I hope to get one while we are there or just for use at home when we get back. I know the general thing about going out west and getting hats is that you get a cowboy hat. The thing is, I am a southerner, 100%. As most know, the cowboy hat as seen in westerns is not truly a "southern" hat. I know that this does not matter much these days. You see cowboy hats everywhere, but I wanted to get a true southern hat instead. When I have tried to research what hats southerners wore historically/traditionally, I do not get much other that pictures of civil war hats. I thought that I had known in the past that a "gambler" style hat was more southern than a more traditional western hat. I am looking for a fairly wide brim, all the way around that protects the ears well. Most likely straw as It will be used for outdoor activities in the hot, muggy weather when I get back and in the desert while I am there (if I get one in time). If anyone can provide me with any info on the history of hats in the south, particularly Georgia, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!
I'm not sure how much of a help I'll be, but I can tell you that from my experiences in growing up in Louisiana, typical southern hats were basically cowboy hats. There's been some discussion on here before about the differences between westerns and cowboys. My opinion is that cowboy hats tend to usually have a cattleman crown, with a wide and shaped brim. I know they aren't necessarily limited to being just that, and there can be some crossover with westerns as well. I believe that more styles can fall under the umbrella of being western, i.e. gamblers, bowlers, homburgs, fedoras, etc. Many of these styles may have originated in other places, but have also been found in western styles. I was recently in Arizona and visited a hat shop in Scottsdale. I would have considered most (but not all) of the hats there to be western influenced. Most had either fedora or cattleman crowns, but they offered other styles as well. Cowboy hats are common in the west as well. Good luck in your search. I am sure you will find the answers you seek here. The knowledge of the loungers here far supercede what I have to offer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I should probably add that I grew up in northern Louisiana, which had a lot of Texas influence. That could be the reason why cowboy hats were as common as they were. I can't necessarily speak for Georgia or other parts of the "deep South."

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Take a look at the Akubra Planter:

https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1/products/planter

Stetson has theGambler, Muldoon, and Brentwood.

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/s19stetsonoutdoor.pdf

I don’t have any personal experience with any of these hats, but I have two hemp Akubras and I find them to be rugged and good looking though not as refined as a Panama hat.

Speaking of Panama hats, they’re as southern as seersucker suits and 95% humidity. Maybe a plantation style?

https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/shop/styles.php

Good luck.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Yep, as a historical Western enthusiast, an active "natural" horseman, a Cowboy Action Shooter, and custom hat maker to that genre, I can safely say that their was a wide variety of hat styles worn after the Civil War. You can find photos on line from that era (and catalog pages here in the Lounge) to give you a really solid idea of just how wide the array of hats was during the expansion of the West.

If you need more info, feel free to pm me here and we can chat. Have fun in your research!!! ;)

smithandwesson28

New in Town
Take a look at the Akubra Planter:

https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1/products/planter

Stetson has theGambler, Muldoon, and Brentwood.

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/s19stetsonoutdoor.pdf

I don’t have any personal experience with any of these hats, but I have two hemp Akubras and I find them to be rugged and good looking though not as refined as a Panama hat.

Speaking of Panama hats, they’re as southern as seersucker suits and 95% humidity. Maybe a plantation style?

https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/shop/styles.php

Good luck.
I like the looks of the Stetson Brentwood. It looks like they will not come out until spring of next year though. I will keep an eye on it.

Sorry. Did you check out the spring 2018 catalog?

http://www.hat-co.com/public

I like the looks of the Stetson Brentwood. It looks like they will not come out until spring of next year though. I will keep an eye on it.

Your user name makes me smile. The 28 is one of my favorites. All the old N-Frames are special. I have several 28s, including one my father carried as a his duty gun. The 38/44 HD is my go-to favorite.

Back to hats, you might find something used on eBay. The old Stetson Derringer is similar and shouldn’t cost too much (genuine Panama to boot).

smithandwesson28

New in Town
Your user name makes me smile. The 28 is one of my favorites. All the old N-Frames are special. I have several 28s, including one my father carried as a his duty gun. The 38/44 HD is my go-to favorite.

Back to hats, you might find something used on eBay. The old Stetson Derringer is similar and shouldn’t cost too much (genuine Panama to boot).
its funny that you mention that. 28 is actually an old football number of mine (although I would love to get my hands on an old model 28). I just love S&W in general, especially the revolvers. All of my handguns are S&W, and I carry a revolver (or two) every day.

its funny that you mention that. 28 is actually an old football number of mine (although I would love to get my hands on an old model 28). I just love S&W in general, especially the revolvers. All of my handguns are S&W, and I carry a revolver (or two) every day.

I’ve been carrying one Smith or another every day for close to 30 years.

Hats are expensive, but nowhere near vintage revolvers.

Welcome to the Lounge S&W! You can't go wrong with the advice you will find in abundance here. You are probably right about not having enough time before your trip. Who knows, you may run across the perfect hat in your travels. I'm not sure about hat stores in Vegas, someone here will probably chime in. There is nothing more southern than a fine panama! Plantation style would be nice. Stick around, and read, read, read. There is a thread for just about any question you could imagine. I would suggest using Google searches and adding "fedora lounge" to the search terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21