Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many Brits are here?

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
Just wondering how many of us Brits use this forum.

So form an orderly queue, shuffle your feet, and apologise profusely for being in front of the person behind!

Oh, and don't even think of starting a second line, as the one your NOT in, always moves faster lol

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
There's a few of us, but no where near the amount of Americans who are on here. I'm not sure whether that's just because we have a smaller population or whether there's just less interest in vintage style over here.

Where I live there are very few people who wear proper felt hats (fedoras, bowlers, homburgs) and those that do wear them are nearly always appear to be over retirement age. Then again in the East Midlands vintage style gets a lot of ridicule from young people, though I do receive some compliments.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Only recently joined myself,kept accidentally coming across the FL whilst googling hats,leather jackets and the like,started reading some threads and found some great advice on trimming a brim,(I have a Lock 'louisiana' I bought off ebay,not realising how 'quentin crisp' the brim was put it away in the fancy dress box,followed the advice on brim trimming and now it's one of my favourites),decided to register and am still trying to figure out the etiquette. Not sure if there are certain cliques,or if us and the yanks are 'divided,by our common language' but have found it hard to get any acknowledgements when attempting to get involved in any discussions.But will continue seeing as how I have a small collection of hats,leather jackets and vintage watches(7 of each strangely enough). would be cool though to get a thread going with others who talk about trilbies and know what it means!

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm a Brit, Manchester born and bred, but I've lived in various places abroad for the last 10 years or so. Currently in Germany.

Found a great ex-pat joint in Shanghai recently that serves freezing cold Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
Gorgeous!

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
Not sure if there are certain cliques,or if us and the yanks are 'divided,by our common language' but have found it hard to get any acknowledgements when attempting to get involved in any discussions.

That's sad to hear BH, but often it's pure perseverance and being genuinely interested in others that breaks down the walls. Each forum is different, but I'm sure all Mods want their forum to be friendly and inviting of newbies.

What got you into hats in the first place?

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Dragonaxe,kind of always have been,walking around B,ham city centre in a deerstalker when I was 16 got me a few strange looks,that was 1980,before that was into the twotone mod thing and wore one of those cheap porkpies, now it's Lock & co and vintage Dunn & co,you begin to appreciate the quality as you age.Oh,mines a very large talisker!

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
ok, I'm probably gonna sound really stupid now....but aren't Trilby's and Fedora's the same thing, just known by different names in Europe and the USA? :eek:

Yes,but there's a confusion,to us fedoras are the huge brimmed 'quentin crisp', 'oscar wilde' affairs,there's no such thing as a trilby in the u.s as far as I can work out,which for us describes the same style but with a smaller brim. Another confusion is that for most people over here a porkpie is again the same style but with a very small brim(stingy),whereas in the us porkpie describes the circular 'porkpie shape' of the top of the crown.'Divided by the same language'! Another Talisker please.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
it's a little emporium, vintage and new pretties, like a bomb's gone off in a boudoir is how i like to describe it. Although sadly, business isn't going great, so it might be back to the drawing board, not meaning to whinge or anything, but the trade has been appalling where i live for the last year, due to the recession and all. Still onward and upward.

Actually i doubt Ms Payne was every drunk in charge, probably too busy (and sensible) coining in the cash and the luncheon vouchers to have time for a snifter or two!! ;)

You can't be that far away from then, in the sunny garden of England?

I lived there for thirteen years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner