Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much of the stuff in your home was bought "new?"

BoPeep

Practically Family
My friends say things like, "I love your kitchen, but how can you live with that fridge?" My fridge is a 1947 Frigidaire "Made by General Motors" that we found at a rummage. It works like a dream although the freezer box ices up ridiculously fast. My sink is from the '30s - one large single tub with a drainboard on the side and 12-inch tall backsplash, faucets come out of the wall. New to the kitchen is our '40s Magic Chef gas stove. Thank you craigs!

The rest of the house is vintage '40s furniture from Grandma and such - couch, secretary, floor radio, Mission rocker, Mission armchair, sewing machine. Still looking for that vintage bedroom set, but pretty much have the downstairs in period decor.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Besides the consumables and the computers, very, very little! Even the modern things look old and we got them second or third hand.

I find a house with all new stuff in it to be depressing, like being in a hotel.

Ethan Bentley said:
I would say a least 80% of my books are used. Thank you Amazon Marketplace and my local charity bookshops.

For me that figure would be 90%. I buy most of my books at the local library sales and swap meets. There used to be a bookdealer at this antique mall that was near me (now defunct) who had some excellent books for $3 on average. For military history and aviation books I go to gun shows, militaria shows and a model kit collector's show that's held three times a year because there's usually somebody there blowing out books.

Edward

Bartender
Miss 1929 said:
I find a house with all new stuff in it to be depressing, like being in a hotel.

What I tend to find is that all overtly contemporary looks seem to be at their best with minimalism..... I'm a hoarder, and a clutterer. I'm trying to improve that, but really my natural tendencies just work better with something older-style (arguably, given my tendency towards clutter, I could deal well with Victorian style.... lol).

As I'm sure I've said before, my ideal would be something close to Poirot's apartment, but for now the size of my flat and need for optimum storage means I have to compromise and go for something modular from Ikea. Rest assured, though, that it will be the oak-look stuff from the Billy range, which, once the glass doors and a sympathetic knob on each of those are installed, isn't too jarring with respect to a quasi-vintage look. A thirties style sofa is on the list, one day, but will have to come when my current one is too knackered to use any more, as I just don't have the money to change that sort of thing save out of necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn