Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas on softening my A-2?

kschurch

Vendor
Hey Loungers,

I have an Eastman Rough Wear 1401 A-2 in horsehide. I've had it for about four years and although it's showing some nice wear, it's still feels rather stiff.

Any ideas on how to soften it a little? I've applied some leather conditioner to it from time to time, but it seems to have little effect on softness.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
I've never had to soften a coat because i usually get goatskin a-2s...

however, i did have a wonderful talk with the 'leathermaster' at gibson barnes when i ordered a horse a-2 from them...a lot of interesting stuff he mentioned, but concerning 'soft', he stated how their customers are told a horse jacket usually takes 3 months of wear before they do start to soften up...

he had told this to someone apparently who had just purchased a horse a-2

and...if i recall properly, some weeks later the fellow and his wife were in sdiego and brought the a-2 in for some alterations, and g and b's leather master (dave if i remember correctly?) was amazed at how broken in the jacket was...

when the guy wasn't within earshot, he asked the wife what he'd done to break in the jacket so beautifully in such a short time...

she said that her husband slept in it...

one way to get it soft, i suppose

johnnyjohnny

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny said:
when the guy wasn't within earshot, he asked the wife what he'd done to break in the jacket so beautifully in such a short time...

she said that her husband slept in it...

I was half-expecting the answer to have been the way how you soften boots... with urine.
Don't think that would fly too well with a jacket though...

Does lanoline work on horsehide?

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Try running it it through the clothes dryer on the air fluff setting. I had a goat hide one that I did this to for probably 20 hours over a couple of weeks. Worked like a charm.

When starting my collection,now,resulting in quite a few new HH jackets(A2 repros and utility),I was advised to use a plastic spray bottle to get the HH very wet..then wear it untill dry. After several applications...this helps the leather to mold and form to your body and relax. I've done this on all my HH jackets and highly recommend this technique.
HD

kschurch

Vendor
Fletch said:
Rough Year is what you have when you buy Lost Worlds horse. You don't break IT in, it breaks YOU in.

No kidding! I've had this jacket for several years now and have worn it quite a bit. Others I've had surrendered much quicker.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I see that you are in Idaho - try shovelling snow while wearing it. The motion of your arms and shoulders help to soften up even the toughest horsehide. It works even better if it's still snowing while shovelling; the melted snow will penetrate the leather. It worked great for me this winter. :)

Good luck,

Noel

rumblefish

One Too Many
RockBottom said:
Try running it it through the clothes dryer on the air fluff setting. I had a goat hide one that I did this to for probably 20 hours over a couple of weeks. Worked like a charm.

I've done what RockBottom has done to his, on my G&B historical horsehide. I've even draped wet towels on it for an hour or so before the dryer.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
What if I want it softened, but not wrinkled? My Aero HH is very stiff, and I got it in jerky hide, but dont want it to get too much more wrinkly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy