Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impulse buy - Vanson Octagon B Deluxe

pawineguy

One Too Many
I've looked over and over at the Octagon that Thurston lists on their eBay page, always thinking that they look great with the "marbled" character of the leather, but wasn't sure about the reddish/orange hues. I've noticed that more recent batches and pictures of the leather seem a little more natural brown, and finally decided to take the plunge. (And to be fair, their owners have noted that it's not orange in person) For the money, it's one of the more interesting leathers on the market, considering what we (I) pay for Vincenza, Shinki, etc... Not that I'm comparing the Vanson to those leathers, but the Octagon has a great looking grain and interesting color that you don't find much at its price point.

I have owned a B Deluxe before in black, and found it a touch long in the body for me, but I also didn't give it enough time to break in and soften which made it ride up on me a bit while on the bike. I've heard that while Octagon is very thick, it's softer and breaks in quicker than the black, so we will see. I looked at the back length on the jacket and it's actually no longer than anything else I own, so I think now that my perception was skewed by the stiffness of the leather.

Regardless, its on its way to me and I'll post pics and my impressions on Thursday when it arrives.

$_57.jpg
$_58.jpg

Last edited:
Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the jacket, once it arrives. And of course, photos.

For the money, it's one of the more interesting leathers on the market, considering what we (I) pay for Vincenza, Shinki, etc... Not that I'm comparing the Vanson to those leathers, but the Octagon has a great looking grain

Why not? Even brand new, this hide looks phenomenal and I don't think it's going to get any worse with wear. I've zero doubt it is in the same league as any other hide. As for the quality, Vanson is still unequaled, in my not so humble opinion. :D

pawineguy

One Too Many
Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the jacket, once it arrives. And of course, photos.

Why not? Even brand new, this hide looks phenomenal and I don't think it's going to get any worse with wear. I've zero doubt it is in the same league as any other hide. As for the quality, Vanson is still unequaled, in my not so humble opinion. :D

We shall see, I may change my tune when the jacket arrives. I certainly agree that Vanson quality is fantastic, I think it's not discussed because a Vanson is more of a "tool" jacket, a piece of gear, and we are looking at it to protect our hides as opposed to fawning over the leather and straightness of the stitches. I agree that the Octagon should look even better once broken in, I'm looking forward to that process.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a jacket in Vanson's octagon performance weight leather. It's pretty stiff and heavy (my size 48 jacket weighs around 9 lbs) but I really like the color. Here's a couple shots of it:

SMBwgzBh.jpg

525j7L0h.jpg

IwMhC7th.jpg

Damo

A-List Customer
Can't wait to see it!!! I think it's a great on and off the bike jacket choice you made!!! I really like my vanson chopper and I think they are great value!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!

pawineguy

One Too Many
I have a jacket in Vanson's octagon performance weight leather. It's pretty stiff and heavy (my size 48 jacket weighs around 9 lbs) but I really like the color. Here's a couple shots of it:

]

Thanks for posting this Case. The color in your photos is much more what I am hoping / looking for, and as it's still the comp weight leather I expect it to be fairly heavy. I've just heard that it's slightly softer and easier to break in than the black.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
PA that particular jacket has long intrigued me and look forward to seeing what arrives and how it fits.

Edward

Bartender
Look forward to seeing this. Vanson do some great looking jackets. I'm still tempted by the idea of one of their Perfecto styles, somewhere down the track...

I always fancied the Hard Core, myself. It is indeed... Hard core. :) But Vanson's CR are the best there is, IMO. Model A, B, you name it.

1224402968%282%29.jpg

Damo

A-List Customer
I also really like the Vanson Comet in Octagon, I think it would take some time getting used to no hand warmer pockets but without them it makes for a really clean looking jacket

Octagon Comet.jpg

I also am partial to this style as well, I would tweak a couple of things like a shorter slanted chest pocket and maybe add side laces but I think its a pretty cool jacket as well,

2d582849377f50efdc1e3ab341fe9efba9b46211_l.jpg

pawineguy

One Too Many
I always fancied the Hard Core, myself. It is indeed... Hard core. :) But Vanson's CR are the best there is, IMO. Model A, B, you name it.

I like the Hard Core, I always forget just how many different jackets that they make, plus they do some great custom work. Thurston posted a custom C2 recently that looked incredible, much more British styled. Seems like their turn-around with custom orders is pretty quick these days.

Monitor,

That is one nice looking jacket!!! Great taste!!!

Hey, thanks a lot, man! :D You too.

But isn't it a great jacket? It's basically a Perfecto, but the left hand-warmer is also a D-pocket, which by itself is much more useful than just a hand-warmer, you can stick more things in it and they're easier to reach - and there's also a proper pocket in place of a rather useless coin pocket. It's got side laces and full action back. It's not just cool looking, but really, really thought out, well designed motorcycle jacket. Perfecto Perfected. :D

Vanson's got plenty more cool designs for the Japanese market: http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=s&sc=ca1 Check it out. I wonder what the deal is with Model B Tight fit?

pawineguy

One Too Many
I also really like the Vanson Comet in Octagon, I think it would take some time getting used to no hand warmer pockets but without them it makes for a really clean looking jacket

Comet is a nice design, but I do like having the pockets. I like that the B Deluxe eliminates the rear cinchers.

Damo

A-List Customer
Do you know if the B deluxe has a snap back on the collar to keep it down if its now zipped all the way up??

Peacoat

Bartender
PG: I like that darker brown color rather than the orange which I associate with the Octagon. Will be interested in hearing how you like it, and seeing the photos once you get it. PC.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
PG: I like that darker brown color instead of the orange which I associate with the Octagon. Will be interested in hearing how you like it, and seeing the photos once you get it. PC.

Looking at the pics that Damo loaded and some from the Japanese link from Monitor, perhaps it's flash pictures that make the orange pop?? Some pics look brown, and even fairly dark brown, and others have that orange hue. I pulled the trigger because everyone that posts about a new jacket has said it's much more brown and they really don't see that much orange, but I'll know on Thursday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran