Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'm having trouble differentiating between a western and a fedora, or more specifically, what exactly you describe as a fedora. Are you referring to a more stylistic short brimmed version? I mentioned before that my love for hats began with the Indy (which I know were different styles for each movie). I also like the more rugged look with a casual feel, if you catch my drift. If you've ever seen the tv series Justified, the main character wears a custom Stetson. It's got somewhat of a rugged look to it, but he wears it with style. Although I don't want that exact hat, that's the look I'm going for. Now it's been mentioned before that fedoras tend to be softer than westerns, is that why you suggest me looking into customs?

I will take your advice and look into custom made hats. Thanks everyone for all the help. It's been very informative. I apologise for overloading with questions, and if I'm slow to grasp things. I just want to make the right choice before I buy.

Don't feel bad, the definition between them is kind of arbitrary. IMHO, once you get a 3" brim or more, that's in the western category. The crown height for a typical fedora from the 20's they the 60's would have been between 6" - 5 1/2" as an uncreased , open crown hat. The big ol' turn of the century western sometimes had crowns up to 8", 7" was also typical. Modern western hats are more like 6" - 6 1/2".western

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Don't feel bad, the definition between them is kind of arbitrary. IMHO, once you get a 3" brim or more, that's in the western category. The crown height for a typical fedora from the 20's they the 60's would have been between 6" - 5 1/2" as an uncreased , open crown hat. The big ol' turn of the century western sometimes had crowns up to 8", 7" was also typical. Modern western hats are more like 6" - 6 1/2".western
So yeah, a western fedora sums it up :D

I know the original Indy, which I believe was called The Poet, had a pretty tall crown. I don't need anything that tall, but I don't want anything too low either. I guess I'll have to get out my measuring stick and see what I like o_O

So yeah, a western fedora sums it up :D

I know the original Indy, which I believe was called The Poet, had a pretty tall crown. I don't need anything that tall, but I don't want anything too low either. I guess I'll have to get out my measuring stick and see what I like o_O

If you want to buy new and not vintage, you have the choice of buying an outdoors hat that will be stiff but have a modest crown and a 3.25”+ brim or you can go custom. The custom route lets you spec out all the dimensions and the felt type.

If you want a hat with a more flexible brim that is over 3” you don’t have a lot of options in a new hat other than custom. Staker Hats makes a replica Justified hat, but they can make it with a flatter brim etc. as you direct. I ordered a fedora from Staker and I had my choice of a western felt hat body or a fedora felt hat body. The finished dimensions would be the same but the western would be much stiffer. Also, if you like the Dune (I own one in Acorn) you can have a local hatter change out the ribbon inexpensively.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will less stiffener diminish the quality of the hat, or how it will hold up to the elements? I am not sure of the purpose of stiffeners, other than to make the hat stiff.

Westerns hold up better to the elements because they are thicker felts and the stiffeners certainly help them keep their shape when wet. Still, a well-built fedora can take some abuse.

If you can come down from a three inch brim you have lots of options in fedoras such as the Akubra Campdrafts or Federation IVs.

I guess I'm having trouble differentiating between a western and a fedora, or more specifically, what exactly you describe as a fedora. Are you referring to a more stylistic short brimmed version? I mentioned before that my love for hats began with the Indy (which I know were different styles for each movie). I also like the more rugged look with a casual feel, if you catch my drift. If you've ever seen the tv series Justified, the main character wears a custom Stetson. It's got somewhat of a rugged look to it, but he wears it with style. Although I don't want that exact hat, that's the look I'm going for. Now it's been mentioned before that fedoras tend to be softer than westerns, is that why you suggest me looking into customs?

I will take your advice and look into custom made hats. Thanks everyone for all the help. It's been very informative. I apologise for overloading with questions, and if I'm slow to grasp things. I just want to make the right choice before I buy.

Just to muddy the waters, it’s simple to get a western and trim the brim to whatever width you want and them iron it flat or otherwise shape it.

I’m not trying to push Akubra (they too are imperfect) but do give them a look as they might have a ready made hat that is just what you are looking for:

dc30ddd3254aa7d9eb0cae6d03852a36.jpg

6cc4543415bee3f1712102c434b70545.jpg

Lots of other models too....

Brent

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Just to muddy the waters, it’s simple to get a western and trim the brim to whatever width you want and them iron it flat or otherwise shape it.

I’m not trying to push Akubra (they too are imperfect) but do give them a look as they might have a ready made hat that is just what you are looking for:

Brent

You muddied the waters by giving me more hats to look at haha. No really, I appreciate everything. You've dug up hats that I haven't seen yet. I guess I haven't been looking in enough places. And I'm really going to have to mess around with the customs. That's an avenue I'm definitely not used to.

You muddied the waters by giving me more hats to look at haha. No really, I appreciate everything. You've dug up hats that I haven't seen yet. I guess I haven't been looking in enough places. And I'm really going to have to mess around with the customs. That's an avenue I'm definitely not used to.
Another aspect to keep in mind that if you were to buy an Akubra Campdraft in the open crown you can adjust the height of the crown to suit. Having a tall crown gives you the option of giving it a deeper crease to lower the crown. It is an advantage to have lots of crown to work with. That is much harder to do with a western weight as the bash is set in pretty hard and difficult to adjust.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Another aspect to keep in mind that if you were to buy an Akubra Campdraft in the open crown you can adjust the height of the crown to suit. Having a tall crown gives you the option of giving it a deeper crease to lower the crown. It is an advantage to have lots of crown to work with. That is much harder to do with a western weight as the bash is set in pretty hard and difficult to adjust.
When you say bash, are you referring to the crease on top of the crown? I used to be a big fan of the teardrop shape, but now am leaning more toward a standard western crease with a front pinch.

When you say bash, are you referring to the crease on top of the crown? I used to be a big fan of the teardrop shape, but now am leaning more toward a standard western crease with a front pinch.
Yes, and regardless of crease type, with lots of crown comes lots of leeway in how deep you make the crease, how steep the rake (if any) etc etc. When I bought my first Campdraft I thought the crown was huge so I just gave it a deep teardrop with a nice rake. It was fun to play with in the search for the perfect proportions

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family

Brent

Thanks for turning me on to the Lightning Ridge. It is a strong contender. I do have some questions about which I posted in a thread specific to the hat.

Roger K.

New in Town
I just purchased this fedora from an antique dealer and he wasn't able to give me much information other than he thought it was made by Lee Hats for Woolf & Reynolds but wasn't positive. As you can see the hat looks brand new and has no wear what so ever on the crown, brim or even the sweatband, nor any stains on the liner. It says "Beaver Blend Fifteen" but it feels much smoother and softer than 15% beaver. The size tag also states "Custom Made" but not by whom. The only name on it is "Woolf & Reynolds, Inc. Johnstown, PA." When I did some research I found that Woolf & Son Clothing Merchants opened in 1878, and after the father passed away they changed the name to Woolf & Reynolds in 1899 with a new partner. They incorporated in 1903 which gave them their final name. They specialized in fine men's clothing with a showroom on the ground floor and a tailor shop on the second. The best I can figure is they closed shop in 1947 or 1949 which puts the age of this fedora at 70 years old or more. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time and expertise.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l500 (4).jpg
s-l500 (5).jpg
s-l500 (6).jpg
s-l500 (7).jpg
s-l500 (8).jpg
s-l500.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
That’s a nice hat!
Welcome to the lounge Roger K.
You might, “gently” look behind the sweatband, under the liner some for any tags that id maker. Pics of tags would help, and size tag. Till then???
Be well. Bowen

I just purchased this fedora from an antique dealer and he wasn't able to give me much information other than he thought it was made by Lee Hats for Woolf & Reynolds but wasn't positive. As you can see the hat looks brand new and has no wear what so ever on the crown, brim or even the sweatband, nor any stains on the liner. It says "Beaver Blend Fifteen" but it feels much smoother and softer than 15% beaver. The size tag also states "Custom Made" but not by whom. The only name on it is "Woolf & Reynolds, Inc. Johnstown, PA." When I did some research I found that Woolf & Son Clothing Merchants opened in 1878, and after the father passed away they changed the name to Woolf & Reynolds in 1899 with a new partner. They incorporated in 1903 which gave them their final name. They specialized in fine men's clothing with a showroom on the ground floor and a tailor shop on the second. The best I can figure is they closed shop in 1947 or 1949 which puts the age of this fedora at 70 years old or more. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time and expertise. View attachment 118717 View attachment 118713 View attachment 118714 View attachment 118715 View attachment 118718 View attachment 118719 View attachment 118720 View attachment 118721 View attachment 118722

Beautiful! Perhaps the “15” is a reference to its price and not the beaver content? That was common on hats of that era.

RJR

I just purchased this fedora from an antique dealer and he wasn't able to give me much information other than he thought it was made by Lee Hats for Woolf & Reynolds but wasn't positive. As you can see the hat looks brand new and has no wear what so ever on the crown, brim or even the sweatband, nor any stains on the liner. It says "Beaver Blend Fifteen" but it feels much smoother and softer than 15% beaver. The size tag also states "Custom Made" but not by whom. The only name on it is "Woolf & Reynolds, Inc. Johnstown, PA." When I did some research I found that Woolf & Son Clothing Merchants opened in 1878, and after the father passed away they changed the name to Woolf & Reynolds in 1899 with a new partner. They incorporated in 1903 which gave them their final name. They specialized in fine men's clothing with a showroom on the ground floor and a tailor shop on the second. The best I can figure is they closed shop in 1947 or 1949 which puts the age of this fedora at 70 years old or more. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time and expertise. View attachment 118717 View attachment 118713 View attachment 118714 View attachment 118715 View attachment 118718 View attachment 118719 View attachment 118720 View attachment 118721 View attachment 118722
Beauty,congrats.

Roger K.

New in Town
Indeed, the 15 refers to a $15 price point. That in itself is a dating clue of sorts. As previously mentioned, but unfortunately unavailable, blocking and reorder tags behind the sweat would provide more clues.

Lee is as good a guess as any. They were a fairly major player as a jobber at the time.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Thanks for the reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner