Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I agree, but to be honest I haven’t personally handled any of the more expensive hats. I do have a VS made with a NOS 1950s Mallory felt: I like the hat, but I have new Beaver customs I like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, that is the main reason I purchased hats from two of the more expensive custom hatters.....just to see if there is a difference to justify the extra $$$$. I can now say, at least in the two cases, the very slight difference does NOT justify the extra $$$. If the more expensive hatters can command that price or at least have a market for their price points more power to them. I am not obviously part of their target market.

What a lovely Stetson, I'm not surprised that it's the one for topping off a dapper outfit. If you go back up to my photos and look to the right, you will recognise the Stetson box that my Royal Sovereign lives in.

I was so keen to show off the hat that Esther made I forgot that there was two of us at that wedding, remiss of me I know, especially as she made her own outfit.
View attachment 141564

How I empathise with you, a Stetson that I bought from The Village Hat Shop in San Diego, cost $55 postage, then I had to pay a further £8:50 import duty. What a rip off
It is tough when the postage alone approaches the price of a decent hat.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Part of it may also be the target market of the maker. In Texas there are a number of makers of custom cowboy hats that command a big prices (and have clients willing to pay) and then they roll thoses same prices over to their fedora's (of which they build and sell few). Makers build what their customers demand but I personally see a real market these days for some of these custom cowboy hat makers to make and offer some of the traditional styles (fedoras, hombergs) at lower prices. I think there is a market out there that would grow their busineses buy diversifying their offerings.

I agree, in my limited time with quality hats, I have seen little difference between $1200, $600, and $400 custom hats.

Yes, that is the main reason I purchased hats from two of the more expensive custom hatters.....just to see if there is a difference to justify the extra $$$$. I can now say, at least in the two cases, the very slight difference does NOT justify the extra $$$. If the more expensive hatters can command that price or at least have a market for their price points more power to them. I am not obviously part of their target market.

canarsie

New in Town
Want to sell this perfect condition Stetson, cannot find the model. Was purchased from Worth and Worth and to my eye seems like a Stratoliner. Is size 7 7/8. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks very much.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 326
Want to sell this perfect condition Stetson, cannot find the model. Was purchased from Worth and Worth and to my eye seems like a Stratoliner. Is size 7 7/8. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks very much.

I agree that it does look like the Dune Gun Club. The size tag has only imperial sizing so I’m guessing mid 1960s to late 1970s. Maybe??? Gun Club hats usually have liners and/or sweats that clearly identify them as Gun Clubs. I’m not sure what you have there.

The size is rare. I’d guess that for every 100 vintage hats listed as size 7 7/8 only one of them actually is that size.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Dune is the color. I had a Gun Club in Dune but the liner was well-marked as a Gun Club, but then my hat was decades newer.

Dune is the hat, color is probably acorn. No Gun Club hats in the 2018 western catalogue, but the 2017 shows six hats in the Gun Club collection. Catera, Diamond Jim, Dune, Pawnee, Ridgecrest, and Royal Flush.

Dune is the hat, color is probably acorn. No Gun Club hats in the 2018 western catalogue, but the 2017 shows six hats in the Gun Club collection. Catera, Diamond Jim, Dune, Pawnee, Ridgecrest, and Royal Flush.

You know, I went back and found my old photos of my Dune and you’re absolutely right. No surprise there. Sorry about that, Jared. I just called it Dune so often it became the color in my mind and Gun Club was the model rather than the line with several models.

The 2018 Stetson Outdoor line shows the Dune and the color is Acorn.

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f18-stetson-outdoor.pdf

What do you think about this particular hat not having a sweat or liner marked Gun Club?

There was a bell ringing in the back of my head before my first response telling me that I should be hesitant to contradict you. I should have listened. Sorry again.

canarsie

New in Town
Strange how the liner doesn't say Gun Club. It was purchased in the 80's if I remember correctly but looking at the current models on Stetson's website I'm pretty sure it's a Gun Club model. Thanks for the info, I figured someone would know! Was only worn for a photo shoot ages ago and has resided in a box all this time. Now to try and sell it! Also noticed that it only goes up to 7 3/4 now. Mine is 7 7/8. And Acorn is the color. Will have to post on the Classifieds, maybe someone who needs that size might be interested.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
You know, I went back and found my old photos of my Dune and you’re absolutely right. No surprise there. Sorry about that, Jared. I just called it Dune so often it became the color in my mind and Gun Club was the model rather than the line with several models.

The 2018 Stetson Outdoor line shows the Dune and the color is Acorn.

What do you think about this particular hat not having a sweat or liner marked Gun Club?

There was a bell ringing in the back of my head before my first response telling me that I should be hesitant to contradict you. I should have listened. Sorry again.

Oh, no need to apologize. The Dune is another one of those "almost bought" hats.

I don't think the Dune was always sold under the Gun Club collection, which would be my guess as to the different branding.

Oh, no need to apologize. The Dune is another one of those "almost bought" hats.

I don't think the Dune was always sold under the Gun Club collection, which would be my guess as to the different branding.

I’m curious as to what you thought about @jonsey86 Westbound B. I think it would be a hat that in 100 years collectors will be fighting for, but I’m not sure I’d actually wear it much.

chaparrito

New in Town
Hello all!
Not much of a hat wearer here but have always admired vintage hats and accessories. I now find myself under doctor's orders to wear a hat outdoors. Not liking recent trends in western hats, I have been perusing Ebay and elsewhere. I'd really like to find a Stetson Carson in brown or silverbelly with the smaller 3.25" brim and cattleman crown, but find this one intriguing. I'm wondering if anyone recognizes it by model? Seller describes it as a 3.25" brim, and states the crown is ~ 5 in. in front tapering to ~ 4.5 in. in back. Sweatband only indicates the usual Stetson stamps (XXXX) but inside are the numbers shown. I don't know if they'll help or not. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Thanks in advance!
hat copy.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
With that style of hatband, it looks like a few of the models I sold at a Western wear store about 15 - 20 years ago. That said, a piece of advise. If you plan to keep that particular shape, you may want to store it on it's crown. The brim will flatten out if you leave it resting on the brim for too long. Hope this helps! ;)

chaparrito

New in Town
With that style of hatband, it looks like a few of the models I sold at a Western wear store about 15 - 20 years ago. That said, a piece of advise. If you plan to keep that particular shape, you may want to store it on it's crown. The brim will flatten out if you leave it resting on the brim for too long. Hope this helps! ;)

Thanks for the tip. I know at least not to rest a felt hat on its brim. Excuse my ignorance of proper terminology but it seems to me I don't see may hats on many heads these days (I live in cowboy hat country) that have that higher-in-front crown. I wondered if maybe it wasn't an older style. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. I know at least not to rest a felt hat on its brim. Excuse my ignorance of proper terminology but it seems to me I don't see may hats on many heads these days (I live in cowboy hat country) that have that higher-in-front crown. I wondered if maybe it wasn't an older style. Thanks!

There were several hat models similar to this. It sounds as if you might prefer a hat from Stetson’s Outdoor line rather than the Western or City lines. Are you looking exclusively at the used market (not a bad idea)?

I’ll also preemptively through out Akubra; worth the look.

Hello all!
Not much of a hat wearer here but have always admired vintage hats and accessories. I now find myself under doctor's orders to wear a hat outdoors. Not liking recent trends in western hats, I have been perusing Ebay and elsewhere. I'd really like to find a Stetson Carson in brown or silverbelly with the smaller 3.25" brim and cattleman crown, but find this one intriguing. I'm wondering if anyone recognizes it by model? Seller describes it as a 3.25" brim, and states the crown is ~ 5 in. in front tapering to ~ 4.5 in. in back. Sweatband only indicates the usual Stetson stamps (XXXX) but inside are the numbers shown. I don't know if they'll help or not. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Thanks in advance! View attachment 144678 View attachment 144679
Mustang Mike is correct. It's about a 1990's model. They were 3-1/4/3-1/2 x 5" Stockman/Roper crease. I'm stumped at the moment for the Stetson model name but Resistol named theirs the Carson. They were all 4X. That would make you a nice daily hat.

IMG_9662.JPG

chaparrito

New in Town
Sticking primarily to used market for the time being. I have looked for a new Stetson Carson and, I think, thanks to Timothy Oliphant and Justified the Carson with the stockman crease is a special order item now. Plenty of Carsons available with a pinch crown, stockman not so much. I was unaware that Resistol made a similarly named hat. I'll look into that as well. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points