Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely not .. I paid 140$, what I'm worried about is that too much.
Greetings Ozmodius:
Hey man, if you dig the hat and it sounds like you do, then it was worth every penny!! It’s your parade and i’m happy for you. I think it’s a cool looking hat and i have a couple Resistols that are some of the most comfortable wearing hats i own. I love the crease. Resistols are totally underated IMHO. Good get guy. Wear it heads up and chest out!!
Be well. Bowen

Benjamin Cramer

New in Town
27951324_10157157311320550_1687279501_o.jpg 27901772_10157157311175550_153003063_o.jpg

Hi all,

I'm new here, and looking for help appraising a hat. I'm new to this and don't know very much at all!

It is a Resistol "self conforming" Jet 737 I in Black Jade. Size 7 1/4. Brown with a black band and bow. On the inside it says Kitten Finish and Beaver XXX. The initials CAT are found on the inside sweatband, looks like they are poked through professionally. It's in good condition, could use a little love, the inside headband needs to be partially reattached. The original sales tag with hat info is still inside!

If you have any insight for me, it will be much appreciated!

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
That's a very specific question with regards to a custom hat maker, I would have thought most of his customers would go with custom jobs (I know I am when my place in the waiting list comes up). Is there anything specific you want to know or see about the Dusseldorfer? People might have pictures of Leon Drexler's with similar features that might help.

[QUOTE="Zoukatron, post: 2373762, member: 41072"I asked him That's a very specific question with regards to a custom hat maker, I would have thought most of his customers would go with custom jobs (I know I am when my place in the waiting list comes up). Is there anything specific you want to know or see about the Dusseldorfer? People might have pictures of Leon Drexler's with similar features that might help.[/QUOTE]
I own a Londoner and a Cotswold. In both cases i asked him to push the brim and crown just a touch bigger. PM me and I will send some pics if you want.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Are there any hat shops in the Chattanooga TN area that shapes hats ?

If you have a tea kettle it is so easy to do that I have to say that here.

Bring the water to a boil, and when it starts shooting out of the pour spout (remove the whistler first if that bothers you), hold the part of the hat you want to shape over the steam for about 10 seconds, moving it around a little bit. Then take the hat off the steam (so you don't burn your fingers), and push it into shape. Continue the process for the rest of the hat.

Initially, two rounds would be all you need for the most simple hat crease - a center dent and side pinches.

Last edited:
If you have a tea kettle it is so easy to do that I have to say that here.

Bring the water to a boil, and when it starts shooting put of the pour spout (remove the whistler first if that bothers you), hold the part of the hat you want to shape over the steam for about 10 seconds, moving it around a little bit. Then take the hat off the steam (so you don't burn your fingers), and push it into shape. Continue the process for the rest of the hat.

Initially, two rounds would be all you need for the most simple hat crease - a center dent and side pinches.

...and keep the steam away from your sweatband.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Do you have much experience with shantung straw cowboy hats ?
I don't have much experience with shantung "straw" hats. Shantung straw is not really straw at all but is actually made out of a high performance paper which is rolled into a yarn to imitate straw. This, of course, makes it more susceptible to damage from rain and crushing. I've never tried to re-block one so I don't know how they would take to the manipulation. Maybe others here have more hands on experience.

JC225

One of the Regulars
Good afternoon everybody,

This is my first post so I wanted to say hello, I hope all is well and thanks for letting me join the family. I have been wanting a Homburg for a long time and I have finally reached a position where I can make that happen. I'm pretty set on owning an "Optimo" and don't mind paying the cost but because it is an investment, I wanted to ask what your thoughts and or recommendations might be. This will be my first hat and I was thinking, "buy once cry once" and get what I really like.

Thanks.

RJR

Good afternoon everybody,

This is my first post so I wanted to say hello, I hope all is well and thanks for letting me join the family. I have been wanting a Homburg for a long time and I have finally reached a position where I can make that happen. I'm pretty set on owning an "Optimo" and don't mind paying the cost but because it is an investment, I wanted to ask what your thoughts and or recommendations might be. This will be my first hat and I was thinking, "buy once cry once" and get what I really like.

Thanks.
Pretty hard to fault your thinking.I'm sure several Homburg wearers will comment.
In any event-welcome.

In small to average sizes vintage will not only save you money but you’ll end up with a better hat. I’m a big believer in getting what you want and Optimo makes great hats. The problem is that the felt of today does not compare no matter what you’re willing to pay.

JC225

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much, I appreciate the replies. I'm right in the 7 1/4-7 3/8 size range and would love to have something vintage if I could find it. What are some of the better names to look for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner