Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L'Oreal Limited Edition Vintage Colors

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Apparently all the makeup-mania must have rendered me temporarily braindead, because until just now I had forgotten that one of my coworker's husbands is a distribution manager for L'Oreal! I am definitely going to talk to her about all of this tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know if other L'Oreal liners have the same applicators--sponge tip? This made all the difference in application for me.

Just the Lineur Intense product (the gold tube is felt tip,and the gray tube is brush tip)--and I think the shape of the brush, along with the felt tip, makes it so easy to use. It just glides on so effortlessly! I've tried other liquid liners with felt tips (Maybelline and Cover Girl both make their own versions) and the L'Oreal liner is supreme :)

Apparently all the makeup-mania must have rendered me temporarily braindead, because until just now I had forgotten that one of my coworker's husbands is a distribution manager for L'Oreal! I am definitely going to talk to her about all of this tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Can't wait to hear what he has to say :)

fortworthgal said:

Looking forward to the inside scoop with great antisipation!!;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I sent him an email this morning, so I will let everyone know when he replies.

I asked him if the product was available around the country, which stores, and also how long the product line would be available. I also asked if there would be any place to purchase the products online, and about the dead weblink. I did ask if he knows if product displays in stores will be replenished, or if the line will be marketed in the UK or anywhere else.

Snookie

Practically Family
This morning I went to my local CVS to stock up. They were out of a few colors, but I managed to get some good items. When I went to check out, the cleck (who was a young guy, and I think in-training) said "whoa, that's a lot of make-up -- are you going to a slumber party?" :eusa_doh: I tried to explain about the limited edition problem, but I don't think he got it.:)

I liked the shape of Scarlett's nails in the ad campaign. I hope I can find a pic to save as a reference. The nail salons out here don't seem to understand ROUND.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It seems like CVS has the most selection of this line. When I was a kid in Rhode Island CVS was this small individual pharmacy down the street from my house. So strange to hear about people shopping there in California. Totally off topic, but it still amazes me that this little store turned into such a huge chain.
My mom, who still lives in Rhode Island, is gonna check out the CVS's there for the line. She is a dedicated red lipstick wearer, so my only worry is that she'll find it and keep it for herself. I'm just hoping that she can find me the quad pack of the brown shadows, I have the duo, but the quad has been either sold out or not sold at any of the stores I've been to. Hoping my mom will have better luck at the CVS, Walgreens and a local pharmacy called Phreds.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
That is so odd, Daisy! Around here, I haven't been able to find hide nor hair of this or the Revlon lines at any of the CVS stores. Walgreen's has been the one that's had the best selection.

I did check 2 Target stores yesterday, and each only had part of the Revlon line and some of the L'Oreal. It seems like as far as the Revlon goes, some stores are only carrying one "person." One Target I went to had only the Kate Bosworth line, and another had only the Halle Berry makeup - neither of which I wanted. I don't know what that's about.

Daisy Buchanan

The Target around here didn't have any of the L'Oreal or Revlon lines. But, my mom just called me from the Target in Rhode Island and they had a fully stocked display of the L'Oreal. Yahoo, finally got my hands on the brown quad pack and another brown liquid liner with the felt tip. She also bought a Button up Red for herself, I knew she would like it. Everything she found at Target was $1 cheaper than what they had at CVS. Don't understand why the Target near me didn't have it. I'm really wondering about the marketing techniques of this company, it seems so aimless. Still keeping my fingers crossed that I will find some more in NYC. I figured since it's limited edition I better stock up. I have fallen in love with too many lipsticks which were dicontinued, I don't want to run out for a long time or at least until they release a new line that I like as much.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info JitterbugDoll, I appreciate it.

The plot thickens with the distribution manager! Can't wait to hear what he says!

Also, I got a reply from L'Oreal. Form letters like this tend to just make me more peeved since I know most of this information already and it doesn't address what I wrote about directly. I guess that's what makes it a form letter though. ;)

"August 23, 2006

Thank you for your interest in L'Or?©al products.

The products you inquired about, with spokes model Scarlett Johansson are promotional and are manufactured in limited quantity and for a limited time.

This product was recently introduced and is in the process of being shipped to stores nationwide. It may be available in your area shortly.

We are committed to bringing our consumers high-quality, innovative products. Your comments will be shared with our management.

Sincerely,
Aliya Wiggins
Consumer Affairs Advisor
Ref # 3700700"

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Walgreens (at least around here) has been keeping pretty well stocked up on these products. I've always preferred liquid eyeliner over the pencil. for some reason, I"ve never liked the finished look of a pencil [huh] ..but I'm excited about hearing about these sponge tip ones.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I just received a reply from the distribution manager:

Along with our basic line, L’Oreal produces displays that often have what we call promotional shades – meaning they are not in our basic line. Unfortunately for you, all the shades on the SCARLETT displays were promotional. As such, we do not put many pieces of any shade on the displays. When they sell out of the display, they’re gone, and are not restocked. So yes, each store may only have 4 eyeliners and 6 lipsticks. Of course this means that the shades sell out more quickly, but it is a limited edition, and the products are just not produced in the quantities of our basic line.

The “SOME LIKE IT SCARLETT” display shipped out to stores July 1st and would have gone to most of the retail outlets in the metroplex, i.e., Wal-Mart, CVS, Ulta, Walgreens. Target and Albertson's may also have bought it, although I know that Albertson's now has Cover Girl displays up, so they may have already sent back the SCARLETT displays. You would have to inquire at the individual store. Each chain has different policies and more often than not, individual stores within a chain will handle the displays differently. I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer on that.

The limited edition products are not available for sale online. As far as availability around the US, I only handle distribution in the local region. To my knowledge, the plan was to distribute the line nationwide and not just in selected markets. I will check with the other managers and see what I can find out, and let you know.

Daisy Buchanan

fortworthgal said:
Okay, I just received a reply from the distribution manager:

Along with our basic line, L’Oreal produces displays that often have what we call promotional shades – meaning they are not in our basic line. Unfortunately for you, all the shades on the SCARLETT displays were promotional. As such, we do not put many pieces of any shade on the displays. When they sell out of the display, they’re gone, and are not restocked. So yes, each store may only have 4 eyeliners and 6 lipsticks. Of course this means that the shades sell out more quickly, but it is a limited edition, and the products are just not produced in the quantities of our basic line.

The “SOME LIKE IT SCARLETT” display shipped out to stores July 1st and would have gone to most of the retail outlets in the metroplex, i.e., Wal-Mart, CVS, Ulta, Walgreens. Target and Albertson's may also have bought it, although I know that Albertson's now has Cover Girl displays up, so they may have already sent back the SCARLETT displays. You would have to inquire at the individual store. Each chain has different policies and more often than not, individual stores within a chain will handle the displays differently. I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer on that.

The limited edition products are not available for sale online. As far as availability around the US, I only handle distribution in the local region. To my knowledge, the plan was to distribute the line nationwide and not just in selected markets. I will check with the other managers and see what I can find out, and let you know.
I got a similar reply from my regional distrubutor. Love the "Unfortunately for you" line. Really don't get this company. If I didn't like these limited edition colors so much, I definitely wouldn't buy from them. I find the tone of this message and the one they sent me to be rude. They really have a lot of problems with their company and their marketing. If I sold a product that everyone loved, I would want to make more of it. It's good for all people involved. Verses making only limited amounts and then saying tough for you....

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
L'Oreal is a pretty successful company. I mean, I know that WE love this line - but does everyone else in the country? I wonder how it seems to be selling with the "regular" makeup-wearing masses.

I agree that their handling of the limited edition lines could be vastly improved. Obviously if a display sells out quickly, restocking it with product would bring more revenue! That's just common sense. Also, their idea of supply and demand is totally screwy - even for a limited edition product. Let's say we have 50 stores carrying the line here in Fort Worth, and each have 6 of the Decked in Red lipsticks - which is probably an exaggeration, but for the sake of argument. Well, that's still only 300 lipsticks in a city of half a million people! I will say that I think that the odd handling of the displays (some stores not carrying it while others do, some stores only carrying parts of it) is probably due to the individual stores and not L'Oreal itself. That's just my take on it.

I wonder what will happen to the "leftover" product, when stores take the displays down. In my email, he mentions that he thinks Albertson's may have already 'sent the stuff back' because they now have Cover Girl on display. Is all this stuff going to end up in Big Lots for $2 each?

I'm seriously thinking of just going down and buying up all of it I can and reselling it here. lol

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Where or where is the l'oreal in NY

I've hit CVS, Walmart, Riteaid, Target... no sign of any of the limited addition offerings in upstate NY (well, at least not my part of it anyhow).....

anyone else here from NY have a l'oreal sighting?

Honey Doll

synapse_shock

New in Town
I work at a CVS in rural Ohio. We have not received the Scarlet display. Although our planogram menu for the "Fall Beauty Sale", which begins this Sunday, displays it.

I only hope you do not take your frustration out on the clerks.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal said:
I'm seriously thinking of just going down and buying up all of it I can and reselling it here. lol

well count me in for at least one of the eyeliners. they sound great!

i checked at target today and hardly anything was left, so it must be going over well with the masses.

i'll check wally-world tomorrow. i do recall seeing the display there a little while back.

lara

katiemakeup

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:
CherryRed said:
traincase.jpg
CherryRed, I have the Rita Hayworth Max Factor ad! Who is the actress on yours, I can't tell...

DAISY~ while you are in NYC, you should try to check out the Besame counter @ Henri Bendel!

I have yet to see the Scarlett display, I am probably too late...

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
katiemakeup said:
I have yet to see the Scarlett display, I am probably too late...

No, not too late. I went to my Walgreens just yesterday and found the Scarlett display. It was about 2/3 full and I was able to pick up the eye liner and a "Buttoned Up Red" lipstick.....will probably be going back today to snag some of the eye shadow.

Jonni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner